See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Rooms were decent, decent price, decent food. However, they really push on the tours they offer, and customer service sucks. The second we got there they sat us down and asked us what tours we wanted to do. We said we didn't want to do the trekking or tiger temple and then they said oh you don't like tigers or elephants? And the owner of the hotel threw a temper tantrum and yelled at us for not giving him the right change, even though we did. Overall, the customer service down right sucked and was very unprofessional. There are plenty of other places to stay in Chiang Mai which would probably have better customer service and wouldn't force their tours on you.

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Brenna A
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Althought the young lady at the front desk is really nice and smiling, the rest of the staff becomes mean and rude when you dont book a trip with them. Expecially the boss, JJ.
The place is fine for the price u pay but I do not like to stay in a place where I feel unconfortable. The trips are expensive and the way of compelling u to buy them is really annoying.

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Mic1918
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed in Chiang Mai Thai House for eight nights, including the nights during the annual Songkran festival in April. I stayed with one other person in a fairly spacious fan room, which has a nice bathroom and hot water. The large window was east-facing and there were no trees shading the building, which made for some hot nights until we strung a bedspread up to serve as blackout drapes. But the pool offers a nice chance to relax and cool off. The location is prime, only a couple hundred meters from the gates to the city and within walking distance to Chinatown, various markets, the river, bike rentals, and restaurants galore, although the hotel offers decent food at a good price. It is a few buildings off of the main street, and peace prevailed even during the rowdy days of Songkran.
The hotel offers the typical tour services and the boss, JJ, actively tries to persuade guests to participate in these. Sometimes these persuasive methods take on a rather threatening feel. Though he puts on a façade of laid-back friendliness, JJ is turns out to be curt, dismissive, and defensive, and by the time I left I was reluctant to ask even innocent questions, such as, “Can I order a cup of coffee?” The rest of the staff ranges from stern to friendly, but all of them are more interested in making sure guests play by the rules – of which there are plenty – than anything. There are probably plenty of other good guesthouses in the immediate area where your money is better spent.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Logan A
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The room was ok as well as the location but the customer service was absolutely disgusting. When we first arrived and they showed us the room they were pleasant and friendly. But as soon as we'd paid they completely changed. We were there during songkran and their effort at being accommodating was poor. We went to the resturant for breakfast on our first morning and were told that there would be a minimum of an hour wait because of 'all of the people waiting' - there were 3 people in the resturant, one of which already had their food!! They sat us down as soon as we'd checked in to take us through a lengthy list of unnecessary rules. I was given a towel to use for the pool which I left on one it the sun beds and it was as if the world had come to an end. We got home late on out last night and asked for a late check out which they said was fine. We then got a knock on the door at 10am to say that we needed to pay for the late check out right then (kind of defies the object of a late check out if I'm going to be woken up anyway) my friend then went down to pay and the hotel manager started shouting at her to say that it wasn't the other guys decision to make whether we could have late check out and we should have asked him. (Should it be down to us to ensure that he gets that information?!?!) he then tried to call the guy in front of my friend to shout at him (very unprofessional) they then knocked on the door again at 11 to tell us that the room was booked and we needed to get out. I asked for my money back and he shouted at me and refused. The manager and another member of staff were very aggressive towards me infront of about 15 of the guests they were clearly trying to intimidate me because I am a young female. If you do not want a stressful stay in chiang mai please do not stay here as it is poor reflection of the wonderful service you usually receive in Thailand. You can definitely have a far more pleasant stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Rachelfx
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We booked once in bangkok and it was cheap, very clean and served good meals. Don't expect a service at hotel standard more like an English B&B. But ideal point for sightseeing in and around Chang Mai.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple