“Good base to start our trip to Laos”

The Chiang Mai White House
Ranked #152 of 736 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Budapest
“Good base to start our trip to Laos”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

besides decent lodging the CNX white house provides a small travel agent desk run by a nice resident "Swiss Farang", who made a very good, well priced working arrangement to get us to Luang Prabang via Thai- and Lao-minibuses and a one day Mekong boat trip.
The house management is nice and easy going. Many little restaurants in the side street and on the main street around the corner. Although in such a centre position there is no noise disturbance. A budget world traveler´s place.

Room Tip: take a room with AC
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MartinHo50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Finnish first
Busan
Reviewed 11 May 2013

The location is great, very near to several markets and places to eat in Ciang Mai. For the younger or partying inclined crowd there's a boisterous and lively bar area not far away, but far enough to keep any noise from reaching the guest house itself. I could get anywhere I wanted in town by foot and it was a great launching off point for many of my daytime wanderings that I like to do regardless of the city I'm in.

I stayed in an aircon room during the off season and received a discount for an extended stay. The aircon was powerful and more than enough to cool the room considerably. The room was a good size. The shower gave good, hot water if one were so inclined but I mostly took cool showers given the heat during my visit. The bed could have been more comfortable, but it was nothing to complain about and I slept fine.

Wifi is strongest in the courtyard area but on the third floor I caught a signal and had no problem streaming videos to my iPad.

The courtyard area is great and relaxing. The atmosphere is nice and it's a great place to relax and meet other travelers and have a chat.

The staff were great, including the family who runs the place. I was able to arrange private taxis via this place to take me where I needed or wanted to go and any questions I had about the area were answered. They even helped me arrange a flight back to Bangkok as I was traveling without a credit card.

Probably not the place to stay if you're an early 20s person looking for a raucous time, but excellent for those who want mellow and still at the centre of Chiang Mai's tourist and guesthouse district.

Overall an incredibly nice stay and I will come back next time I'm in Chiang Mai.

Room Tip: There are fan and aircon rooms. The aircon is worth it if you're not used to the extreme temptre...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank srp83
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Stayed for a few days in a fan double. The room, while getting old, was clean, and large for the price (350 baht -- aircon rooms are 500). There was some occasional construction noise from neighbouring properties, which was annoying, but unavoidable. Some noise from the pleasant downstairs garden area does reach the rooms, but another reviewer's suggestion that there is a bar here is not really accurate -- there is a fridge containing beer for guests and some seating. We noticed no noise through walls.

The vibe is quiet, friendly and mature, this is a guest-house run by a very nice family with two adorable Jack Russell dogs. Seems to be a mix of dignified older guests and approachable Euro/Anglo tourists. Wifi is not fast and reception is limited above ground floor. Mattress was lumpy and dented but nothing worth complaining about except here on TripAdvisor. I've stayed at The White House twice in the last decade and I don't feel that this place has declined in quality.

In summary: 350 baht fan doubles are good value amid pleasant surroundings, very close to Thapae Gate area. Rooms seem to be in constant demand during high season so book ahead.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

I liked the staff even if they were a bit cranky. There seemed to be somewhat of a decent atmosphere with a mixed bag of people. I would stay agian if I wanted yo be in that particular area of town.
A few things that i thought were odd: 10am check-out and no soap provided in wc. Showers were nice and hot.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank lukeghyselincks
Bangkok
Reviewed 24 January 2013

My experience at the White House did not start well. My flight was delayed so did not arrive until 10pm. There was no staff at the reception, just a guard. The guard had no idea what to do, which I don't blame him since it isn't his responsibility to sort out check-in. He had to make several phone calls before I was able to get into the room.

The room was very small, and the bathroom miniscule. My room was on the street, and it was very noisy. There is a bar so the noise carries on after midnight.

There are no elevators. The guard helped me with my bag, which is very nice, but if you have big bags, be prepared!

Room Tip: Get a room off of the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Fribourg, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Stayed there for 4 nights and loved it!
Very helpful staff (also for tours and treks, to book directly with them), good breakfast, good location in the old town of Chiang Mai. Room was big enough, clean with hot water, AC worked.
We loved it and will stay there again, for sure!

Room Tip: Very quiet and still in the center.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Corinne M
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Its a same I can't write a good review for this place as the French guy who runs the guest house was really helpful but the rooms are so poor I've just had to write this. The walls are so thin you can hear everything so don't expect to sleep. Its also overpriced as you can get a lot better in this location for less.

• Stayed January 2013