“a small heaven in the middle of the city”

Shewe Wana Boutique Resort and Spa
Ranked #17 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Cina
“a small heaven in the middle of the city”
Reviewed 17 February 2010

a beautiful hotel, very quiet and cozy
the staff is amazing! very welcoming and smiling at all times. we enjoyed every minute at shewe wana!
we found this hotel over the internet and must say it was the first time the pictures haven't disapointed us! what you see it what you get and more!
we were looking forward to coming back here every night after walking in the crouded city.
the spa is also very good, clean and welcoming! worth every cent!
we highly recomend this hotel for everyone!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
UK
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Hotel rooms are a little small with no sitting area, staff tried to sell us an upgrade at a very inflated price. Located close to the town centre, easy walking distance. Loved the 'jungle' walk to our room and over all the staff were very good and willing to help. Breakfast is basic but filling and in a lovely location. We would stay again mainly due to the location.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Madison
Reviewed 10 February 2010

After spending a month traveling through out Thailand, sleeping in beach bungalows, large high-rise hotels, and everything in between (including a tree house) I was happy to find what seems to be the hidden jem of Chiang Mai! The road is busy (nice for easy transportation) but once you step through the archway the sounds cease and you are immediately surrounded by a beautiful garden. The suits were wonderful, spacious, tastefully decorated and comfortable. The free wireless internet was a great plus.

The staff were wonderful, helping us find local attractions, locate the best restaurants and find the best shopping.

I stayed at Shewe Wana for just over a week but have already booked my trip for next January for a month!!!!!

Please contact me at [--] with any questions as I loved it and hope you find it as pleasant as I did.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed 1 February 2010

We were so disappointed with this hotel. It looked lovely and had really nice staff but was very over-priced due to it's bad location, freezing swimming pools and over-priced massages. It also felt really empty even in peak season. The signs around the place about '..committment to excellence...' were a little disturbing as well. I thought I had escaped corporate management for a holiday but it was not so at Shewe Wana. The owner who was staying on site also did not waste the opportunity to try and convince me that the hotel was full (despite there only being a handful of people) and the massages were a bargain, despite the fact they were three times the price you could find anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jodolena
Melbourne
Reviewed 25 January 2010

This hotel is a great change from a high rise with just two levels around the garden and pool. The more expensive suites are further down the block with another pool. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the bathrooms quite large. We had a free drink in the coffee shop when we arrived and there are two computers there which are free and also two in reception which you are free to use. The girls in reception can't do enough to help you. They arranged a tour for us and would run outside and flag down a tuk tuk or a taxi whenever we wanted to go out and arranged the price which was always less than we paid to get back! I wanted to go the a silver factory and they arranged that for us too and everything with a friendly smile. The hotel is too far to walk to the centre of town unless you really like walking but tuk tuks and taxis were cheap. The area didn't seem to have any other hotels as it was in the middle of local businesses like hardware, car and bike repair, lighting shops and plumbing places. Quite interesting to walk around and also a little fresh food market which was open everyday. We were the only western people there each day and would buy fruit for our lunch from the friendly stall holders. We really enjoyed Chiangmai, especially the Sunday Walking street which was a night market but with lots of handmade goods, not the usual market stuff you get everywhere. I had a very cheap manicure and pedicure and loved it so much I wanted to take the girl home with me. I was really pampered. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes somewhere quiet and doesn't mind being out of town. The breakfast was fine, freshly cooked but not a huge selection. There was a spa with massages and treatments but we didn't use that.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LozzaMelbourne
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 15 January 2010

I first came to the Shewe Wana in October of 2009, knowing that I would be frequenting Chiang Mai regularly. I wanted to find a boutique resort that was comfortable, clean, convenient, reflected a warm and inviting ambiance, provided decent service within a 3 to 4 star rating, but without the over pricing that I have found to become rampant within Chiang Mai within the "boutique hotel/resort niche". I found it at the Shewe Wana.

I have now stayed here on four separate occassions, each lasting between 4 - 7 days, the latest being January 2010. I will continue to return.

The service is professional, friendly, warm and receptive. The staff always do their best to fulfill my needs and requests, and I have never been disappointed. I have seen that the owner makes a point of greeting and meeting each guest if she is able and time allows.

The facilities themselves are nestled amongst very nicely landscaped greenery surrounding a small but refreshing pool. The place is quiet, which is amazing considering the proximity to the main Chiang Mai - Sankampaeng Road. It aptly fits its tag line, "Small Forest in The City".

The rooms are simply and elegantly fitted out in a Lanna style decor, but not overly done or ostentatious by any means. The beds and pillows are comfortable, the rooms spacious, and immaculately clean. The closet space is rather small in the deluxe rooms, so if you like to empty your suitcase and hang your clothes you'll have a problem there, but the suites have a walk in closet for two. The bathrooms and shower are also quite spacious and very clean. The suites even have a jacuzzi (single person), something you generally only find in the 5 and 6 star hotels.

Where other hotels charge for internet access, there is free broadband Wifi throughout the complex, as well as free to use pc's in the reception area and attached coffee shop. I find this extremely beneficial as many hotels (even the 6 star ones) charge exhorbitant

A nice touch is that the hotel practices green housekeeping policies and will wash your towels on request, as opposed to every day if it isn't required.

The hotel serves a daily buffet breakfast, which is simple, nothing fancy mind you, yet adequet and tasty. There is a small restaurant where you can eat lunch or dinner, and though hardly frequented, I find the food to be quite good. Be patient when ordering at lunch or dinner though, as you need to allow at least 30minutes to be served.

There is an attached, in house spa that I find to be as good as any I've been to within the boutique niche and depending on the package you book, a 2hr spa massage is often included.

I find the location to be excellent: It is a ten minute walk to the Ping river and many of the popular riverside bars and restaurants, namely Riverside and The Good View. It is not much further, maybe another 5 minute walk over the bridge to the night bazaar. Heading into the center of Chiang Mai? That will only take you 10 minutes by public transport, if that. And, if you are heading into town or anywhere else around Chiang Mai, it is very simple to catch a "rot daeng" (literally red truck") public taxi's that ply the roads, or the staff will be more than happy to book you a private cab.

If you are looking for excellent value for money with clean, comfortable facilites and convenient location, come to the Shewe Wana.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business