“meh”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Smile House Guest House
Ranked #528 of 733 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Tacoma, Washington
“meh”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Pool was nice, and they were flexible with my dates as I traveled the region (and came and went). Otherwise I feel like there might be better value elsewhere. Shower pressure was minimal, toilet struggled to flush, a/c didn't work too well. Additionally for some reason there was constantly mosquitoes in the room at night. Overall pretty shabby. As a solo traveler/backpacker I don't exactly have super high standards, but I just thought it wasn't much for the money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

I loved having the pool and the location is awesome. Wifi was really bad though. No food served here, which was a bit annoying. Good place to meet people. Staff is really friendly. Overall, I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2013
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Really loved this hotel. There are plenty of drawbacks - a lack of elevators and curtains, which means the sun will interrupt your sleep every morning - but these were more than compensated for by the lovely staff, the chilled-out pool area and the fact that it's about two minutes from the centre of Chiang Mai. It's probably overpriced, but I felt very comfortable there, which was worth paying a premium for.

Room Tip: Ask for something on the west side of the building, if possible, to shield yourself from the sunrise...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed at Smile House Guest House for 3 nights, 8th to 11th February.

My bed was terrible. Springs poked up through the mattress no matter where I lay making it impossible to sleep comfortably. My bed sheets had clearly not been changed and I could feel dirt and grit all over them. In fact, the whole room was dirty. The a/c was noisy and seemed ineffective. There were lots of tiny black bugs all over the walls. There are far better and cheaper options.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I stayed two nights, my room wasn't cleaned. The pool is not cleaned very often and it only takes a day for it to look disgusting. I didn't see anyone swim in it whilst there.

For 700 baht for an air conditioned room this place offered nothing special with no use of the internet or breakfast included.

There are plenty of better places in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

Smile house was a great place to stay for the pool and locations. The non-aircon fan room I stayed in was stuffy and average, a bit dark. The bathroom was lackluster and felt a bit old. They have free wifi, but you have to pay for the computers.

The best part, hands down was the pool areas and common spaces- it's a perfect have to hill out and cool off somewhere quiet.

Overall a good place to stay, but go for an aircon room

• Stayed February 2013
Albury, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I chose Smile House due to it's wifi, location and the pool. However I was generally disappointed. The wifi was absurdly rubbish, and not until the last day did I discover that there was an additional 'paid' wifi service - I had asked about the terrible wifi connection to be told it just wasn't that good, no alternative was offered. So I spent a lot of time and money in restaurants and cafes to use good wifi.

My room was nice enough -on the third floor, however the mosquitoes would follow me into my room in the evenings. I suspect this would be worse with the rooms by the pool.

The cleaning was barely sufficient. The toilet had not been cleaned, nor flushed prior to my arrival! There was dust on all ledges, the top of the mirror etc - and very visible due to the light colour of the room. In the 5 days of my stay no one came into my room (which was comforting from a security standpoint), however there wasn't a 'Please make up my room' sign on the door to ask for cleaning. If I'd stayed longer I'd have asked reception to have sheets changed etc.

Only one powerpoint in the room worked.

The pool was nice enough, although in the end I only got to use it once :-(

The common room / cafe area was nice, but loaded with mosquitoes - more fans needed!!

Otherwise the staff were nice and helpful with the few things I asked for, such as booking a taxi to the airport. I didn't try the food.

Great location with a laundry and water refill station nearby, and loads of restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo