See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed at the Chaing Thai House for 4 nights while in Chaing Mai and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were very unique and decorated nicely. We particularly enjoyed sitting out on the balcony and watching the sunset each evening. Close to the Night Market.

Room Tip: We had 3 rooms and all were really nice. The corner rooms are a bit bigger but not by much.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here because our trekking company recommended it. I wouldn't stay there otherwise. The staff was not at all friendly. In fact the main one I dealt with was down right rude. They are not in a great location. When we arrived it was late at night but we were hungry. They told us not to walk to the right because it's dark and not safe. They pointed to the left but it didn't feel any safer. It was a good walk to a restaurant but there weren't many choices. The rooms were fine but nothing to talk about. We were there less than 12 hours so I guess it was fine. At least breakfast came with the room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had a great stay here. It offers great value for money and is nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. As well as having good facilities. The staff are all really helpful and good fun to boot. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a good location and value.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Hearing all these horrible stories about this hotel makes me wonder once again whether my expectations are lower or whether the other reviews are for another place as I had no problems whatsoever with Chiang Thai House during my stay. Stayed at in the Royal Suite Room which was beautiful. Staff were extremely helpful in bringing all our stuff up to our room and pointing us in the right direction.

My girlfriend and I did a week long tour from Chiang Mai to Pai and Chiang Rai before heading back to Chiang Mai. As we were doing this by motorbike we had to leave our big bags somewhere and at Chiang Thai House this was not a problem at all.
They kept our stuff locked up for a week for free even though we were not even paying for a room there.

The pool isn't great as it's enclosed between buildings but good enough to cool down after a day in town.
Breakfast had lots of fresh fruits and other foods which were delicious.

No complaints from me and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get the Royal Suite
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This guesthouse is just great. I stayed here for 6 nights with my girlfriend in December. When we got off the Bangkok sleeper train at Chiang Mai station, tired and weary, we were greeted at the tourist office by a representative of the hotel offering a free transfer to the hotel with no obligation. I would never normally accept such an offer but there was something about his manner which was trust-worthy so we went ahead.

On arrival, we were shown a very good room - a bargain at 400 baht per night. We took it for a night and, after wondering around Chiang Mai for a day or so, we quickly realised Chiang Mai Thai House would be hard to beat in terms of value and price, so we booked for another five nights.

The staff are very friendly and the whole place is beautiful, especially at night, when they light lanterns, dotted around the stairs, corridors, swimming pool and bar.

Location-wise it is great too, being just outside the East gate of the old town. It seemed to me that everywhere within the walls of the old town was pricier and worse value for money, and I was grateful to have stumbled across such a place.

Thank you all at Chiang Mai Thai House!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple