“Uncomfortable and overpriced”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Smile House Guest House
Ranked #534 of 736 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Uncomfortable and overpriced”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed at Smile House Guest House for 3 nights, 8th to 11th February.

My bed was terrible. Springs poked up through the mattress no matter where I lay making it impossible to sleep comfortably. My bed sheets had clearly not been changed and I could feel dirt and grit all over them. In fact, the whole room was dirty. The a/c was noisy and seemed ineffective. There were lots of tiny black bugs all over the walls. There are far better and cheaper options.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I stayed two nights, my room wasn't cleaned. The pool is not cleaned very often and it only takes a day for it to look disgusting. I didn't see anyone swim in it whilst there.

For 700 baht for an air conditioned room this place offered nothing special with no use of the internet or breakfast included.

There are plenty of better places in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

Smile house was a great place to stay for the pool and locations. The non-aircon fan room I stayed in was stuffy and average, a bit dark. The bathroom was lackluster and felt a bit old. They have free wifi, but you have to pay for the computers.

The best part, hands down was the pool areas and common spaces- it's a perfect have to hill out and cool off somewhere quiet.

Overall a good place to stay, but go for an aircon room

• Stayed February 2013
Albury, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I chose Smile House due to it's wifi, location and the pool. However I was generally disappointed. The wifi was absurdly rubbish, and not until the last day did I discover that there was an additional 'paid' wifi service - I had asked about the terrible wifi connection to be told it just wasn't that good, no alternative was offered. So I spent a lot of time and money in restaurants and cafes to use good wifi.

My room was nice enough -on the third floor, however the mosquitoes would follow me into my room in the evenings. I suspect this would be worse with the rooms by the pool.

The cleaning was barely sufficient. The toilet had not been cleaned, nor flushed prior to my arrival! There was dust on all ledges, the top of the mirror etc - and very visible due to the light colour of the room. In the 5 days of my stay no one came into my room (which was comforting from a security standpoint), however there wasn't a 'Please make up my room' sign on the door to ask for cleaning. If I'd stayed longer I'd have asked reception to have sheets changed etc.

Only one powerpoint in the room worked.

The pool was nice enough, although in the end I only got to use it once :-(

The common room / cafe area was nice, but loaded with mosquitoes - more fans needed!!

Otherwise the staff were nice and helpful with the few things I asked for, such as booking a taxi to the airport. I didn't try the food.

Great location with a laundry and water refill station nearby, and loads of restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Bournemouth
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This venue is badly run-down.

The room I stayed in was dark, fairly dirty and generally depressing. The bed was very firm, but that seems to be typical of Thailand so I considered it fun culture shock. I was woken up by various things early in the morning. The shower was a thoroughly miserable experience due to it being very dirty and dark. The highlight of my stay was being startled by a strangely flat-headed lizard that popped up through a gap in the tiling while I was shaving. I was a bit concerned about electrical safety as well - the wiring in the bathroom didn't look great. Wifi was available but very glitchy. This all made for a grim couple of nights.

The rooms are cheap by western standards but you can get a lot better for the money in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

St. Paul
Reviewed 5 February 2013

It had a Decent breakfast menu, though it was not included in the price. The staff weren't very happy or chatty. They mostly moped around. This property held everything from young travelers to families with kids. Beds were stained. Showers were dirty. Most rooms have only fans (AC rooms are more expensive). Lots of bugs inside the room. A roach spotting or two were made in 3 days. It was noisy early in the morning. Checkout is at 11. They will store your luggage which means set it in the middle of the lobby all day. Do not stay here if you are allergic to cats!

Room Tip: Try a room that's not on the ground floor. Maybe it will have less bugs. Get a room away from th...