“"It was like staying at home, away from home"”

Shewe Wana Boutique Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 6 October 2009

I have stayed at the Shewe Wana two times, both for long stays and had an over-the-top, friendly, warm experience. It was like staying a home away from home….in a very family atmosphere which I attribute to the super staff. I went to Chiang Mai to kick back and relax and wanted a small personal hotel as Chiang Mai is a small personal place…and that is exactly what I got!

I stayed about 12 or so days in Nov ‘08 and again for 4-5 days in Sept ’09 for almost 3 weeks total.

The staff and service were very accommodating…much better than most other hotels I have experienced. A few examples: When I wanted to buy a souvenirs, Khun “K” a staff member personally brought me on his motorcycle and helped me find the green chile sauce (“nam prik num”) that I was looking for; another example was with my breakfasts….the staff was very helpful to accommodate to my quirky special “oats” diet (not on the menu); another example is that the manager gave me 4 or 5 restaurant based on the type of restaurant I request…..she was knowledgeable, friendly, open and very willing to help; I ordered few pies an excellent bakery she recommended. When I checked out, I had a lot of excess laundry to do the last day and asked that it be done early, early in the morning….all was done above expectations!

On my second visit, I brought my partner…she absolutely loved it and she left with a great impression of Chiang Mai, in large part due to the hotel.

The room was extremely clean, the bathrooms had nice amenities, the water was piping hot, the towels were new and clean, the bedding was clean and there were plenty of plugs to recharged cameras, telephones and computers!! One would never guess that such a little quiet place would exist near the middle of town (about 2 or 3 Km due East of TaPe Gate).

I will be returning to the Shewe Wana soon! Patrick Holland

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BlueEyesPhuket

Reviewed 2 October 2009

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 28 September 2009

We lived a wonderful holiday in this hotel because the service was excellent. The hotel equipe was very very kind. We hope to return in this hotel

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2009

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Intended to stay here for relaxation and for some spa treatments after 2 months of travelling around Asia.
I read the reviews and liked the deal they had on but more importantly the non smoking hotel element very much appealed to me, however this was not the case in this so called health centre.
We arrived late Sunday afternoon, checked into what was deemed as an upgraded room, it was dark with no natural light but the biggest issue was the tiny path to the room(see pics) that was a feeding ground for mosquitoes (with lights on all night to attract all sorts of insects), so when we asked to see another room they showed us a room on the 2nd floor with an ashtray perched outside on the table below the window. When I questioned it she said it was all non smoking she said NO despite me seeing the other staff member removing the ashtray with a butt in it and then explaining to her in Thai that he had removed it. So we went off into Chiang Mai not pleased with what we had encountered so far and disappointed. The pool with some sun had 4 loungers so that was going to be fun as more than 4 people stayed there and I did not fancy getting up at 6am to take 2 of the loungers.
As for breakfast that was the icing on the cake. We got to breakfast and didn't get presented with a menu or anything, only later did we ask if the buffet was all that was available and we were told to order off the menu. They didn't seem to care too much about us and more about the older couple who they were were constantly fussing over. The eggs my partner ordered were then given to another table and when we asked if they were for us they said "oops" and would make more. We never received the second order of eggs. The food generally was mediocre at best.
We decided after doing some web research to move and I am glad we did. I am also glad that, as someone else mentioned, we did not make the full payment for the stay upfront as they wanted and only paid the first night.
All the comments on service from the reviews on TripAdvisor just didn't seem to happen for us and I think if they feel you are unhappy they just ignore you. For example when we checked out 2 days early they never even asked us why.
I think the phrase "Boutique" is bandied about by every place these days and I do not see what the justification was in this case.
Off to the Holiday Inn we went for a very enjoyable 5 night stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mcgringo
Reviewed 29 August 2009

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 26 August 2009

We stayed for a couple of nights at ths hotel and it is so pretty and charming. Wooden doors with traditional door locks. Wooden bed and furniture. It was a real experience and it was so different then the normal modern room fixtures seen in the chain hotels. The staff are so wonderful and bend over backwards. The best Mai Tai I've ever had.

It is about a 10 minute walk out of town but there are baht buses that charge 20bt to get to the night bizaar so it isn't a huge inconvenience.

My husband claims that his massage at the inhouse spa was the best he has ever had. Big call.

I would have no hesitation to recommend this hotel to anyone. Great value for money.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple