“A jewel in the crown of Chaing Mai”
Review of Bodhi Serene Hotel

Bodhi Serene Hotel
Ranked #39 of 402 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We have stayed here on a few occassions. The service is excellent. The staff are extremely helpful from the Manager down to the boy who drives the van. Nothing is too much for them. The rooms are large and spacious with all the extras you would expect. The TV channels could do with updating as all you get is a few Thai channels and a load of american repeat TV ! Lovely swimming pool and seating area with a sala bar attached. The tour counter/reception staff could not do any more to help. They were excellent and pointed you in the right direction. The young girl spoke excellent english and the tour guide Khun Tack made the trip so much more entertaining. Well done to all and thank you.

Room Tip: Overlook the sala pool and garden
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tannerat
Write a ReviewReviews (1,032)

Reviewed 29 September 2012

I was in Chiangmai 23-28 Sept 2012, with my dad. Bodhi Serene is 7-10, minutes walk from the Sunday night market and they provide a shuttle service (only on way) to the night market daily.

I booked this hotel 1-2 months before arrival on agoda.com, at USD100 per night. It is quite a high price to pay, for this (low) season in Thailand. I was prepared to pamper myself and my dad. I was a little upset when I overheard the counter staff quoting the walk-in guests a lower price, 20-25% lower. But my choice to book in advance. That being said, I was expecting better service and cleanliness.

The toiletries were not replenished after the first day. I reminded the reception on my way out, she questioned if there was none left in the bottle. We did not want to take the toiletries home, we just want to have enough to clean ourselves, and not have to call for more supplies showering half way. On the last day, our bath towels were not replaced. We had to go to the house keeping trolley and ask the staff for replacement.

On our second day, my dad and I left the room at different times. On our way to the country side, I found out my dad forgot to remove his keycard (I left earlier) from the key slot. When we returned, we couldn't find the key card. So I went to the reception to ask for one more on our way out to the night market. She refused and said she will only give us when we return from the night market (she did), which I totally do not understand why. She said they are an environmentally hotel and we should not leave the key in the slot. It was a genuine mistake from my dad.

My dad smoked in the balcony. The ashtray was not cleared. We reminded them for 2 days to clear it, which they did, after us asking them to clear. Then we gave up.

Bed sheets were not changed too, until we asked for it.

Breakfast selection was minimal.

Staff forgot to give us morning call for our trip to Chiangrai. They were instructed the day before. Luckily we managed to catch the bus for our day trip.

There are other boutique hotels nearby. Sirilana and Kocha-Sri Thani were on its left and right, within 100m. They look better maintained. Otherwise, guest houses lined the street Bodhi Serene is on.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank faymui
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I stayed here for over a week recently and had a fabulous experience.

What makes this hotel is the lovely staff. Everyone is so kind and helpful. Someone even took the initiative (and time) to research a problem I was having with my airline.

My room was great. It was large and had a nice balcony overlooking the hotel's inner courtyard. I know a lot of people have commented on the bed being hard, but I didn't find it so bad. (Of course, after a day walking around Chiang Mai in the heat, I was lucky to be awake at 9 PM.) Also, in response to other comments, my toiletries were replenished as needed and the room was very clean.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel, and I was really pleased with the selection and service.

I hope to return to Chiang Mai within the next couple years, and I will absolutely stay at the Bodhi Serene again. And I have already recommended it to friends planning to visit later this year.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Bethula
Reviewed 23 September 2012

If you are hesitate about that, just have a try, will not disappoint you. Nice staff, nice hotel, though tiny. They have activities like sharing food with monks, free shuttle bus to night bazarr. Only 5 mins walk to Sunday night market.

Breakfast is a bit expensive, you can easily find something next door, much cheaper.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Xia L
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We booked 5 nights but only stayed 1 instead. Yes it is nice and quiet, the staff are friendly and the breakfast is good. What lets the place down was the room smelt musty, the bathroom looked like it needed a good scrub as it had stains in the walls as well as mold on the roof. The bed was very hard, so it meant you spent your night changing positions to try and sleep. The room was dark and there was a danger of hitting your shins on the edge of the bed frame when moving around the room.
We have been travelling to a few venues and places during this trip and have seen some really nice places. We are now in a nice 5 star that includes breakfast and dinner at not a lot more cost than what we were paying here.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We haven't been blown away by the hotel and it's facilities, however, the wait staff at the bar/restaurant has been so exceptional we would even come back to visit! There is a very genuine care and concern that you don't often get from hotel staff. Gau, one of the waiters, personally went to get my husband a specialty Chiang Mai dish he expressed he wanted to try. As it wasn't offered on the hotel menu, he went to a market that's famous for it before he came to work the following day. His sincerity and absolute joy from surprising and pleasing us was rare and memorable. We've traveled extensively around the world and although other properties have been fancier, what we'll take away from this trip is far more rewarding.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank SDamrow
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Our family of 5 stayed at this hotel and really enjoyed it. Kids loved the pool and the accommodations were nice. Beds are firm, but the rooms are spacious and comfortable. Breakfast is wonderful and all staff were very friendly! They also have a complimentary shuttle service to the Chiang Mai night market which was helpful. We would definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family