See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had a great stay here. It offers great value for money and is nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. As well as having good facilities. The staff are all really helpful and good fun to boot. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a good location and value.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Hearing all these horrible stories about this hotel makes me wonder once again whether my expectations are lower or whether the other reviews are for another place as I had no problems whatsoever with Chiang Thai House during my stay. Stayed at in the Royal Suite Room which was beautiful. Staff were extremely helpful in bringing all our stuff up to our room and pointing us in the right direction.

My girlfriend and I did a week long tour from Chiang Mai to Pai and Chiang Rai before heading back to Chiang Mai. As we were doing this by motorbike we had to leave our big bags somewhere and at Chiang Thai House this was not a problem at all.
They kept our stuff locked up for a week for free even though we were not even paying for a room there.

The pool isn't great as it's enclosed between buildings but good enough to cool down after a day in town.
Breakfast had lots of fresh fruits and other foods which were delicious.

No complaints from me and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get the Royal Suite
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This guesthouse is just great. I stayed here for 6 nights with my girlfriend in December. When we got off the Bangkok sleeper train at Chiang Mai station, tired and weary, we were greeted at the tourist office by a representative of the hotel offering a free transfer to the hotel with no obligation. I would never normally accept such an offer but there was something about his manner which was trust-worthy so we went ahead.

On arrival, we were shown a very good room - a bargain at 400 baht per night. We took it for a night and, after wondering around Chiang Mai for a day or so, we quickly realised Chiang Mai Thai House would be hard to beat in terms of value and price, so we booked for another five nights.

The staff are very friendly and the whole place is beautiful, especially at night, when they light lanterns, dotted around the stairs, corridors, swimming pool and bar.

Location-wise it is great too, being just outside the East gate of the old town. It seemed to me that everywhere within the walls of the old town was pricier and worse value for money, and I was grateful to have stumbled across such a place.

Thank you all at Chiang Mai Thai House!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2013

My girlfriend and I arrived at Chang Mai train station where we were greeted by the manager of the guest house. He assured us we came to the right place and with the facilities listed and TBH400 per night, it's a back packers ideal scenario.

He drove us free of charge from the station to the hotel where he reassured us if we do not like the accommodation, we can walk away free of charge. Sure enough it was good enough, especially for the price we were quoted. He immediately begun piling all sorts of tours and activities upon us, we hadn't even had the chance to take luggage to our room. We both are wise and clued up, so we went in search of different travel agents to find the cheapest possible deals. As you would expect, we managed to find what we wanted at a much cheaper price elsewhere THB500 to be precise.

Whilst at the travel agent, she asked where are staying and sure enough we told her, what came after shocked us. She told us that it's best we get picked us somewhere else for our own benefit, this is because she has dealt with 2 clients in the past who came in and booked a tour with that travel agency. The coaches picked up the both couples (on separate occasions), later upon their return after their day trip out, they returned to their room to find that their luggage was gone and that they had been thrown out for not booking the tour through the hotel. When asked where their luggage was, they were told that it had been thrown away.

We initially booked 2 nights accommodation but planned on staying for a whole week. After visiting the travel agent we realised we needed to get out and find somewhere else. We had to extend our stay by at least 2 day to ensure we had a roof over our head and time to hunt for new accommodation. We asked if we could book a further 2 nights where they told us to wait so that they could look at bookings. Sure enough the manager came over and said we may have 2 rooms and then begun making conversation about a trek that we initially enquired about. When we said we were still unsure if we wanted to do it he told us that he only had one more night available and that if we do a trek he may be able to cancel someone else's booking for the room or we could pay more for a bigger room. This is where we begun to see his true colours and begun feeling like prisoners.

That evening we made a smart move and asked to look at the treks again, just to give him the impression that we want to book a trek in order to hopefully gain another nights accommodation. Our plan worked and we managed to get our second night. By this point we felt really trapped in a prison and sceptical every time we returned to our room. We successfully managed to go on our trek. His attitude towards us from day 1-3 dramatically declined and we realised he offered cheap rooms and makes his money on the tours. We told him we were returning to Bangkok, instead we went slightly up the road to S.K House 1 where the service and hospitality is much better for THB400 a night, although it's not as nice as Chang Mai House.

The accommodation itself was nice, big enough room, bed sheets were never changed once when we were there, okay shower room, food okayish and the pool is rubbish for sunning it up.

Overall the hospitality was horrific which made it a terrible experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank julianfromlondon
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I read many of the 'terrible' reviews and fortunately we did not encounter any of these problems. There ARE many signs posted with rules but most are just common sense, check out at 10 did seem a little strange but we left on an early bus so it was not an issue, and there was an undercurrent to buy our packages but there was no rudeness when we didn't.
Two problems we did have, the wifi keep dropping for our room (the end of the ground floor) and the aircon left quite a puddle of water on their wooden floor after running all night.
The good, reasonable price, nice size clean room, good bathroom and shower, quiet and efficient aircon (besides the puddle) and swimming pool.
I would recommend this hotel, if you have a problem there's always the Thapae Boutique Hotel directly across the Soi which we also stayed in and had an included breakfast but smaller rooms for roughly the same price.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple