“Average”

Ranked #314 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
New York City, New York
“Average”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The rooms here are hit or miss, and regardless how much you pay or what "type" of room you request it is really a crap shoot. The prices will change with the wind, or the whim of whoever is at the front desk, so my recommendation is to ask around and see what other people are paying and request that price.

The facilities are nice, the pool is refreshing, especially in the hot season, and the bar/restaurant area has a good scene, especially when they have live music playing on some evenings. It is a bit of a walk from the old city, which is where most of the night life and markets are, maybe a 10-15 minute walk, or a short tuktuk ride. There is an area around the corner from this place with local food shops with some really incredible fare!

Their excursion planning is unreliable. I wouldn't use them if you have a choice ,but sometimes it can be more convenient. I would recommend shopping around.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife and I got off the night train and were driven to b.m.p residence. Once there everyone that was picked up was moved to separate tables out side and given a cold glass of Thailand water. Yum yum don't you think? While filling out the guest form the staff member In front of me really only felt like selling me different treks and day trips. I get your trying to get your hands on greasy commission but don't make it so obvious. So after that was done another staff member came up to us and said our double bed we reserved through the shady Bangkok travel agent wasn't available. She said we could have a smaller room with a single bed or a big room with three single beds and ended her rant with "so is that ok?" I felt like saying "we'll you have my money already and have driven me through a bunch of curvy streets and alleyways so I take it there's not much I can do? We said yes to the three single rooms and after seeing it's where the drivers sleep and having a argument with the wife I decided to complain. I went up to the original guy who tried to sell me tours but he wouldn't talk to me and brushed me off to another.

They finally agreed to move me to b.m.p house. The room was better but the air conditioning didn't work. The sheets were pretty clean. The screens on the windows were all broken so there was no stopping the Mosquitos. The building is were all the staff live so there's always young Thai guys ogling female guests and I even past one of b.m.p's cousins breast feeding her infant child on the stairs on the way to my room. In closing I'd like to give some advice to b.m.p. if you keep rooms clean, features your rooms advertise working, don't shove tours and treks down guest throats before they've even got there rooms and above all stop raise/breast feeding your children somewhere other then the "hotel lobby" these guests will return! And when they do you will receive more baht! More tours! Hotels that survive do so by there guest staying with them more then once. Thank you

Room Tip: When in Bangkok, take a deep breath and buy a train ticket to Chang Mai. Once there take a red truck...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim K

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is the worst hotel I have ever staid in. We had two rooms in december 2013. The first room we had to wait for, because they had to clean it first. But when we got it there was dust everywhere and hair in the sink. The second room we got after our 3day trekking was even dirtier. Dust everywhere, again hair in the sink and the showerwater wasn't draining. When we complained they didn´t really respond to our complain, but told us they would clean the following day if we asked then. When we did they only replaced the towels and changed the bed. There are far better/cleaner places to stay in Chiang Mai for a low price and nearer to the center and nightmarket.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Beijing, China
Reviewed 9 January 2014

When we arrived at the BMP resident we had lost some papers that had our reservation (we made the mistake of booking this place with a shady enterprise, do things yourself never with this companies). Our names where nowhere to be found (we made the reservation one month in advance). The main boss at the place stayed with us for 3 hours until we found out what was wrong and he helped us fix it. He not only helped us get the reservation back on track, but instead of giving us a 1 night jungle trip, he gave us 2. This trip was superb, not only we met the coolest people, our guides were the best in all the land. Mr Moon/Sun (depending on the time) and Mr Promise.
The rooms were OK, not a very good bed, but I have a hernia and to find a good bed traveling cheap is quite the feat.
We did not eat there, just drunk quite a bit and met tons of people.
If you want to travel and meet people from all over, I recommend this place.
We are actually going back to that place on February.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

It was high season so we just accepted whatever those tour companies in Hualamphong offered us. Read the reviews after booking and was really prepared for a horrible experience. I got the room with the two single beds stuck together (with a balcony) and read that it was very dirty. Room 304 - the mattress did seem a bit dirty but there were clean sheets on it. The room was OK - the lights in the bathroom didn't work but the staff immediately fixed it. Read that reception was rude - again, staff at reception weren't exactly friendly but they were not rude at all. The place was within walking distance to town and there were a few Halal restaurants in the vicinity, we tried one restaurant which did serve tasty oxtail soup. It's also near Le Croissant - a delightful French restaurant with good food and affordable prices. The hot shower wasn't very hot but still not too bad, we didn't use the aircond, and there were extra sheets in the cupboard which we used when it got really cold at night. Mineral water (big) was 20 baht. It was quiet at night so we could sleep peacefully.

All in all, it wasn't too bad.

We shifted to Redbrick Guesthouse beside it - lower prices and a more ventilated bathroom, but I didn't like the shifty guys (were they drivers?) who played the guitar all day at the common area, ogled girls, and then the same guys who work at Redbrick then goes to BMP House eating area (outside) and sweet talk the female guests coming out of Redbrick. It was also quite noisy at night at Redbrick so we had a bit of difficulty sleeping there. Female staff at Redbrick were very friendly and warm, but the male staff made me uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 304 which had a balcony, priced at 600 baht. You can find better deals during non-pea...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Unfriendly and uninterested staff. Highly focussed on organising tours. Room smelled and had a dirty bathroom. No wifi in the room, only at the bar.
Common area is nice and good place to meet other travellers. Location about 10 minute walk from the city.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

When we first arrived in Chiang Mai we were met off the night bus and taken to the BMP. We had to wait a while to get our room as there were a few people to process. It was pretty early and we were offered a twin room straight away or could wait 3 hours for a double. We took the twin (A4) but it was a big mistake as it was horrible. There were stains on the walls the sheets were dirty and the bathroom needed a good scrub! The 3 day trek we did was excellent and we really enjoyed it, it was relatively challenging in parts and we visited some beautiful waterfalls. We had a great group which made the night times fun. When we returned to BMP they tried to put us in the same room but we had paid for a double so they changed it and what a difference!! This room was really nice and clean with a nicer bathroom and decor and even a mirror that was clean! So really I think this place is hit and miss as to which room they put you in! Good luck!!

• Stayed November 2013