M.D. House
Kavil Guesthouse(Chiang Mai)
  • Restaurant
Sumit Hotel(Chiang Mai)
View Hotel
All reviewsgreat locationswimming poolold cityclean roomsair conditioningbudget hotelmdfridgewifitoursguesthousechiangwats
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Good price for value... 2 pools and free breakfast. Wifi is not great and rooms and bathroom can use renos but the A/C worked fine and they were clean. Lots of mosquitoes in lobby so maybe closing the door would be a suggestion. Free water is nice as well.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Having been back packing for 2 months we've visited our share of hostels, this one however, does not fit the bill for what you're paying. There is no atmosphere on site, the hallways have a "the shining"-esque/ drab /slasher movie feel to them. The quality of the rooms is not in line with the price (we've stayed in hotels since, which were far superior for the same price) and you couldn't see the bottom of the swimming pools as the water was so murky. At check in the staff failed to mention that we would be woken early each morning by drilling next door (impossible to sleep past 8am). Obviously, the point of going to hostels is the opportunity to meet and engage with fellow travellers but we were left wondering exactly why MD House came so highly recommended. I've taken into account that we visited during the low-season, but all things considered I would give it a miss.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

This may not be the cheapest in the area but it is an excellent choice. It's one of the bigger places that we've stayed on our travels, but by no means is that a bad thing as it's never too loud or overcrowded. It's a good place to meet fellow travellers too as there is a lovely outdoor space with 2 pools and a jacuzzi!
The rooms are spacious and clean, with fridge, air con and good wifi. Breakfast is also included in the price which was perfectly good.
What made our stay even better was the in house travel agent - P'dang - who was so so helpful and organised two amazing days out to Baan Chang Elephant sanctuary and to the Chiang Mai cookery school too. She also advised us of which temples to visit, how to get to the walking markets and a great Thai restaurant down the road - Bamboo! We asked her so many questions during our 4 days and she was always so happy to help. Thank you P'dang!
Can't recommend this place more for a perfect location and comfortable stay in Chiang Mai.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emily M
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were disappointed, although we arrived after the specified check in time our room wasn't ready so we were asked to come back. Our room was then right at the back of the hotel and didn't look like it had been cleaned. The price was in line with other places we had been staying while backpacking and we had stayed at much nicer places. I would not stay here again. The swimming pool looked like it needed a lot of repair work and when we had breakfast in the morning the crockery wasn't clean, especially the cups. I didn't really enjoy staying here so I am glad it was only for a couple of nights.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I couldn't find the guesthouse I was looking for, it was hot and I was tired, so I just got into the first one I found.
Lucky me, it was MD House. A little bit over my budget (650 baht for a single room, tough) but it was clean, ensuite bathroom, breakfast (don't expect quantity), swimming pool and some tours.
Great location, nice staff but maybe a lack of atmosphere.

Overall, it was what I needed that day to be relaxed for an acceptable price.

Cya!! I