“Was Not Let Down...Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rimping Village

Rimping Village
Ranked #12 of 374 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Kansas City, Missouri
“Was Not Let Down...Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

When I read many of these reviews, I sensed this was a nice hotel but was still not 100% sold on its overall dominance of all hotels in Chiang Mai. However, I booked it and realized quickly why this hotel is one of the very best in Chiang Mai (if not the absolute best). The photos did not impress me, but when we arrived I found the hotel beautiful and kept up so very nicely. It was not overdone, but was a welcoming hotel that provided us excellent service 100% of the time. We stayed in the Family Suite (Room 123), and we loved it. It was a very large room, with lots of space for luggage or just walking around. The room had one queen bed and two twins, a TV, a minifridge/bar area, sitting area, desk with mirror, and armoire. There was a hair dryer provided and our private bath was very nice. There was one sink with a mirror, a toliet, a shower, and a very large jacuzzi bathtub. The hotel provides towels and shampoo, etc. which was very nice. They actually provided so many towels, we didn't touch half of them provided each day. Two bottles of water were complimentary each day which was nice, but slightly frustrating as we were in a family room (designed for more people) but had the same allottment of water provided. However, this was something very minor for us. We had no problem finding water at the nearby Supermarket or just drinking the Evian water in the minifridge listed at a fair price. The beds were very comfortable, and our room was cleaned very nicely each day. The AC and lights only worked if the key was placed in the slot which was not a large problem at all. This conserves energy, and was only frustrating for that first 5 very warm minutes upon returning to the room. However, this was mostly so warm just because April is typically the hottest month of the year. The AC worked so well it cooled our large room quickly. Additionally, we did not like the lighting in our room when it became dark out. The lights were very dim which made it difficult to read easily or put on makeup. However, there are many windows so the lighting is natural and nice during the day. We did not find the lighting to be a major concern, and got in a habit of getting ready for a night out or a nice dinner before the sun went down. Wifi reached our room easily and worked extremely well throughout the hotel (at the resturant, in our room, at the pool). One night one the small lizards got into our room. These lizards are all over outside of the hotel (because of the climate...this is typical in Chiang Mai and not a "problem" related to the hotel). A baby one must have snuck in, and though we were not afraid of it we did not know how to get it out without hurting it! Two staff members came up and helped us to catch it and free it unscathed outside. They came right away, and were very kind to come to our rescue. Perhaps we should have left him, though, because I got mosquito bites each night in our room. However, this is to be expected in 100 degree weather. Particularly, when your friend has a bad habit of not pulling the door shut behind her.

The hotel is quiet and has a lovely pool. It offers many sun loungers and staff is always going around to refresh the towels. There were quite a few families staying when we went, and some had very loud children. Though I do not expect the staff of the hotel to deal with the children, it was very annoying to have kids jumping into the pool within 1-2 feet of you and splashing all over you and the book. Mostly, because their parents sat there paying no attention to their kids who could jump anywhere else at this large pool but chose to jump practically on top of other guests.

The lobby area is very nice and has staff there 24/7. There are two desktop computers available and a printer. There is also a little bookshelf with some books you can exchange for. They also lease out bikes for free, but we did not use them as we were there during Songkran and did not want to be thrown off my bike by freezing cold water! When you arrive, the staff provides you apple juice and a cool towel which is very appreciated in April heat. They also hold onto your key while you are out and about so you don't have to worry about losing it or carrying it around.

The location of the hotel is good...it is a bit out of town but that is what keeps it so quiet. It is only a 5-10 minute walk across the Iron Bridge to the Night Bazaar. The staff was also exceptionally helpful at calling us taxis or tuk tuks. When we went to the Tiger Kingdom, the hotel provided us their transportation service and drove us for 600baht round trip. This price was less than the taxi services we had read about...and our driver waited for us in the van while we were at Tiger Kingdom. This resolved the common problem of finding an afforable way back into town from there.

The restaurant had a nice included breakfast with our booking, but we did not particularly care for the food we had there for dinner. The Thai dishes we tried were very bland, even the Pad Thai was not very good. The last night we were there, I had the hot and sour soup which was very good. Not sure if our first dinner there was a fluke, but the soup was large and very good. The restaurant is located pretty much all outside...one area is surrounded by walls on three sides, but none of it is air conditioned. They do have fans, and most of the day the shade and fans provide plenty of cool air.

As everyone else has said, the staff is the most brilliant part of this hotel. Literally every single person we encountered was very kind and helpful, and went over and above to make our stay special. When we would arrive back to the hotel, staff would be waiting for us and have our key ready for us almost before we even got out of the car. The staff was incredibly nice with smiles on their faces, and spoke great English. A man named Arm (spelling is probably wrong...but one of his coworkers told us his name was like the body part as she pointed at her own arm) helped us to get a floating lantern after one of my friends traveling with me was given news about the sudden death of her teenage cousin. He went out of his way to go and get the lantern and though we offered to pay him for his troubles and the lantern he refused after finding out why we had asked about the lantern in the first place. This was a nice tribute to her cousin, and gave her a small sense of being able to do something special from so far away. It was a very meaningful gesture for him to make, and I hope that someone who works there with him or above him can let him know that we still think about that gesture of kindness.

This hotel deserves this spot on Trip Advisor. It is a quaint but lovely hotel filled with wonderful staff.

The breakfast provided was excellent. It was buffet style and always had a "Thai" option, pancakes, french toast, bacon, ham, fruit, mango and sticky rice, bread, juices, water, coffee, tea, etc. Staff came around and asked each person if they wanted an egg (omlet, fried, etc.). The omlets were pretty good.

Room Tip: Room 123 is a Family Suite that is very spacious and quiet. No real view from the room, but it is ve...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MeliQ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

This hotel has the friendliest and most caring staff I've ever encountered. Everybody speaks English well and are so willing to help you with anything and everything. They provide free airport transfer in nice Mercedes minivans even though I was the only passenger. All my packets for checkin/checkout were all ready to go when I got to the front desk. During checkin, they also sat me down and gave me an overview and all the major attractions in the city on a map. They also let me stored some of luggage there when I traveled to Northern Thailand so I didn't have to carry so much with me. They helped me with sending postcards and put stamps on all of them for me (I paid for the stamps of course). When I asked about the "sky lanterns" that I had on one of my postcards, they asked me if I wanted to try one. Of course I do! So they made the arrangement and let me released one from the hotel ground that very evening. Any one of the staff would come running to help you when they see that you were carrying your luggage out the door, or trying to get one of the free bikes out from the lineup. Most people that work in a hotel are polite and courteous, but I feel that the staff at this hotel really go above and beyond to help you and attend to your needs. That applies to all staff at this hotel, not just the front desk. The room itself was clean and had all the basic amenities one expected. The pool was well maintained and was a definitely plus for April in Chiang Mai. The walk to the night bazaar only took less than 10 minutes and the old city was also within walking distance. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood so a good night sleep was assured with the fairly comfortable bed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank SF555
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

During our honeymoon i and my wife have been to bangkok, chiang mai, koh samui.

This hotel in chiang mai has been without doubt the best we have been. The real big difference is that in this hotel you feel like a guest of a local Thai family.

The service is fantastic, the staff did their best to help us with advice on where to go, what to do, always with a real kindness. For example when we arrived they offered us a drink and in the while with the map they explained us where the hotel was and the main attraction of the city. every time they called us a tuktuk before to let us go they went to talk to the tuk tuk driver to tell him where we wanted to go and what had to be the fair price. Also when they discovered we were there for honeymoon they made us a surprise leaving lot of flower petals on our bed and also an hand made card wishing us a pleasant honeymoon. Really appreciated.

Room was tidy. Breakfast has not much choice but is well cooked.

We really enjoyed our stay in Chiang Mai and in this hotel. Thank you to all the staff.

Ps. Don't loose the sunday market! :)

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Loved Bangkok but with Chiang Mai and the wonderful Rimping Village our next stop, we could take stock and relax a little. To be honest three days was not enough and it was a same to leave the relaxing feel and wonderful staff. The welcome on arrival was perfect and efficient and we quickly settled in; the hotel arranged tuktuks for our first evening trip to town to get bearings, but a 10 minute or so walk across the river takes you to the night market and the old town. An upside to Rimping is you can leave the bustle and quickly be in a quiet oasis. The breakfast was spot on; a mix of asian and european, with eggs to order, all perfectly presented. We ate a late lunch at the hotel one day and that too was fragrant, tasty and very good value too. Recommend stay here? Without hesitation; surely preferable to the international chains.

Room Tip: Although smaller the standard rooms are perfectly large enough.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

What a fab place and a quiet oasis in Chiang Mai.

Service is fantastic and nothing is too much trouble for the staff.

We booked a suite which is superb for families and the rooms are well equiped and BIG.

We liked the hotel because it was not too large and always was a tranquil place to return to after a busy day sight seeing.

Nice pool and garden is very good and well kept.

A fantastic base for exploring the surrounding area.

Book it and you won't regret it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here at the start of our Thailand trip and we are so happy that we did. The staff was always helpful and happy, and so welcoming. Kamy was especially helpful during out stay. She was always so nice and she helped us organize everything we did. She went out of her way to find us a trekking tour during Songkran when everything else was closed! She also had towels waiting for us on the day of our trek. On the one day that my husband wasn't feeling well she brought him medicine and asked how he was doing each time we saw her.

Overall this was a great hotel to stay in. Our room was spotless and had free wifi (with a good connection!). The breakfast buffet was good and filling, and our room was always stocked with fresh fruit for the day and coffee. The pool is nice and refreshing, and new towels are placed out regularly. It was a little bit of a walk to get to the city center, but it was only about 80 or 100 baht for a tuk tuk. Being in Chiang Mai during Songkran it was nice to be a little out of the city. It is also very close to the river restaurants and the night and food markets. We ate at the restaurant when we first arrived and the food was wonderful. Everything we ordered was delicious and very, very well priced. If/when we return to Chiang Mai we will definitely stay here!

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JHenry86
indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

everything that has been commented positively by other reviewers is true. i booked the room through the phone and service over the phone was excellent. stayed in the superior room and the actual room looks better than the picture in their website. room is big. though the toilet is small, it is well-designed and structured. love the almost retro look of the toilet. place is well maintained and clean. staff are friendly and meticulous in their service. they would always switch on and bring the fan nearer to me while eating at the exterior compound of the restaurant. but the boss took the service up a notch on my last day by insisting the staff switch on the aircon and asking me to move into the room to avoid the afternoon heat. highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo