“very cosy”
Review of Julie Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Julie Guest House
Ranked #133 of 833 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 January 2010

Julie's gusthouse is a great place to stay for a couple of days when u are in Chiang Mai. This guesthouse has a very laidback easy atmosfere, good way to meet new people. The rates are quite low and ok, the rooms aren't very luxurious, but come on, u dó not want that when u are in Asia:)
The food is ok (i went there 2 times, in 2006 and 2008), they can arrange everything (trips, tickets, they even figure out your travel shedule) and there's always relax music. Chiang Mai is a lovely city and Julie's a nice place for backpackers. Unfortunately it is quite popular, so u better email your reservation in advance (couple of days), it was the second time i travelled the only way to get in.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 November 2009

The staff at Julie's Guesthouse were very accomodating! They even made a special room for my group of three travelers. The food was good, the beer cheap and the decor welcoming. It was in a great location and only a short tuk tuk ride to other "nightlife" areas.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed in a 1 bedroom + bath. One of the long-haired female staff at the reception desk was grossly unprofessional. She flirted and hit on my boyfriend, even in my presense. Otherwise, the walls & doors are paper thin, so noise level is high. When others flush, it sounds like they're loudly flushing in your room. So, unless you're single and want to stay someplace dirty and unkept, I would recommend another guest house for equal the price, cleaner environment, and professional service.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2009

Julie's was wonderful.

My boyfriend and I stayed there for four nights in July 2009 and had the best time.
First off the rooms were really good for the price. Basic, but a lot nicer than many other guest houses/hostels we stayed in in Thailand.

The chill out areas where great! Lots of space to sit around, socialise with other travelers, read a book ect. So many cool people, all happy and willing to talk with us.

The staff were really helpful. We booked a cooking class and the 'flight of the gibbons' through them and everything was done so well. We had leftover food from our cooking course and the staff even kept it for us in their fridge and then heated it u for us for dinner!

We also booked a tuk-tuk to take us to the zoo and to pat a tiger and the tuk-tuk driver was great. Unlike a lot of tuk-tuk drivers in Bangkok, the driver didn't try and rip us off, was really helpful and even bought us water from the supermarket without expecting any more money!

We ate there a few times too. The food was lovely! As others have mentioned, they have a honesty policy with the fridge, so you just take something, write it in the book for your room, and then you pay at the end.

I adored Julie's. Whilst people have commented that it's in the 'old' part of the city and far away from things, it only takes 10 mins to walk into the 'new' part.

A highlight of my trip!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Julie's was a very pleasant experience. From the lovelty teak room I stayed in.

I can't agree that the staff are not attentive or helpful. They are both -providing impartial info when you need it. Food is good and as mentioned before the honesty bar, where you write down what you take from the fridge, is deifinitely a great and rare. All in all very good for the price.

I recommend Thai massage place a few doors down and the tuk, tuk bar that sometimes pulls up outside late at night.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Julie's is a great little place - really popular to stay in Chiang Mai. I was travelling on my own, and as soon as I walked in, I knew i'd be in for a great time. There is a nice reception area where you can just sit with a book or something, and then people will sit next to you and start chatting. They run a tab system, so you can order food and get drinks out of the fridge, and they will tot it up at the end of your stay. So you only need go to the cash machine once.
I had a "superior room" for 350 bht. This was fine for me, was clean, no air con. The shower was clean (and I am fussy) and the loo worked. I can't speak for the other rooms though. The room had a double bed, a desk, and like a seperate little room to keep my backpack in and stuff, and the en suite too. It's not like a proper hotel - its definately rough and ready, but it was exactly what I needed.
All the other people in the hostel were dead sociable - I guess ranged in age from 18 - 30ish. I didn't feel old though, and i'm 28.
Wasn't too noisy at night, but maybe cos my room overlooked another courtyard where people were just reading. There is also a roof terrace too.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2009

Julie’s was an ‘experience’. We had wanted to stay in a genuine backpackers in Thailand during our trip in January 2009 so we booked a ‘superior twin’ room at Julie’s which had received a lot of positive feedback on Trip Advisor. This ‘superior twin’ room was the most expensive option at 250 baht per night (approx AUD12.50 per night for both of us). If I had my time again I would undoubtedly spend that little bit more to stay somewhere a whole lot nicer (somewhere like the $30/night place we stayed at in Kanchanburi - Blue Star Guesthouse). That said, we stayed there for our booked 6 nights as we were settled there and we spent such little time there it didn’t really matter.

Be warned Julie’s is located in the old area of Chiang Mai and there are not a lot of attractions in the surrounding area. At night it feels a little dodgy. If I was to go back to Chiang Mai I would stay on the other side of the city – near the Night Bizarre as this seems to be where all the action is. For breakfast you have limited choice in the area – we tried a few along the street and the best was ‘Same Same Guesthouse’ – great omelettes, chai tea and excellent, friendly service.

I had two problems with Julie’s, the first was the service (or lack there of) and the second was the cleanliness (or again lack there of).

The service was non-existent. Having experienced such personalised, friendly and go out of your way service in our accommodation in Bangkok and Kanchanburi it was disappointing to be treated like a number. It was the kind of place that when you went to the front counter rather than a ‘hello’ or a ‘good morning’ you got an impatient ‘yes?’. You could jump on a tour from Julie’s but the staff had no interest in talking about the details of the various tours or indeed selling them to you. Very unfriendly.

Our room was basic as expected but the bathroom was quite disgusting – thongs definitely required to shower. My biggest objection was sleeping under doonas that clearly did not get washed between people and with no flat sheet. As the owners of Julie’s are Scandinavian they traditionally only have a fitted sheet and a doona (no flat sheet) on their beds. This is fine in your own place but not in a backpackers. I asked for flat sheets but was laughed at – they couldn’t understand why I would want one!

The advantages of Julie’s were limited – it was surprisingly quite considering the large cushioned area, pool table, honesty system alcohol fridge and chilled out atmosphere that was always packed with lots of backpackers relaxing. It looked like it would have a rowdy crowd at night. Not sure why you would go all the way to Chiang Mai to sit in a dingy backpackers but if this is your thing then maybe Julie’s is for you. We were never woken at night despite being in a room on the corner of a path that lead to a lot of the rooms.

The other advantage was the honesty system for drinks… up until 11pm each night the fridges in the main area could be accessed and were stocked with beer, soft drink, water and yoghurt which you could take and just write down what you took in a supplied notebook for your room and then just pay at the end.

In summary, I would recommend you skip Julie’s and just pay that little bit more for a whole lot more!

• Stayed: January 2009