“Decent stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Parami Guesthouse
Berlin, Germany
“Decent stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

The room was clean and adequate for our needs as well as the service. The shower had nice water pressure. The staff was friendly and helpful. Roger was very accommodating with our reservation when we needed to make a change. Overall, a positive experience.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

This is with out doubt a great place to stay. The staff are lovely. Especially the young lady at reception, very helpful. The guy who runs the hotel, he was very kind too. The rooms were great, very clean. Clean showers/toilets. I loved the theme of the hotel, like a little secret garden, very well kept and beautiful. The fan worked fine, and even got a bit chilling with it on, so no needed for an aircon room. The breakfast was lovely, cooked very well, the coffee was one of the best coffees we had a while, while travelling around Thailand. The hotel is 10 minute walk to the markets. Great place to shop and eat. With out doubt this hotel, is great value for money, and we would absolutely come back again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 5, and was lovely and peaceful.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

My experience at Parami GH was absolutely wonderful. Roger was more than accommodating to my touristy questions and was extremely helpful booking my day trips for me, getting my bus ticket, etc. His staff was wonderful and make delicious banana pancakes!!! The room was quiet and roomy, with a hot shower attached. The fish pond and little garden in the back were wonderful to escape to from the busy city life. Its a two minute walk to lots of yummy restaurants on Ping River and just 10 minutes from the market. Awesome hostel, awesome experience. I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in Chiang Mai!

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

I have been traveling in SE Asia for over 2.5 months and staying at budget hotels and hostels throughout. I was pleased to find Parami after doing a thorough search of places - the reviews seemed promising. WRONG!

The pictures are totally misleading. Choose the worst picture and imagine it 3x worse, then you may have an idea of what this place is like. I thought it was a bit odd when I first arrived and the owner (a Swiss gentleman) was rude, insulting, and aggressive upon check-in. Whatever, I figured it was cultural differences and moved on.

Got to the room and was blown away by how different it seemed from the pics and reviews. Was I even at the right place? The location is far outside the Old City. Much further than anticipated - especially when walking.

I laid down on the bed and felt every spring in the mattress. Awful. Still trying to think positively, I went out and enjoyed the day. When I returned I walked in the room to find 2 jumbo cockroaches racing each other across the top of the bed. I nearly vomited in my mouth. I can't stand roaches, so it was quite possibly the worst thing I could have seen. I immediately tried logging on to hostelworld to find a new place, but the WiFi didn't work. I went to tell the owner and he first told me I was lying about the roaches (huh?) and then yelled at me for informing him that the WiFi didn't work. I was so taken aback I didn't know what to do. I sheepishly went back to my room and tried rocking myself to sleep.

Early the next morning I got up and found that my entire body was covered in bites. Not mosquito bites, not spider bites, BEDBUGS! It was the icing on top of the cake.

I wanted to cry. I was scheduled to stay a second night and just grabbed my stuff and left (while the owner shouted at me that I would still be charged for 2 nights).

This was a nightmare come to life. I strongly urge you to stay elsewhere, even if it costs a few extra bucks.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Dguar77
Guesthouse-Manager, Manager at Parami Guesthouse, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
If all this is true we wondering why we have a high performance between 80% - 90% and so many nice reviews on , hostelworld.com, hostelbookers.com and tripadvisor.com.

Management
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Worst experience in SE Asia for sure.

The Swiss owner is rude, short tempered, and very unfriendly.

Rooms smell of mold and are tiny. Little privacy either. You have the choice of having the window open for the viewing pleasure of all the staff and guests, or closed and suffocated. Note that you need to walk outside to get to your "private" bathroom and shower and that Internet in the room is non existent.

Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere. There are plenty of great, cheap options in Chiang Mai with friendly and professional management. We changed locations and are thrilled we did.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank DNAinSEA1
Guesthouse-Manager, Manager at Parami Guesthouse, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
We guess this must be the traveller witch was asked last month to leave our place immediately because he’s behaviour was for the Guesthouse not acceptable. We are not wondering that this is the quintessence we face. The bad review was already threatened.
Management
Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

Very nice guest house, bit noisy from the main road and if you have a ground floor room it can also be noisy from the upstairs rooms, wooden floors, the management are very nice, staff very nice. Lovely setting - steppy-stones throuh fish pond to rooms. Lovely back garden with hammocks. Lovely little cat called Shorttail who had an accident and who lost his brother recently.

Room Tip: Upstairs room with air com - downstairs rooms fans.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lyon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

I spent three nights at Parami around Christmas time in December 2012 and I had an excellent stay. Previously I had stayed at a new fancy hotel (mainly for backpackers) in the heart of the city but Parami gave me a good impression as soon as I was welcomed by the owner.

The owner, his wife and his staff are very friendly and helpful. Their breakfast in the morning is very good. The bedrooms are good too, clean and comfortable enough to have a pleasant stay in Chiang Mai.

Roger is very helpful in providing tour advice and make bookings. He rented a motorbike for me at a cheap price. The guest house also has a small massage and beauty centre next to it, but men and women can enjoy a traditional Thai massage.

The guest house is about 15 min away from the city centre, but the walk is enjoyable, and it feels so good to be out of the city when you want to have a quiet night!

Overall, I had a pleasant stay and would recommend anyone to go there! I'd definitely go back to this guest house should I visit Chiang Mai again as a solo traveller!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo