“Should have stayed here longer”
Review of Rimping Village

Rimping Village
Ranked #13 of 394 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 23 April 2011

For my last night in Chiang mai - i opted to stay at Rimping Village - based on the strength of the views on trip advisor, I wished i stayed longer. It was located just on the outskirts of the centre of town - but this was more than made up by the incredibly friendly and helpful staff and the excellent room. If i were to come back to Chiang Mai, i would definitely head back to this hotel.

My only minor qualm was the mosquitoes when i entered the room. I think they should have sprayed it before i got in, as i had to go on a mosquito killing spree - i don't mind killing the odd few, but i ended up killing around a dozen. Apart from this minor issue, everything else was superb, the staff even lent me their work computers to use the internet when the others were being used. Plus, before i left for the airport and had already checked out, i was able to use a shower room - something i highly appreciated.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank aspii81
Write a ReviewReviews (2,116)

Reviewed 21 April 2011

Our family stayed at the Rimping Village for 4 days in early April. Having just stayed at a luxury hotel in Bangkok, we were initially caught a bit off-guard at the simplicity of the hotel upon arrival and were a bit concerned. For example, neither of our rooms were as large as we had been used to although they were decently sized and were furnished with pretty basic furniture (slightly hard bed) and tiled floors. The bathroom had a shower (no tub). There was wireless but we were told that if we didn't get connection in the room, we might try sitting outside.

However, we soon began to appreciate the hotel staff's wonderful service and the comfortable casualness of its amenities. We were able to have fresh fruit and eat a nice breakfast every morning outside the small restaurant by the banyan tree and pool. It was certainly nice that they went the extra mile by opening an extra 30 minutes early in order for us to have breakfast before we departed.

My 6-year old really enjoyed swimming in the salt-water pool where the hotel furnished some basic pool toys and enjoyed biking in the courtyard. The hotel even supplies free bikes fit for kids which was great! However, given the traffic, we didn't feel comfortable having her bike outside the hotel.

All of the staff (especially the front desk) was very gracious and seemed to genuinely enjoy kids and interacting with visitors. The front desk helped to arrange for most of our tours and provided a lot of advice and options - although I know that the tuk-tuks, "taxi's", tours, etc. were marked up quite a bit compared to getting them yourselves. The front desk staff knew who we were, came out to greet us, and always gave us the right room keys whenever we returned to the hotel.

Of the cities we visitied, Chiang Mai was the most enjoyable part of our trip and we attribute much of that to enjoying our time at the Rimping!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank angchu
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I'm currently writing this from the balcony at Rimping Village. I'm here for 3 nights and it's a lovely place to stay. The hotel is immaculate, the rooms are beautifully clean and tidy and the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful.

The hotel provide a free pick up and drop off to the airport, so make sure you email them your flight times.

Breakfast is very good, with a great selection and served either in the restaurant by the pool, or you can sit outside.

The pool area is lovely, although I didn;t get a chance to swim the the salt water pool...but looks very clean.

It is on the East side of the river, about 15 mins walk from the city old walls, so not the closest, but nice and quiet and not too far. They also provide free bikes should you want to cycle around.

Also free wifi and computers available in reception should you not have a laptop.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank UKadventuretraveller
Reviewed 9 April 2011

We stayed four nights at the Rimping Village and loved every moment. The rooms were spacious and clean. Breakfast was good and plentiful -- buffet style, but hot dishes were prepared fresh after ordering off the menu. Short walk to the night market off a quiet street in a nice part of town. Bikes made available for guests were a nice touch. Service by the hotel staff was exceptional -- the best argument for choosing this hotel. While touring the town, one of our kids required a trip to the hospital. We returned to the hotel and the staff offered to drive us in a hotel vehicle, helped us get admitted, waited while our kid was treated, helped us through the billing process, then drove us back to the hotel. Way above and beyond what one would expect from reception staff, but indicative of the dedication and service-orientation of the Rimping Village staff. Thank you for a wonderful stay! We hope to come again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2011

A lovely hotel with excellent service staff. The room was absolutely clean; linen and towels were spotless white; furniture in excellent condition. Mosquito repellent was provided inside the room and the staff placed repellent coils outside each room in the evenings. This made sure that mozzies did not trouble us. The hotel served decent breakfast with the cold items laid out in buffet while the main course (a choice eggs to order, sausages, bacon or local Thai dishes) served at the table. Restaurant was located next to the pool with a choice of sitting in the covered area or in the open, under a banyan tree.

Rimping village is by no means a luxury hotel in terms of amenities or interiors. The highlight of this hotel, however, is their service standard, which, as many others have commented, is absolutely outstanding. Apart from the service staff, there are three other things about the hotel that I think need to be mentioned -
1) They have free Wifi available inside the rooms, plus free use of computers (with internet) in lounge. This is worth noting considering that provision is free internet is still not all that common in SE Asian hotels.
2) They have DVD player inside the room with a good collection of DVDs which guests could borrow. DVDs were handy to keep kids engaged once we were back from sightseeing.
3) Bicycles were were available for guest's use absolutely free. Bicycles were indeed very handy for short excursions around the hotel. My wife and I visited the night market on bicycle while kids watched movie on the DVD.

Needless to say that we had a great stay at Rimping Village.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Very impressed! What a lovely place to stay! The staff were so helpful and friendly, we felt at home;-) would definately stay there again- can't speak highly enough of rimping village!

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Beautiful place with great pool-both sun and shade all day long. Rooms very clean and comfortable. Breakfast wonderful-large cold food buffet with hot food made to order. Location okay! Close to night market but I would recommend old city or between river and old city to be more central.
The staff is very nice and speaks English well. However, I found making bookings for tours and drivers a rip off. I could save money walking down the street and getting my own tuk tuk or taxi. I tried booking a tour I had read about somewhere else. They got out their own tour which was 800 baht more for essentially the same thing, then called the tour I wanted, got the details and sold against it (I'm sure there was no commission). I'd like to feel like I can trust my hotel to get me the best deal or just help me out and make the call...not too much to ask when staying at a nice hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family