“Decent place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Chiang Mai White House
Ranked #157 of 717 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
“Decent place to stay”
Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

I liked the staff even if they were a bit cranky. There seemed to be somewhat of a decent atmosphere with a mixed bag of people. I would stay agian if I wanted yo be in that particular area of town.
A few things that i thought were odd: 10am check-out and no soap provided in wc. Showers were nice and hot.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank lukeghyselincks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Finnish first
Bangkok
Reviewed 24 January 2013

My experience at the White House did not start well. My flight was delayed so did not arrive until 10pm. There was no staff at the reception, just a guard. The guard had no idea what to do, which I don't blame him since it isn't his responsibility to sort out check-in. He had to make several phone calls before I was able to get into the room.

The room was very small, and the bathroom miniscule. My room was on the street, and it was very noisy. There is a bar so the noise carries on after midnight.

There are no elevators. The guard helped me with my bag, which is very nice, but if you have big bags, be prepared!

Room Tip: Get a room off of the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Fribourg, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Stayed there for 4 nights and loved it!
Very helpful staff (also for tours and treks, to book directly with them), good breakfast, good location in the old town of Chiang Mai. Room was big enough, clean with hot water, AC worked.
We loved it and will stay there again, for sure!

Room Tip: Very quiet and still in the center.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Corinne M
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Its a same I can't write a good review for this place as the French guy who runs the guest house was really helpful but the rooms are so poor I've just had to write this. The walls are so thin you can hear everything so don't expect to sleep. Its also overpriced as you can get a lot better in this location for less.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Trigsta
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed here for about a week, and overall had a really good experience. However, this was largely due to the facts that

1) the owners (bp and lek) are so nice and great to be around and made a really nice atmosphere downstairs
2) the location is on a great soi (street) - close to action, but yet amazingly quiet

Were it not for these two things, which mean a lot to me, i would have reviewed it with fewer stars. My room was a bit dingy and except for an occasional burst of signal, the wifi didnt reach me on the top floor. It was also a tad more expensive than other places on the same soi (i gave another hotel on the same street a resounding 5 stars here fyi).

Room Tip: try and get a room on the lower floors so you can get wifi in the room! the signal didn't reach...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank daniel m
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I don't like to give poor reviews but after staying at this place over the years (first visit 5 years ago, last visit last month) it has certainly gone downhill.The mattress was horrible!! I don't think it was even a mattress, more like the box spring and it was so worn down and lumpy. The rooms are old and not so clean and the bathroom was horrible. This last time we stayed on the first floor and the toilet would erupt (make a loud splashing sound) every hour or so. The family who runs it is nice and the common area is an ok place to hang out. Only thing good is the location but as other reviewers said you can find better on the same soi.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hoppab14
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I would give this property 5/5 if I'd of just come out of the local prison, but I haven't , so I won't .
The location is great, slap bang in the middle of the old city, just a short stroll to the many historical sites , restaurants, cafes and bars.
For 500 baht I wasn't expecting a lot and was left underwhelmed with my AC room ,en suite plus tv. Typically for a room in this price range the AC was knackered, bathroom grubby and my misses reckons she got bitten in bed ( not by me I hasten to add).Some noise at night from other guests rooms.The staff were indifferent and wifi only works in the reception area. I found the American bf sub standard for the 90 baht paid.
I would recommend staying here if you've just arrived in Chiang Mai after a long journey and all the other GH on this soi are full and you've lost the will to live and even then I'd go for a fan room.

Room Tip: Go for the fan rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple