“Disappointing”

Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #66 of 788 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 June 2012 via mobile

Booked this hotel based on TA reviews and for the first time have been in complete disagreement and totally disappointed.  The pictures on the hotel website must be very dated because I found the property to be very worn, white walls stained gray in spots, cracked/chipped counters, holes in the wall tiling and ceiling. But really it was all the ants that bothered me - it was like an ant farm  in the room. Small ants running all around, the bathroom, room wall running out of the bathroom, on the wardrobe/closet doors, on the desk, on the tv, and even in the mini fridge! We came back after the first day and there s couple of ants that had gotten into a zipperseal/ziplock bag we had on the desk.  We also had a second room and saw small ants in the bathroom of that one as well - the problem seemed less severe than the other room, less ants, but larger ants. I understand the local environment is prone to insects but I don't expect to have such a serious issue in the rooms of the guesthouse. I just hope the ants aren't in my luggage and bags as well now.

Separately, service was fine. Breakfast (we only tried American) I found to be ample and not small or poor as other reviewers have noted. It is basic, coffee/tea, toast, eggs, choice of bacon/sausage/ham, and a small plate of fresh fruit but I think quite fair for an included breakfast of a hotel of this class.
Good location.

• Stayed: June 2012
parasolinn, Owner at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Dear Our Honor Guest,
Thank you for placing feedback and taking the time to do so. I really value your comments and take these on board to improve our facilities and services. Sorry for the inconvenience on your recent visit at our Parasol Inn. I will be reviewing about the ants problem but as you know ants comes in humid weather plus it is a rainy season in Thailand. We have had maintenance to a check on the comments about our worn out rooms but i guess our staff did their best in changing you to the new rooms. It would be great if other guests see the same problem but unfortunately I don't get any other bad reviews cause that would make me take action right away. All guests comments are my goal in running a good hotel so thank you once again.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Great location Sunday markets on your door step and the beautiful historical Chiangmai all around u. The hotel is in a perfect location with massages restaurants and tourist shops all around this hotel. The rooms were so nice and clean and the staff were so friendly and helpful. I rented a bike from them and went all over this old city

Room Tip: Rent their bike and travel Chiangmai
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
parasolinn, Manager at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Dear Our Honor Guest,
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you love our leisure around the hotel location, our room and especially our staff. Thank you for taking the time to post such positive feedback!

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Excellent small hotel in the heart of old Chaing Mai. Right on the doorstep for the Sunday walking market. Good cafe's and restaurants close by.
Staff were first class very good English. Breakfast ok, rooms have nice decor bed comfortable.
Have booked again for November.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed ok
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Our Honor Guest,
I was delighted to read your review; it’s always a pleasure to receive positive feedback!
We look forward to welcoming you back to our Parasol Inn in November.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I visited Chiang Mai in August 20011 and again in Febuary 20012 to have dental work done.
I spent about five weeks in total in Chaing Mai and around four weeks at the Parasol.
I found the Location great ,the motel is very clean and well presented and , the but most of all I found the staff exceptional. Nim and Ning and the rest of the staff treated me as you would expect to be treated by close family friend,they where very helpful and gave me great advice and made my stay a memerable one . John S

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

Dear Our Honor Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Parasol Inn. Once again i would like to thank you for all good feedback about our staffs.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed three nights at The Parasol Inn. It was a five minute ride from the train station and had an excellent location right off the street where the Chiang Mai Night Market is located during the weekends. We stayed in a room for three; it had a huge queen/king sized bed and another full sized bed. The room was very clean and had excellent A/C, and the bathrooms even came with shampoo and soap dispensers. The hotel staff was very pleasant and very nice. We used the laundry service on the last day and it was a great price and clothes came back looking great.

Our room had a window facing the main street and we could see the Night Market from it. While you could hear some noise from the Market, it wasn't distracting in the slightest. We were so tired after every day we fell asleep and stayed asleep with no problems. There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance, as well as 7-11s, plus you're only a few blocks from an entrance to outside the wall.

Each morning included a breakfast at their attached restaurant, which was plenty of food. We didn't try anything else there, but it was a beautiful little place.

I would definitely go back and stay there again.

Room Tip: Stairs were a bit steep to climb (they were all different rises so it felt very awkward to walk up...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steph01924
parasolinn, Owner at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments about Parasol Inn Chiangmai.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your holidays so much. I will share with our team your comments.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

The Good:
1. Location: Right at the crossroads of the Sunday Night Market. (Although you do have to walk quite a few blocks to get to the Thapae Gate and the daily Night Market which are more at the center of town.)
2. Clean rooms and friendly service (locked my key in my suitcase and one of the staff helped me try the lock open)

The Not-so-Good:
1. We asked for an airport transfer and the hotel charged us 300 Baht for one way. When we got to our room we saw a flyer that said airport transfers cost 150 Baht for one way. Huh? So we complained and the front desk gave us some story about how they hire out the car service for transfers, etc. Anyways, in the end the hotel offered to pay for our transfer back to the airport when we left. So it all worked out, but beware of this if you book this hotel!
2. Complimentary Breakfast was pretty meager. We constantly asked for hardboiled eggs and they always brought us eggs that were still VERY runny. Even after we asked to be done for 10 minutes (just to be safe) they would still bring back runny eggs. The servings are quite sparse as well.

HEADS UP: The tours available to book through the hotel are about 200-300 Baht over-priced. You can book the EXACT SAME tours if you go around the corner to another tour company for several hundred Baht (on average) less!!!!

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Room Tip: For breakfast I suggest asking for the menu. The complimentary breakfasts are meagre and there are f...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comment so i can be updated on what my customer is dealing with.
Please let me begin, by apologizing for the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us at Parasol Inn Chiangmai regarding our services.Let me inform you that the rate you see is for our hotel car which is not available that day and to hire taxi to pick you up they charges two ways since they leave with empty car but if you come in town taxi station is at the airport they charged one way which is 150 Baht. Our custormer should have given you a clear information of what is going on and they should have offer to let you use red car taxi which is much cheaper. For your breakfast we now hire new waiter who speak and understand better enlish. Now corrective action have been taken. For the tours we are not over priced but we use better car for the service and we give the full tour but the way they can make it cheaper they use no aircondition truck this is no excuse but it is the real fact. We appreciate you taking the time as this feedback helps us determine areas of improvement. We would like to make it right "Our goal is to satisfy all customers needs". We would once again like the opportunity to serve your needs in the near future.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2012

I have stayed at the Parasol Inn twice now. In addition to the stylish Thai decor, the staff are the hotel's most charming feature. Excellent location for the Sunday market, and reasonably priced rooms (esp if you book for more than two nights). They're currently extending their restaurant to include live music and a more fully featured bar.

Room Tip: Only the Grand Parasol rooms have a balcony or window with a view, the other rooms' internal win...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Rob V

Dear Our Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments about Parasol Inn on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your holidays among us.
Nice to hear you are back to us for second time. We look forward to be in your service in next visit.
Best Regards,