“AVOID AVOID AVOID!”

Chiang Mai Travel Lodge
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“AVOID AVOID AVOID!”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

To start I had a friend who stayed here and said it was ok, so I gave it a go. When I got here the receptionist was friendly enough, however it only got worse and worse after that. The bed itself was incredibly hard, and I have stayed in some nastly hostels, but this was barely sleepable in. The sheets were also filthy and the room just generally dirty.
The worst thing however was the fact that when i booked a taxi to Tiger Kingdom and a temple at another travel agent because they were trying to rip me off here, trying to charge more than double what other travel agents offered me, the manager than kicked me out saying i couldnt stay here anymore.
I could not believe it, i have never had an experience like this before and i reccommend all travellers to avoid this place at all costs!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank EdmundJC22

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2012

The staff were very friendly and helpful with giving us advice and helping us book trips. Our room was quite big and spacey and we had a private bathroom which was also quite large. The hostel was in a good location in a nice quiet road and it was only 10/15 minutes walk to the night market and main shopping and restaurant area.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed here first night in Chiang Mai. Woke up next morning all itchy and bitten all over. These black little bugs all over the bed. Went down to complain the guy at the desk came up with me and seen them killed a few of them pulled the sheets off the bed and that was it. They didn't give me another room or offer me anything. Unfortunately I had already paid so couldn't get my money back. The woman behind the desk just laughed at me.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Denise M

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We arrived late in Chiang Mai with no arranged accomodation. Tuk tuk driver took us here. We stayed just overnight. The room was clean, fine. Only beds were weird - very soft and you could feel bedsprings. I slept well though. When my friend flushed the toilet, he saw a frog in it. There was not a great atmosphere, it felt dead. Okay for overnight stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We were planning to stay there for 3-4 nights, but on the second day/late evening, we came back from a lovely elephant ride and a nice dinner and the agent/guide from the hotel became very rude and unpleasant, and said we should leave because our Elephant ride wasn't booked by him. He turned off the computer while we were using it. He said that we were not welcome here and should leave, the same evening. We got our money back and left. Too bad for the hotel that they have a tour agent like him. If you are planning to stay there, you have to book through him. But we dont recommend it!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Thorres
London
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Plenty of facilities nearby. Not great for meeting other travellers, Wi-fi is only in the lobby. Staff helpful & fairly friendly.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Singapore
Reviewed 14 February 2011

My Thai contact checked me into this place for one night as his preferred hotel was full. It cost me THB500 for the night. This is a simple and small guest house. At the ground floor reception, you can avail yourself to free internet on a PC. Behind the reception is a dining area where you can order food and drinks, in a home-stay atmosphere, at very reasonable prices. The room I had was on the second floor. It was spacious, had a big bed, a TV, 2 free bottles of water and an attached toilet and shower. The air-conditioner was a tad worn-out and noisy. The room could do with a make-over.

Location-wise, this is convenient. You can walk towards the left of the guest house, make a further left turn and take a 10-minute walk towards the entrance of the ancient city wall where there is a flea market. You can turn right of the guest house and reach the night bazaar with a 5-minute walk.

There is nothing really to shout about this place. It is a nice and basic place with enough comforts for those on a budget. The staff are friendly and helpful and try their best for you. I was eating in the dining area behind when my Thai guide telephoned the receptionist to look for me. The call was put to the dining area where I was told that the call was for me. This typified the place - simple, no frills and cosy.

You cannot expect a Shangri-la for the simple reason that you are not paying Shangri-la prices.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo