“Friendly staff at no frills guest house”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of B.M.P. Residence

B.M.P. Residence
Ranked #313 of 375 Hotels in Chiang Mai
New York City, New York
“Friendly staff at no frills guest house”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the BMP guest house for 3 nights in July 2012. We had two different rooms, the second much nicer than the first, but they had all the basics. It's worth getting a room with AC, and the water pressure is pretty much non-existant, but that seemed to be the case throughout the city. There's a nice pool at the BMP Resident which is a short walk away. It's a typical backpacker place with a hostel-like atmosphere, good for something you won't spend a lot of time at.
The staff was very friendly and helpful and I really liked that it was family run (they even ate breakfast together). Overall it's very satisfactory as long as you aren't expecting luxury.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We were offered this place by a tourist office in Bangkok during our stay in Viengtai hotel when we booked our trip to Chiang Mai. We had a three-bed-room with a/c and enjoyed our stay. The staff is friendly, the arrangements for tours and pick-ups are punctually and the rooms are clean. Only the bathroom is very small and the shower was right next to the toilet. I would recommend it as a place to meet other backpackers and start your tours from there. The room was quiet because it is a 15 min walk away from the main attractions and the beds were more than ok. I would definately give it a try. Ask for the 2 day trekking tour! We enjoyed it a lot with other nice people and our wonderful tourguide Jayjay alias "Jungleboy"!

• Stayed July 2012
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

My first off impression was not bad as I was only there for a night. It's very basic, but hot water and chea as chips!

They allowed me to keep my back pack in the locker room for 1 week whilst I was at the Elephant Nature Park and I paid for 2 more nights after my trip, without stupidly getting a reciept! However things changed and I decided I wanted to go to Pai instead so....

I turned up and told the woman on reception she demanded to know why I was not staying (!!) and then (although I never was expecting a refund) demanded to see my receipt for refund. I told her I didn't have one and she asked me who served me the day I left????? I don't know!!!! She got quite stroppy and said "no refund" Which as I say I was expecting.

I would have given a more positive report had it not been for her rudeness and lack of knowledge on what staff work when and for relying on me to give her all the details on her staff!!!!!

Not too bad if you are passing through like I was and if you don't mind walking 20 - 30 mins to the main part of Chiang Mai.

• Stayed July 2012
Springfield, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I only stayed two nights, one before and one after a jungle trek, but I liked it. They have pretty good food, a bar, comfortable rooms, they're very helpful with anything travel-related. I rented a scooter while staying here, and drove it around the city a bit. It can be kinda crazy so be careful.
Tell Mr. Promise and Mr. Sun Neil says 'hi!'

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

I've stayed at BMP 2 times already and always liked. Of course its not 5 star hotel but the rooms are clean and reasonably priced. I don't understand why people mind that you have the shower and toilet in one room. Thats very common in Thailand and I have found in all the places I have stayed. The pool is nice and you can chill out in the sun after the trekking, which was amazing by the way. I was travelling on my own and met great people on the track I went travelling with in Laos after that. The staff is also very helpful and friendly. The restaurant is ok, you can get better food outside but the cocktails and drinks are cheap. At night they have live music so its a good option to kick off the night. Overall I had an awesome time at BMP.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

I liked this accomodation. Ok so the rooms are a bit dirty and need a revamp BMP but there is air con, safety deposit boxes (which you use your own padlock), a nice pool and pool area, and a good bar/restaraunt area. BMP also offers a free shuttle to and from the train station. Sometimes though, it can be quite noisy at night due to other guests making noise.

I recommend basing yourself here for going a a 1 or 2 night trek. We did a 2 day/1 night trek and it was fantastic! It was really well organised, our tour guide 'Joshua' was great and BMP held our bags in the luggage room whilst we were gone.

BMP is about 15 minutes walk from the night bizarre in Chiang Mai .

Room Tip: The rooms near the luggage room in the other building are a bit quieter at night compared to the roo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

We did not book directly with B.M.P. resident but with T.I.T. travel agency in Bangkok. We did not know what was the cost of the room because we had booked 2 trips, one to Kanchanabury and the other to Bangkok (the total price was high enough to expect decent hotels). We do not mind a room that needs new decoration or a new coat of paint but we at least expect clean sheets. The sheets were only good to make rags and full of hair. It was late when we found out and we slept with our clothes on! We had paid for 3 nights but we left the next morning for another hotel. We had a superior room.

Room Tip: Look at the sheets before accepting to rent the room!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple