“Quiet oasis in a busy city!”
Review of Bodhi Serene Hotel

Bodhi Serene Hotel
Ranked #35 of 384 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“Quiet oasis in a busy city!”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I stayed at the Bodhi Serene for just four nights (March 28-31), and wish it could have been longer! Once inside its walls, it was as if the busy city outside just disappeared. Since this was a short vacation after several days of business in Singapore, l loved this opportunity for a little peace and quiet. The central garden is lovely; my ground floor room had a small patio right next to it, and I could both see and hear the fountains. The standard room was spacious, with wood floors, air conditioning, a king-sized bed (as others have stated, the bed was a bit hard, but for me not intolerable), large en suite bathroom with a walk-in shower plus separate (and huge) round tub. Amenities were as expected and more: shampoo, conditioner, etc. plus glass bottles of drinking water, a safe, and a typical hotel refreshment bar. I appreciated their efforts to be "green:" my key card controlled the power (when I left the room the power was off), and I could choose whether or not to have my sheets and towels changed daily (I kept them through my stay). The pool looked very inviting, although I didn't use it. I ate both in the restaurant and via room service; the food was excellent and, in the case of room service, delivered quickly. A complete buffet breakfast is served outdoors next to the garden, for a reasonable time: 7:00-10:00a. When one tour was to pick me up between 6-6:30a, they prepared a simple "take-away" breakfast that was much appreciated...several others on this tour were impressed as their accommodations had not done so.

Walk outside the hotel and there are many options for tour guides and packages. However, I booked my three excursions through the service provided in the hotel lobby, two of them just the night before. It was nice being able to just add them to my hotel bill and save my limited amount of Thai baht for other things...most of the local businesses I encountered took only baht. The young lady at the tour desk was very helpful; my only challenge was deciding how to spend my limited time!

The old city is very walkable, although in March it is very hot and humid, so I avoided walking in the middle of the day. The hotel has a 7p shuttle to the night market, which is great; you can either walk back or take a tuk tuk which I did, since I was by myself.

Every staff person I encountered was gracious and helpful, beginning with the driver who picked me up at the airport and continuing throughout my stay. I was welcomed back every time I returned, and the front desk staff always asked how my tours went. Would I stay at Bodhi Serene again? Absolutely! I hope I get another opportunity to visit Chiang Mai; if I do, I know where I'm staying.

Room Tip: Ground floor was quiet and safe; I didn't experience the upper floor rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Kathi E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

We read in other comments that the pool was green and needed attention- but it's fair to say they must have fixed this before we arrived late March. The pool was our savior!

It was one of the nicer pools we've seen at a hotel and perfect to relax next to on a hot day.

The staff were incredibly friendly and professional. Location is good too. Quite central.

The let down for us was the Mosquitos. Because they have a water feature with stagnant water we assumed they were breeding in there. They wrote a letter to us saying they were treating them but after each day our room was full of mozzies (I'm guessing the cleaners left doors open as they cleaned our room) a mosquito net over the bed would have been perfect- it's no fun going to bed covered in insect repellant!

The beds are hard/firm. We didn't mind it but if you like soft beds it may bug you.

The property is very clean and a nice atmosphere.

Breakfast is good- a nice selection of good.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Mouseyandhorsey
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We stayed at the Bohdi for 2 weeks so quiet and peaceful , and the staff was also very friendly if you need to book a tour very easy just go to the lobby so simple we did go see the Elephants and Long Neck tribe , the service was excellent as for the rooms very clean and relaxing the swimming pool may need some attention we ad a pleasant stay and it's the centre of everything
Markets Laundry food good little restaurants all you need thanks and enjoy

Room Tip: Check out a little restaurant nearby called JIMMY right on your left when you come out of the hotel...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Francesca155032
west midlands
Reviewed 15 March 2013

At short notice we secured the only family suite left(two beds each with en-suites, a good sized lounge/dining/kitchen) at a reasonable rate for two couples.The bedroom was large, bed comfortable, air coditioned and the en-suite had an enormous bath, walk-in shower WC and WHB. The l/d/kitchen area was very comfortable and opened onto a small balcony overlooking the central quadrangle, all very quiet. No beef with the water pressure and though we were adjacent to a small side road the noise was not excessive.Staff very friendly and efficient, food good, pool could have done with extra filtration, but the bottom was definitely visible! We had a great 3 nights there with no complaints.

Room Tip: Have a look at your room before accepting if possible.
2 Thank fuzzboxWestMidlands
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I booked executive room for 2 nights but got lucky free upgrade to one bedroom suite. A room is so big with a big bed, big bathtub and shower stall, kitchen and living area. Very satisfy. This hotel is not far from Saturday and Sunday night market, and also has free transportation to Night Bazaar (one way). A swimming pool is non-chlorinated, after I swam I found my skin was so fluffy! One thing so disappointed for me, They have no variety of breakfast.

1 Thank Jibbza
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Nice hotel which you wouldn't have known if you only judge it by its tiny entrance. The hotel layout is well designed and you cannot see any rooms from the main road thus avoiding noise from the roads. We stayed in a deluxe room which was very comfortable and well maintained. Only complaints were: water pressure could be stronger (didn't bother us really in the end as there was always hot water) and the TV took 5 minutes to turn on each time.
We tried the hotel restaurant a few times and also the ala carte menu. Never failed us. We also tried Dash! Restaurant which was very near the hotel and it was good too. As our room did not come with breakfast, we tried cafes around the area eg Dada Kafe. We also ordered room service one morning and the food tasted yummy.
Location is good as it is near to main sights within the old city. We walked one evening to the night bazaar and it was a pleasant/safe walk. Tuk tuk to major sights is 60THB but you could easily walk if you want to.
Reception was flexible for both check in and check out. We had our bill prepared the night before we left as we read reviews that they could be slow at billing but we did not face any problem. Taxi to airport arranged by hotel was 150THB.
I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: We were assigned room 137 which was the only room on the top floor. It was quiet and room interior i...
1 Thank iconic_traveller
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

I booked Bodhi Serene through a travel agent. First mistake.
The hotel is a 3star hotel that has fallen into a state of disrepair. The ambience is nice enough but needs to be cleaned and fluffed up. We were booked there for 3 days. We were never able to see the bottom of the green swimming pool. I complained on the first day. I was told that the pool would be beautiful the next day. No fun sitting by a nasty pool trying to enjoy a cool down after sightseeing. The pool was no better the next day. We moved to another hotel for our last night where we could actually see the bottom!
The beds were as hard as the floor. The staff are not trained in helping the residents. They have pads that could have been place over the platform for a bit more comfort. But not much.
If you are looking for a 2 star. This is a terrific place but why pay more?

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family