“Nice enough”
Review of Glur Chiangmai

Glur Chiangmai
Ranked #62 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 9 March 2010

When Thais try to do a boutique hotel, it's invariably owned by people who are NOT hoteliers and it shows. It's difficult to totally recommend this place because the owners just dont seem to "get it". I get the impression that the place is not doing well. I'd say it was never over 15% occupied whenever I was there and I never saw anyone in the adjacent tea rooms or dress boutique and I can understand why.

Firtsly, let me say that its a great little place, great location, not bad value, stylish/chic, nicely appointed. I would recommend it for a nite or two. No more than 3.....because there are simply no places to relax and chill. The common areas are either too small, occupied by the owners, or too uncomfortable.

My guess is that this place is owned by a wealthy Thai-Chinese family (very common for a boutique hotel in Thailand), who treat the place like their own little private hangout, rather than a service driven hotel (also very common). The family will play cards in the small lobby or eat a communal dinner there....making the guest feel like they are interupting when u go to ask for something at the front desk. And who do you ask? Nobody has a uniform or name badge.The distinction between guest and staff becomes blurred and that is simply unacceptable in a hospitality business. If you are a wealthy family and you own this hotel as a little hobby, then u would see nothing wrong with eating a meal or playing cards by the front desk. "This is my hotel...I own it.....it's mine, I can do what I want" would be the thinking. But for a guest...it's just plain wierd.

If you are NOT a hotelier, then u fail to put into place some of the basic systems that hotels require. Curtain cords dont get replaced when they fall off.....mini bar foods fall months out of date....the swimming pool gets very cloudy.....there were no plug sockets anywhere near my desk in my luxury room. And there was a constant problem with both the wifi and hot water in some rooms (including mine). The latter was a disaster and was not fixed during the 3 months that seperated my 2 stays. The staff are well aware of the problem....but seem to take the attitude that its just something the guests should put up with. Consequently a bath took 40 minutes to run and the shower was unusable because of the huge temperature fluctuations.

I would love to recommend this place, its a lovely little space in a great location.....but it wont survive because it is not being propely managed. On the final day I did meet the family son who was charming and extremely helpful.....jumping on a scooter and taking me to the local bank to get some dollars for my visa run that day.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Glur Chiangmai

Reviewed 14 March 2009

We stayed in Chang Mai at the Tea Vana for 4 nights. It is a short walk (10 mins over the bridge) to the night market. There seemed to be very few people staying in the hotel during our visit and we were extremely well looked after. The hotel has a quaint boutique feel about it - it has been done in a very tasteful chinese theme and everything appears to have been created and continues to be looked after with care. The rooms are not large but again are quaint. The pool area is great for relaxing after a day walking around the city. I particularly liked reading my book on the huge poolside swings! The hotel is fairly quiet and is just outside the hustle and bustle of the night market. I will continue to recommend this hotel to anyone who tells me they plan to visit Chang Mai.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Char61
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 16 January 2009

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 29 October 2008

Booking was made through Holidaycity website. No problems and the hotel check in was smooth.

Location is excellent, only a quick ride in the tuk tuk or relaxing walk your are in the middle of Chiang Mai.

Breakfast was a joy.

Rooms nice and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2008

I had a great experience stayed in Tea Vana. It is a lovely boutique hotel. Before the trip i read few negative opinions about Tea Vana. So i just book for the last 3 nights accomodation in Tea Vana for my 7 days tour and the 1st 4 nights i stayed in the hotel which is alocated in town centre.
After I reached Tea Vana I feel that I should booked the whole tour accomodations in Tea Vana.
The service is very good.They pick up us from an other hotel without any charges because the previous hotel staff sent us to the wrong hotel. All staff are very friendly and hardworking.
The room is very clean and tidy. The decoration and design of the room is lovely, unique and sweet. I stayed in the Rose and Lychee room for 2 nights and changed to Friut Tree room for the last night. The matress and pillow is very comfortable.
Room rate is about 1200bath per night inclusive 2 braekfast. The breakfast is a set menu. The food taste good and poision is big. I perfer this rather than buffet style. I also try the hitea set from the T-bar. Only 350bath for 2 person. The T-bar environment is great. Really worth of it!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Read a review in Lonely Planet but didn't get a chance to research more prior to our walking in and booking on-site. We got a low-season discount and it was worth the price. Good or bad, I think we were the only couple there that night (one-night stay), so we had the pool and hotel services all to ourselves!

Our room was clean (not a single insect!), and nicely decorated. Breakfast was to order, rather than the usual buffet, which was fine, unless you're a really big eater. Free internet service. The pool was decent for a cooling dip. A little bit difficult at times to communicate with the hotel staff but everyone was extremely polite. Not too difficult to walk outside and catch a bhat bus or tuk-tuk. Was only there for a day so didn't get much of a chance to explore the immediate area, but it didn't seem too far from anything- although be sure to have the address or a little map with you, as we noticed a couple times that drivers weren't always familiar with the name!

Overall, a great stay!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2008

I went to Chiang Mai for 3 days and I have stayed at Tea Vana Hotel. I find the room very superb. They have a massive bath tub and excellent room facilities. The staffs are nice and they serve delightful meals. I have tried different kinds of Chinese tea, which I think is the signature of the hotel. It takes around 15 mins. from Chiang Mai Airport. The night bazaar is also nearby, only a walking distance to the hotel. If you are looking for a charming accommodation in Chiang Mai, I would
definitely recommend Tea Vana Hotel.

Stayed: March 2008