“Need to get their stories straight” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mandala House

Mandala House
Ranked #153 of 710 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Need to get their stories straight”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Booked this hotel online and on arrival was told had to pay more as their were two of us (booked a double room). They then put us in the old building which was like living on a concrete slab with a bed. When I complained, and showed them the photos we based the booking on they moved us too the new building. Why not do that from the start? It always was the same receptionist who kept bumping up prices. For example, in the morning we arranged transport for the afternoon with the manager, but come the afternoon, the receptionist told use it would be 100 baht more expensive. By the way, the room in the new area was beautiful and spacious, but if they stopped trying to squeeze out a few extra baht and concentrated on a proving quality service, they would fare much better.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

I don't need a lot from a hotel/room in chiang mai, as I am never in the rooms, except to sleep; therefore, mandala house suited my purpose; however: I have stayed elsewhere for much better value! Location is nice; it's very quiet; however; it's right in the middle of busier roads/ 7 elevens; so it's an extra walk to get anywhere (especially when carrying water!!). Breakfast was very basic so we are out; which is great; as chiang mai is one of the few places in Thailand where you can dine out and get great, healthy breakfasts! We rented bikes from the hotel for ease and got 2 reall old, noisy bikes; and has to pay 80 baht/day- I know it's still cheap, but the going rate is 50 baht for a good bike, so hire from elsewhere!
Staff at the hotel were not too helpful to us at all!! It was busy and they did have a lot of ppl coming and going and were a bit flustered; but customer service is key and makes a stay in chiang mai memorable; and we felt like we were not offer end much at all!! In saying all that; rooms are reasonably clean, And beds are comfy. We had a room
In the new wing and it was big and spacious- on the whole, it's a good place to stay but I just don't know if I would go back- there are other places for better value.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank CherryPearce
Picton, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

This place is great only walking distance from the night bizzar and good breakfast, staff are friendly and most helpful and the rooms are large and clean the only downfall was the metre deep pool which you couldn't dive into.Also very quiet area and washing only 50bart a kg ready the next day,airport transfer 150bart for 3 of us.

Room Tip: Fantastic place would recommend to anyone!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Missy G
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

2203-180413 IN MANDALA HOUSE

Back ”at home” again. One month March 2012 and four weeks now in March-Apri 2013. Rooms in the new building with elevator are already rented, but this time I had a room on groundfloor in the “old mainhouse”. Perfect for me, no stairs. The moskitonetaircondition was perfect; air condition do not like me. As one year ago, very good service. When I had checked in, I wondered where is my luggage and handluggage; they were already taken to may room ! No problems when paying with MasterCard.
Location Is perfect; good lights in the evening and easy to walk around, both old town and Night Bazaar / Anusan Market. Also Saturday- and Sunday Markets are just a little walk away. Of the markets, best I like is 24 hours a day open Warorot Market; easy walking from Mandala House; that’s where the locals shop.

Only one problem; I could not walk to the new pool and old wooden low building – two or three more or less high stairs from the street and NO handrail.

Mandala House has changed their web- and email-address; if You know new address, pls inform me.

Room Tip: Rooms with fan and with ac
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank markkut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Mandala House is conveniently located near the Night Bazaar, street food vendors, and many excellent restaurants within short walking distance. The staff generally speaks English well and works regularly with tour agents, such as G Adventures. Service is excellent and WiFi works very well in the rooms. My husband and I did a trekking tour where we spent only one night in Mandala House before leaving on our trek for 2 nights. When we returned, the staff had our rooms prepared for only one more night and had information regarding our airport transfer the following morning without our even having to ask for it. They have a small pool which is perfect for relaxing and a lovely bistro style cafe for breakfast. They have options of American, European, and Thai breakfast options. Try to request a room in the west side of the building as they are much nicer and cozier than the east side which seemed more like a bare dormitory room. We stayed in both sides and much more preferred the west wing.

• Stayed July 2013
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed for 1 night at the old wing, it was terrible the mattress was so soft that I nearly fall off the bed... we requested to move to the new wing where the rooms were better, we were on the ground floor with lots of mosquitos and the rooms are very dark, the rest of our group was in the 5-6 floor and the rooms were good with a bug tub and new beds. The breakfast is good if you like to repeat, although our group was medium size they seem a bit overwhelmed by the orders.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LaFabysinHongKon
queensland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

I stayed at Mandala House 16-18 June 2013 and found it more than adequate to my needs. I paid 750TBH (< $30 AU) for a good size room, aircon, cable TV , comfortable queen size bed - and there was a swimming pool across the road to use. The sitting areas were small but comfortable and coils were lit at night. The tariff also included breakfast - if i recall there was a choice of 3 menus. Reception and restaurant staff were friendly -one of the house staff told me he spoke 4 languages. I stayed on the second floor and found little outside noise at night. Must admit that the toilet had the wierdest cistern I had ever come across. I enjoyed my stay at Mandala

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo