“Unforgettable”

Preston, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Unforgettable”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I really enjoyed my day out at Patara, you can tell that they do look after the elephants well. If you time it right when there is still young elephants- they are so much fun to play with.
They like to give you a talk about how they look after the elephants but its funny and interesting! If you get an elephant that loves you to practice being a mahut on them, then you'll get something out of it....i can't help but think my elephant had got a little fed up with people trying to talk to it! but it was still fun and I did everything that everyone else did. If I'd have done this trip at the beginning of my holiday I wouldn't have been bothered about other elephant rides because they're meaningless compared to this one. The lunch provided is amazing and there is loads of it.

Visited April 2012

• Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Highlight of our Thailand trip”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My wife and I spent 2 weeks in Thailand and Patara Elephant Farm was by far THE highlight of our trip.

We did our research on TripAdvisor before going, knowing that there are quite a few "elephant farms" to choose from that were of questionable quality. We wanted to choose a quality one to learn & spend time with these incredible animals.

For example, we met other travellers who told us they went to another farm, where they placed riding chairs on the elephants etc. (not Patara - you learn to ride them very safely - bareback, so that it does not harm the elephant skin/back) We also met a local Thai who told us he knew someone who owned 10 elephants and wanted to "make a business" of it. (these are the types that my wife & I simply wanted to avoid) (not Patara - we learned that Patara is currently working with professors at Chiang Mai University closely to further enhance & develop its elephant breeding program)

We appreciated Patara's approach & care to these animals - education & spending time getting to know the elephants during the morning (meeting your elephant, learning about its health/age etc, physical signs to look out for in caring for it, feeding, bathing). Then break for a very delicious included lunch that was so good, before we learned to mount & ride our elephants in the afternoon through the forrest/rivers/hills/terrain. Each elephant was also assigned its own trainer for the whole day. (i.e. you are never alone with the elephant, an expert staff is always a few steps away to ensure you are all OK. My trainer was asking throughout the day if I was OK, if the elephant wanted more food or teaching me various Thai phrases to communicate with my elephant - for example my elephant's name was "Booone", so "Dee-Dee Boooone" while patting my elephant meant "good boy Booone" and Booone would respond!) Overall riding time was around 2 hours or so - and we were so tired by the end of the day!

At the end of the day, two CDs were given to each participant packed full of high res photos & a few short vids (our group was a small 7 people: us a couple, a family of 4 with two small children (around 6 & 8 yrs old), and a solo). My wife and I just finished going through the photos, and they are phenomenal pics! We even met and fed the baby elephants, who were just born in 2011! (but of course no riding the babies! feeding only.)

We highly recommend Patara, if you are considering a once in a life time, very safe, authentic, educational & up close interactive - day with an elephant experience.

Cheers,
Johnny
JayWhyCanada

3 Thank JayWhyCanada
Philadelphia, PA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wondeful intimate experience with an elephant”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

The best day I spent in Thailand was at Patara. You get to spend the whole day with your own personal elephant, feeding and bathing it. There also was an AMAZING lunch. It's more expensive than the other elephant attractions, but worth it because you feel like they are treating their animals very well.

1 Thank adelamou
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“More than just a ride”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Personally this was one of my favorite parts of my trip to Thailand. The experience was more than just riding elephants, but an amazing learning experience about the care of elephants. I personally opted out of the swimming portion because I was like scared of them rolling around with me or my husband, but everyone else really looked like they enjoyed that part and there was a little waterfall to check out while they were doing that anyways.

Visited November 2011
San Francisco
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“The absolute BEST experience!”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We loved everything about Patara. The people, the elephants, the education, bathing the elephants, feeding them, walking with them, learning to ride and then riding through the hills and river for an hour and a half, lunch was fabulous in a beautiful setting with your elephant nearby. A DVD with video and photos are included and we will treasure it for the rest of our lives! Thank you Patara for doing what you do to teach people about the beauty and gentleness of the elephants.

2 Thank Bensmom55