“A little hideaway in the city”

Shewe Wana Boutique Resort and Spa
Ranked #15 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 1 May 2011

The hotel is in a OK part of town (lots of automotive stores), but not far from anything. You can walk to the Night Bazaar in about 15-20 minutes or just take a cab and it will be less than 5. The hotel is kind of tucked away and you would not even know you were in a city once on the grounds. Great landscaping, pools, and spa. The breakfast was also a favorite when they served the mango pancakes. For the woman out there the shampoo and conditioner they provided was awesome. The staff did an incredible job to make sure you had a good stay. Great hotel to relax and rooms were large and comfortable.

Room Tip: Like anything in Thailand call and negotiate.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 April 2011

I traveled for two days only to do see some tourist attractions; staff exceed any expectation since the time you arrived here, very kind, taking care of all you needs all the time, giving you suggestions and always with a sweet smile. Rooms are very good, free internet, very good food, everyhing was excellent for me and my friends, will stay again and recommend this hotel without any doubt . .

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Beautiful facility with fine amenities. Staff is friendly, attentive, and helpful. Location is within walking distance of the NIght Bazaar.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I really enjoyed my stay, this hotel was close to city without being on top of it, it was in a busy location but the oasis like grounds/surrounding and friendly staff more than made up for this. My room was a tad noisy but I did have all the windows open and opted not to use the air conditioning. Breakfast was yummy and the staff were attentive.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Holiday_Living
Reviewed 7 January 2011

We wanted a place that was close to the center of Chiang Mai but not too modern or "touristy". We also needed a two-bedroom so our teen boys could have their space (or maybe it is we who need the space). Shewe Wana, which we found through Tripadvisor, hit the spot. Small, spotless and elegant in an old-word style, centrally located, and incredibly friendly. we really liked it here.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Trevor07
Reviewed 3 December 2010

I loved every bit of it. Great location, good service, fantastic breakfast, amazing premises full of beautiful details. We took a 2 bedrooms "apartment". Nothing was missing there! You can see the hand of the lady owner Joy on it.
It's close to main attractions by a busy road, yet quiet.
I stayed in 4 different places while in Chiang Mai and this one is my favourite. Of course, do not expect to pay the average guesthouse price but in my opinion it was worth it.
Joy lives there too which is handy and she speaks very good English (not many people in general do). She's always willing to help.
It has a quite good Spa too.
For me, it was a fantastic stay. I hope you enjoy it too.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Supermara
Reviewed 1 December 2010

We stayed at Shewe Wana for 4 nights in November 2010, a great month to visit Thailand. I can't say enough about the place. It is a comfortable walk to the lively bridge/area, with many nice restaurants, and a bit farther to the Tha Pae Gate to the Old City. This is the most "happening" area of the Old City. A couple of times we walked from the farthest edge of the Old City back to the hotel. If you're not up for the walk, tuk tuks and red-trucks cruise by Shewe Wana all the time. They'll take you to the center of the old city for about 40 Baht ($1.25). We went on two day trips that picked us up (along with people from other hotels). Both times we were the last to be picked up and first to be dropped off as many events are on the east side of town/country. The hotel is very quiet and a sanctuary from the busy streets. It is lush with beautiful plants, landscaped paths leading from one area to the next. Two pools: 1 small one in the court yard and a large one for swimming. The breakfast was fresh and full of variety (fruit, breads, Thai pancakes, and your choice of a hot item, such as omelette) included in the price. The room was on the small side but with king-size bed and cozy feel, nice bathroom. Definately a "boutique" feel to the place as a whole. We ate at the restaurant a couple of times. It was in the top 2-3 meals we had in all of Thailand. The staff were great, very friendly in general starting with a cold drink as you arrive, and actively helpful in making calls, arranging for day trips and anything else you might need. On a personal note: I was sad when I learned of my uncle's death and a staff member sat with me briefly and was very kind (not pushy or intrusive). I met the owner who gave me a tour of the 2 year old new addition of luxury suites. Although we did not stay in them, they are VERY nice, even more "tucked away" and a good value. WHEN we go back we will for sure stay in one. Spacious, secluded, pretty much like a condo I could easily live in full time. Though we did not use the spa service, it is convenient and very nice. They even have a chiropractor and wholistic practitioner on site. Free internet in the lobby and wi-fi. I couldn't recommend Shewe Wana more. If you are at all leary of staying in the heart of the city, which if you haven't been to Chiang Mai is very busy and loud, definately consider Shewe Wana.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple