“So awful we only stayed one night!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Manee Guest House

Manee Guest House
Ranked #104 of 718 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Seattle
“So awful we only stayed one night!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We booked on Agoda for three nights. Got in pretty late from Bangkok and were excited to be back in Chiang Mai. However, once we saw our room at the Manee House our excitement turned to regret that we had booked three nights at this dump. The room had one of the WORST beds I've ever slept on! To top it off the pillows were hard and lumpy--almost as if the pillowcases were filled with half dried cement blobs. No matter how we positioned ourselves we could not get comfortable. Woke up feeling extremely stiff and unrested.
Another bad thing about the room was the horrible fluorescent lighting reminiscent of a hospital or jail cell. Speaking of jail cells, the bars on the windows were a nice touch.
We agreed that we could not bear to stay one more night-let alone two, but when we tried to get a refund for one of the nights the lady informed us that would not be possible. I guess that is one of the risks of using Agoda.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jen M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hebrew first
Tallinn, Estonia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed there for 4 nights in the end of January 2014 with the group of 10 people. There was two serious stealing cases within this period from the second floor rooms. In both cases there was only 10 minute period when there was no one in the room and the robberies was commited very accurately at this time period. Although there were security cameras in the corridors, they did not show anyone to go into or come out from the rooms at this time. So the only possibility was to go through the window from the roof and someone should gave the information that the persons left the room (or/and game back to room)! The staff was not helpful and kept at the distance from the problem. Inside deals?? So if you don't want to be robbed choose another guesthouse - there are plenty in this area.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms without barred windows especially on the second floor and left side!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sevi P
Phnom Penh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I moved here (standard room) for two nights after changing guesthouses, left for an overnight excursion, and returned for a third night. Overall, my stay was pleasant, though not outstanding - I think a more appropriate rating would be 3.5 stars.

The best aspect of this guesthouse is the location - they're located on a quiet "soi" across from a temple, which keeps the bawdy traffic at bay, yet it's still within easy walking distance of many businesses that cater to foreigners.

I had a room on the second floor the first two nights and the third floor for the third night. The third floor was noticeably warmer (though being 1000km north of home, I didn't mind). The biggest drawback was the ambient noise in the corridors. They echo like hospital hallways and the walls are obviously very, very thin. I could hear a Charlie Brown-esque "mwaaa-mwaa-mwaaaa" whenever someone talked in an adjacent room, and conversations in the hallway felt like they were right over my head. The staff are aware of this and have put up slightly librarian "Quiet, Please!" signs around the hallways, but what they really need are some rugs for the walls and floor to muffle the noise. The second and third nights were much quieter, but I think because the other rooms were mostly vacant. I think during periods of high demand, it must be deafening.

I was hoping to swim, but the pool seemed quite cold. I think Manee Guesthouse should acquire a heater for the colder months.

The hotel staff were extremely nice, but there was one off-putting incident at the end of my stay that left a sour taste in my mouth: Before I left after my second night, I paid in advance (500 THB) for the third night. Upon check-out after the third night, the receptionist had forgotten that I'd already paid and demanded payment again. When I balked she asked me to produce the receipt and - stupid me? - I had thrown it in the wastebasket upstairs before coming down. There were a few tense minutes while she rooted around her records, but she eventually came across something that confirmed that I had already paid, and her demeanor immediately became conciliatory. I couldn't help but feel a bit offended by the incident, though - perhaps I should have kept the receipt, but surely it's the responsibility of the guesthouse to maintain clear records of payment!

Nevertheless, I would consider staying here again.

Tip: They charge 40 baht to do your laundry for you and only at certain times of the day, but if you turn right along the soi, you'll come to a laundromat where, for 20 baht you can put your clothes in a machine yourself, go eat or get a massage or something and come back and retrieve your clothes. Then you can hang them for free along the drying racks back at Manee Guesthouse.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank J R
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Lovely helpful staff who showed me to my room and helped me get on the Wifi, good location, rooms nice and clean. Would come back as it's a great base in the old city. Nice and quiet area too so can get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Max99UK
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Nice comfortable and clean rooms, good location and great value for money. They also include free tea coffee and toast in the mornings. Very happy with stay and recommend if your looking for a basic, comfortable stay in Chiang Mai :)

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank JazzIzz
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed at the Manee House during our recent visit to Chiang Mai and could not have been happier. The room was small and did not have much to it, but it was all that we needed. The staff were amazing - they were very friendly and helpful in giving directions, tips, suggestions, and helping part of our group plan an excursion. The location was perfect and was walking distance from lots of restaurants, bars, markets, and temples. They have a swimming pool, but it was a little too cold for us to use it. We strongly recommend Manee House!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alli D
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We were pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed our stay here. It was very cheap - so weren't sure. But we really enjoyed it. It is in a great location, the staff was nice and helpful, and our rooms were comfortable, clean, and bigger than most Asian rooms.

We stayed in the newer Deluxe rooms. I would recommend these - they are still very inexpensive. I am not sure about the other rooms.

The location was great - not far from the Saturday/Sunday market. It is in the Old Town and there are many great places to eat and cute cafes very near the hotel. We also rented bikes and got around, but you could easily catch a tuk tuk near the hotel to get you around.

I recommend this hotel - It is a great deal for the money you pay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple