“Excellent Place For Those On A Budget”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Smile House Guest House
Ranked #547 of 756 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Excellent Place For Those On A Budget”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I certainly recommend this place. At first when I arrived I thought I made a terrible decision. There were some guys looking like they were partying a bit too hard and my blanket didn't appear to be washed properly. Nothing better than someone else’s hair and drool on your bedding! A far cry from the relaxing and picturesque atmosphere I was hoping to find but I’m not too much of a diva so I figured I would weather through and see what would happen.

The gentlemen checked out the next day and my bedding/room was cleaned upon request. SG had wonderful staff that were very friendly and made the venue have more of a home feel. One night they had a birthday party thrown for I think one of the staffer’s teenage daughters and invited guests that were around to part take. Truly wonderful folks. The staff did not try to push any tourism on you or force you to use their services. I inquired about laundry and they gave me the option of having them do it or if I wanted to save money there was a Laundromat a minute or two away that could do it for me. The pools were kept very clean; the showers had an abundance of hot water and the pressure was manageable. I went on a kayak trip with folk who were staying at three different guesthouses and aside from the group that was staying at a ritzier place everyone had terrible things to say about the showers at their venues.

The nights were by and large quiet, the neighborhood is safe and the animals are very friendly. I was warned on arrival wifi may be non-existent in my room and the dog wouldn't like me (because I’m a woman) BUT the wifi worked great and the dog loved me. The cost of rooms is actually fabulous! I am checking out places to stay in Bangkok and wishing I could just take SG with me in my back pocket for the rest of my voyage. Initially I only planned to stay at the guesthouse for a few nights while devising where/what I wanted to do next. Between the city and SG, I ended up staying about two weeks. If I am ever back in Chiang Mai SG will be at the top of my list for places to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Seriously go an stay here if they have a free place for you!
Apart from having a super price-to-value ratio, cleaness, friendly staff, good breakfast etc. its perfect to relax during the day! You can just chill by their 2 nice pools - either one will be in the sun and it was perfect! Go Go Go!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wilhelm H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

This place is very central and not expensive for the actual rooms. However they charge to use the lockers and 150 baht to have breakfast (looks like just toast and cereal, you can get a full fry up for the same price locally!). The service is not amazing either, perhaps the name is making up for the lack of smiles on their faces...! The beds are a bit hard and the sun hardly reaches the main pool all day (but there is small pool that does however). The bathroom had lots of ants which sometimes made their way into the bedroom area.... Also there are big gaps on the doors so not soundproof (nor very insect proof!).

Also 36 hours before we were due to check out, we put our laundry in after asking if it should be done in time and they said it would be done the next night. Turns out the next day was cloudy and it wasn`t dry. When we asked about it they gave it to us unfolded and still damp. We asked for it to be hung up again for the night. We got it back the next morning folded, but we were missing lots of underwear and socks (we didn`t realise until our next stop on Koh Tao...).

Ok for a couple of days maybe, but they need some work on their service!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
SEA
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Walked in when we arrived to chiang mai going by lonely Planet book, they had only one room left for 2 nights, which turned out to be a good thing. The bathroom was not clean, and had at least 20 little fly bug things in it, and mold . TV and wifi reception were both bad. The pool I think is the lifesaver for this guesthouse, other than that there is not much going for it . Will overlook this one on next trip to chiang mai.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We arrived early in the morning after a night in the bus from Ayhutthaya so we quickly wanted a room. Our room was spacious but dirty, the shower was falling apart and the sheets were not clean. At night many scooters come by, no idea why. Plus many dogs were barking close to our window during the night. The best and only good part of this place is the pool!! We heard from others, staying at Julie's Guesthouse, that they payed less per night and had were happy with their choice.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

A very cosy place located perfectly in a Quist street in the old town. Lots of great restaurants nearby. The room was not very nice though. Dirty, dark and dirty towels. The other guests were quite noisy at night. Fine pool area. Only stay there if the room standard is not important to you.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Reception is open all night which is handy Note that this guesthouse tends to attract families and people with kids due to the pool. The wi-fi is decent, none of the 4 advertised computers work (which they failed to mention until after check in). They keep a cat which has no feeling in it's legs, and it tends to cry a lot and several guests mentioned they had been woken by it in the morning. That said it iss off the main road so there is very little traffic noise. Some of the lower end rooms feel a bit 'motel' but they're clean and functioning.

• Stayed July 2013