“Great Staff, Great location and all round Great hotel”
Review of Bon Ca Va

Bon Ca Va
Ranked #56 of 747 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
wellington
“Great Staff, Great location and all round Great hotel”
Reviewed 20 August 2009

Very easy going atmosphere, tidy and clean rooms, walking distance to sunday markets(60B tuktuk to night markets)along with decent food. Decided to book the hotel because of the reviews think one hit the nail on the head saying "its a home away from home". Think if you've been to places like Phuket and Bangkok you tend to be weary of overfriendly people but all the staff and the owner are very much geniune, hats off to Pascal and especially Nong, only complaint is that I didn't stay long enough for the sunday carvery:)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank con55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 18 August 2009

My wife and I stayed at The Queen Victoria Inn in Chiang Mai, initially for one week but were so impressed with the hotel, friendliness of the staff and owner that we stayed an extra week. The rooms are of a really good standard considering the price and we were made extremely welcome by the really friendly staff.The food is both Thai (very good, and I'm a farang) and English with a wide range to suit all tastes. If there is anything you need to be done, either Pascal, the owner, or the staff will go out of their way to make sure it happens and will not try to rip you off on commission or any other "hidden" costs. All in all, a very easy and relaxing place to stay with absolutely no hassle...PS they show any football games which are televised in Thailand too...a Godsend for a Scouser in exile!
Enjoy, I know we did!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
north wales
Reviewed 8 July 2009

I found all aspects of the hotel to be excellent.Room nice and big with full facilities.Wonderful choice of English and Thai food and a good range of beers.Staff very friendly and helpful.As a former hotelier myself i rate the Queen Vic very highly and definitely worth the money.Staying in the same room again in 2009 which shows you how highly i rate it

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
Singapore
Reviewed 8 June 2009

My partner and I spent our week-long holiday in Chiang Mai. I found Queen Victoria on Tripadvisor and decided to stay with them after reading all the reviews! I'm so glad that it turned out to be better than expected.
The staff there are extremely friendly and helpful. Especially Nong. He was there to help us from the first day till the very last day. He suggested trips for us, got us transport and made sure that we made full use of our time and money! He is an excellent staff. Good job!
The boss is extremely nice to us too! I had to check my exams results from Chiang Mai and was very happy with my grades. I was so excited that I screamed and jumped in the bar. *embarrassed* Needless to say, everyone working there knew about my good news. When night came, we had a couple of drinks. When we wanted to pay for the drinks, the boss Pascal said the drinks were on him for congratulating my exams results. How great is that!!?? Thank you Pascal!!
Oh.. Not forgeting the food. The food is mouth-watering and the quantity is huge. My partner had a full-day breakfast and wasn't hungry till late noon even though we went trekking and white-water rafting that day!
Unless you know exactly what you want to do in Chiang Mai, listen to Nong's suggestions. He can tell you the normal price to pay for each tuk tuk's ride since many drivers will raise the price when they know you are a tourist. Ask him questions and he will try to answer them. Thank you Nong! For making my trip such a wonderful one. Many thanks to everyone else in Queen Victoria.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Seoul
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I found this guesthouse on Tripadvisor and was very happy to stay there for a couple of days. Actually, I booked initially only for one night but decided to stay longer. I finally stay for 5 nights. The staff is very friendly, the food very good (especially their full english breakfast) and the room fantastic. The owner and his wife are lovely and very helpfull. The only little downside might be the location, but having rent a motorbike, this was no longer an issue.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Vancouver
Reviewed 10 May 2009

Based solely on Trip Advisor reviews we booked this hotel. We got out of the airport in Chiang Mai and took a taxi to the property. They had no problem finding the hotel.

The hotel is above an english pub and the reception and any hotel business is handled in the pub. When you get there, you are greeted warmly and offered drinks and food.

The rooms are very clean and very large. The bathroom is also really clean and well stocked for travellers on the go. There is free wifi available in the room as well as downstairs in the bar.

The restaurant downstairs is VERY good. Make sure that you have the Chiang Mai Sausage fried rice. I'm still thinking about it 2 months later. Very simple, but very tasty.

The location is away from the action to be fair. If you're staying on a Sunday, the Sunday market stretches almost to the hotel and straight to the East gate where most of the action is. We enjoyed our long walks through town and the staff were always willing to flag down a cheap songtheau for us. But everything you need is close by, juice bar, 7-11's, street food, and massage places.

We stayed at Queen Victoria Inn twice during our stay in Chiang Mai. We left to volunteer at the amazing Elephant Nature Park for a week. They were more than willing to keep our luggage protected for us. As an aside, make sure you visit the Elephant Nature Park when you are in Chiang Mai... it's a very important place.

The staff was great. I had a minor dental emergency that they were very helpful tracking down a good dentist (there are apparently alot available in Chiang Mai) and giving us all the information to get to the clinic. There is a little salesmanship about the tours that are offered through the hotel, but it is not very hard and likely quite useful (we had arranged our activities prior to coming to the city).

The laundry service is great and cheap, and they iron everything!

All in all, the effort that they put forward is very meaningful, and you feel like family when you are staying there. It was a great deal, price wise, and one of the best places we've stayed on our 6 month long trip thus far.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2009

This was a lovely place to stay in the old part of Chiang Mai. The staff there are lovely and the beer is nice and cold. Nice place when you feel you need a bit of the taste of home (not that I am English) If I go back again this is a definate yes

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple