“Great little hotel”

BanThai Village
Ranked #41 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“Great little hotel”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a deluxe room. Great location. Quick tuk tuk ride to everything. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Reception and housekeeping staff were excellent.
However the bar staff and breakfast staff were terrible. Rude, unhelpful and very disinterested in offering any service. Worst service we'd had in Thailand so far. But that wouldn't hope me off staying there again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Banthai-RSVN, Front Office Manager at BanThai Village, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your review here in Tripadvisor! I was so happy to ready that you had a higher rating for us. Regarding to our bar and breakfast staff, please accept our apologies that they made you disappointed for their service.I had reported to our Bar Supervisor to improve thier service . Once again, please accept our sincere apology I and Bantahi Village staffs do hope that we will be able to welcome you back sometime in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed here with a group of friends during Songkran We chose this hotel mainly because of its location and largely positive reviews. It didn't disappoint. It's right between the old city and the Ping River, but in a quiet alley off Thapae Road. It's a ten minute walk either way, the Night Bazaar is also close by.
Check-in fast efficient and friendly. The hotel is separated into three parts: the main compound with a swimming pool, bar and breakfast area; a building just opposite the reception area; and another compound with a plunge pool. We had three different rooms and three different parts of the hotel. They were all rather similar, so I wouldn't know which one to recommend. I stayed on the first floor within the main compound, which was quite pleasant.
Some people complained that there are not enough sun chairs, which is true, but during our stay we mostly had to pool to ourselves even though the hotel was fully booked.
Breakfast was adequate to get the day started but nothing special. We had lunch here once which was OK, but you'd get better deals elsewhere. We had a cocktail just for the sake of it but it wasn't really worth the price tag.
Mosquitoes are a menace here. On our first day we bought mosquito spray, fumigated our rooms and that was it. The other thing I didn't like was that that the curtains in my room didn't really block the morning light and were also a tat short on both sides.
Overall, it was a good choice for us and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. My partner and I stayed at the Oriental Siam last year but I think Banthai Village was much better value in every respect. If you're in Chiangmai for just 3-5 days, don't bother staying far away from the old city. It's inconvenient and transportation cost add up quickly. Tuk-Tuks are the most expensive way to get around, though sometimes there's no other option. Even proper taxis are cheaper. The cheapest way is to use red Songthaews, some kind of commuter vans that run all over the city. Just tell the driver where you want to go and they will drop you off at/near your destination for 20 Baht per person or 30 Baht if it's farther away. The first passengers getting onto the van decide the direction, so sometimes you'll have to wait for the right one.
Otherwise, take it easy and enjoy Chiangmai.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a good review on your recent stay with us.
We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us. In particular our rooms, our centralize location etc.
Thank you again for sharing your feedback and I hope it will not be long before we can welcome you back.
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Having read some reviews before comming here I did not no what too expect.
The hotel is seperated down the middle by a lane way , one side having the front desk large swimming pool and pool bar.
The large swimming pool some 15m long by 5m wide with a dept at the deep end comming too about 1.4 mtrs.The pool has some 8 sunlounges for those wishing some skin cancer , nice set up though.

The other side were we stayed had our family room upstairs upon entering we were very impressed.The room having a very comfortable double bed at one end and a single at the other.with too large aircons servicing the room .
The bathroom is very roomy with a shower/bath at one end and a shower at the other with hot water .
Wifi internet in the room and desk top computers available upstairs and in the office for your use.

Room cleaning spot on front desk staff a little quiet and not too helpful.
Tours can be organised here apparently we found out on our last day no real information on check in.

Our 5 days in the room very expensive $680Aud this was the down side , but a quiet place and close too most places.

Bathroom very spacious with an inclusive bath/shower at one end and a shower at the other end.Both having hot water which was great for us , with a sink and toilet in between?

As well as a couple of mossies in the room and a friendly gecko , the room had 2 aircon units which worked well.
A critism is the lack of free power points for phone charging etc etc.The rooms had good wifi internet.There are also desk top computers in the upstairs areas and in the office for use.

The hotel is a few minutes walk from the old city but easy too walk from here too the street market. And the night markets.

Our family room overlooked a smaller splash pool which is good too sit and cool off in.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gavin B
Banthai-RSVN, Front Office Manager at BanThai Village, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us through Trip Advisor, We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us. In particular our rooms, our centralize location etc and Thank you for your suggestion about our front desk satfsf and so sorry that they look like unhelpful but we're always to service all in house guests but the guests should require ,if not we can't help or inform anything for you because it's seem to be chaotic and disturb your privacy. i taken well note and share this comment for them to find any solutions for improve this negative point and for your comment "Tours can be organised here apparently we found out on our last day no real information on check in" Please kindly advise us via email : info@banthaivillage.com What isn't the real information that you had mentined in these comment ? i will clarify by email .
Thanks again, and we hope you'll choose BanThai Village the next time you're in Chiang Mai.
London
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed in April for 6 nights split between a visit to Pai (came back from Song Kran which was great fun!). First stay was in a ground floor room next to smaller pool (plunge pool really) and it was good for the price and location. Second stay was in the same building (not the main part) but 2nd floor - the stairs were a pain especially if you forget something in your room! 2nd room not as nice but still fine. As per the other comments, i'd agree there were some points that could be better (hot water or lack of, too few sun beds etc) but overall i would say if you need somewhere thats OK in Chiang Mai then you could do a lot worse. Staff helpful and i dont agree about the girls by the pool - we even had some basic Thai language lessons from them - well, they tried at least!

Location good for old town (10 mins to Tapae Gate) and night market (10 mins). Nice to be off the main streets as well.

Room Tip: Ground floor if you can
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Banthai-RSVN, Front Office Manager at BanThai Village, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay here at Banthai Village Chiang Mai. I was delighted to read you had such a positive experience .We look forward to seeing you back here in Chiang Mai, hopefully sooner than in 10 years time!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed there with my family at rooms by the pool for 4 nights, #211 & #212. First I would like to express my gratitude to the person who arranged for my rooms to be next to each other and the bedding configurations as I needed them to be.

Now I shall proceed to express my dissatisfaction with a couple of people who could have offered something basic as providing 'alternative suggestions' as expected of a hospitality
establishment. I was with my family and I had not want to make it a huge problem as it will just ruin our stay.

1. I had approached a gentleman. I did not get his name but he had very fair skin. I approached him to try and call the number I had given him to book at Maerim Shooting Range for the next day. He tried once and he said that no one picked up the line. So I told him to keep trying whenever he could as my family and I will be out the afternoon and return hours later.

To my disappointment, he left work to enjoy the water festival and on top of that he did not pass over to his colleagues about it. So no one knew if the reservation was made. His colleagues tried to get him but he was unreachable. Secondly, no one offered an alternative place.

2. I don't mean to be this accusing, It is not in my nature to do so but I simply could not stand it if a front desk staff could just smile sheepishly at my question and tell me "i don't know" or " Sorry I'm not sure" then just gave up and do his work (it is not cute).

You are the working there! How can you know nothing?? It was as simple as asking for suggestions for places to eat & directions. You can approach Mr Leo on this and check with him.

I had the opportunity to meet the permanent night shift staff and I regret I didn't meet him sooner for my troubles (other than for my wake up call). I was able to get by because of the Taxi drivers. They are more than willing to give me more information than your front desk people.

3. On the last day of my stay, I asked one of your girl (the one who checked me in) to help me check if my booking for Khum Khantoke is confirmed. I gave the number to her.

In the afternoon, she told me yes. And I asked her to get me a cab for 6pm for 5 pax. This lady receptionist was with Ms Sugarcane. They both were there (I think) when i was informed that the taxi is charging me for $400 and i am to pay to the hotel. Fine, i didnt have much choice anyway. It was hard to get cabs during that time. I understood.

Later at 6pm, Mr Leo was there to serve me again! and I do not know how it went wrong. One of them told the driver the wrong place. After taking $400! How could you get the place wrong when I gave you the number to confirm the booking?

By the way, i received no form of apology whatsoever. Not a word. It is as if it never happened.

****please do not tell me that they are not good in English, I spoke to them in Thai. I am half Thai and I am sure I did not attempt to speak to them about difficult topics***

I am a front desk receptionist myself. I work in Singapore in a 4 star serviced apartment property. I have handled guests from foreign countries just as you have. When people ask me for a suggestion I give them a few. I'll give them 10 if i could.

When people come to me for help I don't rip them off with expensive taxi fare and send them to the wrong place (don't get me wrong, I like the taxi driver, he is great. Get your reception people straight).

I don't smile and say "i don't know", forget about my guest and do my work. I tell the guest to give me more time. I go into the internet, i check with my colleague, check with my superior, call the agency and inquire more. And after all that, call the guest and tell them!

Please please please, tell your staff to be more helpful and informative. I am sure they are nice in their own way but this is really not expected for a boutique hotel in Chiang Mai, Thailand the land here people are known for fabulous hospitality and attentiveness.

To the girl who checked me in, she was nice, but I had not really seen her much during my stay. Thank her for her efforts. She did try.

I was lucky to get a good deal in Agoda. If I had paid for your published rate for my stay I would have felt utterly let down.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Dutsada
Banthai-RSVN, Front Office Manager at BanThai Village, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you very much for giving us a chance to serve you and family during Thai new year and sharing your comment through Trip Advisor . We are very sorry to hear that you 're not satisfied with our service as per you expected. Please accept our apologies due to we have had more than 100 guests in house daily in these period ,So it was our busy day s Unfortunalely ,it could happened and we are pleased to inform your suggestion as folloeing resons;
1.Shooting tour since you had given us to telephone for ask availabilities at thier company that you are interested in but after we had tried to call there serveral time ,there was no answer ,this could happened due to Song kran Festival ,maybe they didn't operate the tour at all since some important areas (also our hotel area) are closed or had traffic jam during Song Kran period and we don't want to recommend another shooting tour compay due to we are not expert about the Shooting tour, we thought about your sercure .
2.Overprice taxi to the restaurant in the old city area ;as i ahd informed you that all the road in the old city were closed or struck in traffic jam Do,it is very difficult to find a taxi which agree to drive there ,Unless it costs more than normal price.
3.Wrong place for Khuntoke Dinner,its our mistake and on behalf of them, I am deeply sorry for this matter during your recent stay. I am immediately improving their service and thank you very much for your suggestions about the details for approach to service. whatever, I and all of manager we was on duty on these date, our general manager she meet and greet you in every morning at the breakfast area, if you inform us on this date that the matter happened, we can find any solutions or can do anything for you as per your wish. Incidentally, you had written a comment on Trips advisor and didn't inform us for the matter for now, just only one thing we can do for you, we 'are deeply sorry for this matter and we don't want anything happened with you and your family during your recent stay.
Once again, please accept our sincere apology. If you have anything to advise us in order to maintain and improve our service and qualities please kindly inform us by email: info@banthaivillage.com we're always eager to hear what you liked and how we can improve.
Nambucca Heads NSW
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed as a couple for 4 nights in March in a Superior Room which was located on 2nd floor not in the main building. The stairs where not a great problem, however I would try for a room on the next floor down which has a better outlook.
The complex consists of two areas separated via a lane with reception, dining proper pool and bar in the main one and a 2 story (G,1st & 2nd) over the lane consisting of a small pool with a couple of nice quiet areas to sit, read or have a quiet drink.
Room contained a sort of sunken bath /shower which was OK, the room was a little compact with a very large and comfortable bed,two chairs, room for your luggage, security safe with tea/coffee making facilities.
Breakfast is served adjacent to the main pool and you have option of western or buffet style, coffee is good and quantity is ample.
You are located within easy waling distance of Night Market area or the other way to Tapee Gates, plenty of restaurants around with convenience service stores in either direction.
We ate a couple of lunches and a dinner in the hotel restaurant area and the food was excellent with the beer being cold.
Well maintained hotel and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We preferred the building without the dining area and reception.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us. In particular our rooms, our centralize location , and courtesies and our food offerings.

We look forward in welcoming you once again to Banthai Village Chiang Mai.
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

First impression - ideally located, peaceful and popular.
Room - queen size double on ground floor. Room has adequate space and all facilities expected for price and region. Bath is too deep to fill without causing a water shortage.
Sun beds - very few for the number of guests.
Bikes - 2 free bikes on offer on first come first served basis. My recommended method of transport for the old town.
Overall - is ok. Could be brilliant but fails in lots of ways. Would not return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Banthai-RSVN, Front Office Manager at BanThai Village, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you very much for giving us a chance to serve you during your recent visit and sharing your comment through TripAdvisor. Your comments are of our utmost concern and we would like to explain to you as follow;

1.Bath is too deep to fill without causing a water shortage.
-Due to our bath tub mix between local lanna and japanses syles it's different from another hotel.
2.Swimming pools - one is waist deep, very small and more of a feature than a pool per se. The main pool is ideal and despite all staff appearing to clean it during breakfast, there is an interesting top later of oil/grease.
Sun beds - very few for the number of guests.

-Please kindly inform we're a small boutique hotel in the heart of Chiangmai our swimming pool it's normally size of boutique hotel in Chiangmai and we have 2 swimming pool is available and we can put only 2 sunbeds at the small pool and put 8 sun beds around the mian pool due to the our limit space and for interesting top later of oil/grease ...from sunscreen of the guests due to they use it before they swim.

3.Staff - very little English comprehension. Staff only recommend tours they have contracts with. Do not use the moped company (man) they recommend.

-The period that you recent stay We get an internship Student of the summer period ,that's mean you may talk with them ,some time they don't understand some word that you talk with them.
-The tour , yes we had booked and recommend the tour agents that we have a contract due to if something was happen we can manage everything and solve the problem immediately.

4.Do not use the moped company (man) they recommend.
-we have taken well note for this comment and i will inform him for your comment and we have many moped company that we're offring for our in house guests.

Once again, please accept our sincere apology. should you need anything to suggest us please contract direct to our email .

Thanks,