“Wonderful hotel in a fantastic location”

Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #71 of 775 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This is a great hotel, right in the center of the Old Town. The best part was heading out the door of the hotel on Saturday night, and being right in the middle of the Saturday Walking Market. The staff was friendly and helpful, the breakfast was delicious, and the location can't be beat.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back side are darker, but much quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
parasolinn, Owner at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Dear Our Honor Guest,
Thank you for your thoughts and comments of the hotel during your recent stay. It's great to hear that you enjoyed location, views around,and our staffs. Your comments on Parasol Inn hotel have been very helpful and i will share this comments with my team.

There are newer reviews for Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality

Reviewed 31 July 2012

This hotel has all the best you wanna have for your stay in Chiang Mai; small, clean, real in the center of Old city, close to Temples.
Staff is great, always smiling and helpful.
I would definitely come back here.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

This hotel has a prime location inside the old city, next to the Lanna Architecture museum. It's on a main drag of temples and museums, and at a central crossroads for the Sunday walking market. The Saturday walking market is a walkable distance. Breakfast can be part of your package; we found it passable (chicken porridge was best option). There are a few cafe and Thai-style restaurants in walking distance - but be prepared for a bit of a hike if you need snacks or toothpaste.

That said, it is walkable to many main attractions: Tai Ping gate, Waroros Market, the night bazaar. The hotel can arrange most any kind of tour, transport or guide that you'd need. All the staff were very friendly, helpful and energetic. We hired a car with driver for a 1/2 day (Bt600 just for the transport) to do the Tiger Kingdom, Insect Zoo and a temple: the driver (one of the hotel staff) was very helpful with my son. There is also a foot and fish massage in the lobby, and you can arrange Thai or other full body massages through the hotel. The masseuses seem to come from a natural healing shop down a soi nearby - we saw one of my masseuses there on a morning ramble.

It can be a bit loud if your room is street-side, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be on Sunday ... there's a lovely folk singer at the intersection, whose voice was a soothing sendoff to sleep. The structure is concrete, but they have colorful murals on the walls in Lanna style. Unfortunately, our room was somewhat awkward in configuration, with an enormous lamp which took up the entire bedside table. Few electric outlets. TV with decent selection of cable (I travel with a teen and a tyke so this is a necessity for us). Everything was very clean, and although the water pressure wasn't amazing we had plenty of hot and good drainage. I peeked into other rooms on our floor (Antique Lanna rooms) and some were definitely better laid-out.

We are planning another trip to Chiang Mai, and this is one hotel we will stay at again! Good value for the location and service - but if you want ultra-chic, posh decor with a lot of extra amenities at your fingertips, then probably not for you.

Room Tip: If you like a good view, and don't mind traffic noise then the rooms facing front are for you. I...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
parasolinn, Owner at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Dear Honor Guest,
It was a pleasure to read of your experience during your stay with us; I have noted your comments in relation to the electric outlet and the lamp on bed side, and will review this area with my team. I hope you have the opportunity to visit t again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Perfect location in the old city right on (Sunday's) Walking Street, quirky hotel with character, a bit tired, cleaning of a high standard, good value, service great, food great, overall a great place to stay, would stay again. Around the corner the "Writers Restaurant & Wine Bar" top place and great value, for something special the French restaurant 75 meters away, opposite the Buddhist Temple and College, a little dearer but A1 in all respects.

Room Tip: The larger rooms are better, stayed there twice once large, once smaller, the beds are good but not...
1  Thank Tazzie6

Dear Honor Guest,
I was delighted to read your review; it’s always a pleasure to receive positive feedback! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We picked this hotel based on pictures and reviews knowing just that we wish to stay in old city and pay an affordable (though not strictly budget) price. Parasol went above our expectations on all accounts. We picked an "Ancient Parasol" type of room and received a perfectly clean and tastefully decorated room with traditional furniture. The room itself does not have a window, i.e. it does but it opens into a bathroom that in turn has a window overlooking an active Buddhist temple next door. A little weird design but it did not bother us in any way. In the morning you will be woken up by small bells and prayers. Provided breakfast is standard fare but tasty and fulfilling. Location is fantastic, smack in the center, at the intersection of two major roads (little traffic so no noise problems) and should you stay here on Sunday, major market is right at your doorstep. everything else is just a short walking distance away.

What makes this place stand out head and shoulders however is service. Front desk girls (we met Nim and Danil) are fabulous. They went out of their way to point out attractions and places to eat. They also booked all our trips, negotiated discounts everywhere and even managed to book a rafting trip (that we forgot to book earlier) overnight!

Only remark I have is that bed was really hard.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Our Honor Guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent visit at Parasol Inn Hotel. I was pleased to read that your experience with our location, morning prayers, food and the service of our staff exceeded your expectations; in particular with our Ancient Parasol . We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

I was visiting Wat Phra Sing (a monastery) for a couple of weeks at the beginning of June. With my aunt, who speaks Thai, we started at the Wat and looked at every hotel and guesthouse on the way to Wiangkliang intersection. We also checked most other places within two blocks of the Wat. Why did I stop looking at the Parasol Inn? Because I was greeted by the beautiful English and sincere smiles of the staff. Nim was outstanding and made me feel welcome, and we negotiated a longer-term rate. Then I asked to see a room. I was shown other rooms before room 201 (see pictures). Stop right there, Nim, I am sold! A room covered in original paintings and decoration, good furniture, excellent Thai bed, clean, well appointed and a view out the bathroom windows to the monasteries behind and around the hotel. We finished discussing price and I moved in that afternoon during a monsoon. As I held my case and bags above the knee deep water and stepped up onto the curb at Parasol, a swarm of gentle bees spilled out, took my things and ushered me inside. I felt welcome.
Since there is staff 24 hours a day, in coming and going, I got to meet all of them. In fact I enjoyed discussing English with them so much, we took a couple of trips to a sister hotel (same owner) and met their new staff too. It was a blast!
Nim did another especially amazing thing for me when she set me up to visit Elephant Nature Park (don't confuse the names with other elephant centers). It was the most amazing experience of my life. Visiting and interacting with elephants who had been rescued. Thank you, Nim!
The morning breakfast was a bit different for me. With food allergies, I had to ask for a "special" breakfast, which just excluded things I couldn't eat, so most days I would have eggs and rice or fish soup (fish and rice only). You really should pay for a smoothie, made right there from fresh fruit. They're excellent! Mr. Sai and Ms. Phon the servers, Ms. Nee the cook, and the manager Ms. Beer did so much to accommodate me, I can't thank them enough. Without them, I would have been sick for most of my trip.
Let's run down a quick list.
*Towels - clean and fluffy.
*Bedding - clean and fresh, no stains.
*Bathroom - supplied with liquid hand soap, body and shampoo liquids in the shower - the dispensers are nice and neater than little bars.
*Bed was comfy for a Thai bed - different country=different beds - I never woke up sore.
*TV - more than sufficient, plenty of English channels (sometimes in the heat of the day, you may want to retreat to your cool room).
*Overall noise levels - I was in 201, and everybody has to go past 201 to get to their room, stairs or not, and I was never woken up by people in the halls.
*Staff - housekeeping always cleaned when I was gone, no matter what my schedule, front desk always had an answer - they helped me send out my laundry: good choice! Nim, Ning, Tal, thank you! Lala, who gave me a couple of rides, thanks for a safe, comfortable ride and excellent conversation.
*Breakfast (included) - good choice of eggs, meats, toast, etc., plus Asian breakfast option. The view from the restaurant of everyone rushing about in the streets is hypnotizing.
*Rates - very comparable to the area. Be sure you compare apples to apples, this is not a guesthouse. If you need a bigger room, or like the look of a different room, spring for it! You're only paying $35-40 bucks - live it up a little and spend $45!

And finally, I will tell you one last thing. The people make the hotel. I felt cared for, I felt a part of their family. Even if you just want someone to stop to ask a question of, or find your place on the map, or arrange a tour, you should really talk to Nim and the front desk staff. You can trust them, absolutely.

You'll like the Parasol Inn.

Room Tip: Not all of the rooms are the same, in fact few are. Look at the decor (ask for a hand painted room i...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank DiskOrDisc

Dear Our Honor Guest,
Thank you very much my very dear guest for your kind comment. And especially for adding all good details of our services. I will surely share this with my staffs. I was pleased to read that your experience with our location, cleanliness, food and the service of our staff exceeded your expectations; in particular with all details. We look forward to welcoming you back .

Reviewed 29 June 2012

this is the most amazing relaxing place that I ever been to. My freind recommanced me to stay at Parasol Inn just for perfect location as heart of Chiangmai old city. Warming welcome , freindly , and helpful staffs as original Chiangmai hospitality that i had very impressed and i cant leave Chiangmai because of this place. the room is nice and good value we have all facilities we need and have a good sleep every night. around this hotel such a perfect location 2 steps walk to the restaurant and bars; juice shop, Spa, Cloths shop, tour agency and every thing aroud you. On Sunday everning you will enjoin walking street all so cheap !!. we rent the moto bike and ride around old city then have a good massage cheap and good job.

I really want to come back again soon and only this place will make my trip more convenience and good service.

Thank you all staffs and K. Nim the manager with beautiful smile.

Room Tip: Location is perfect!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Our Honor Guest,
Thank you for your thoughts and comments of the hotel during your recent stay. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the rooms, location, views around, the staffs service and the food. Your comments on Parasol Inn hotel have been very helpful and i will share this comments with my team. Thank you again for your comments and I hope to see you here again sometime soon.