“Best Hotel in Chang Mai”

Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai
Ranked #19 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Miami Beach, Florida
“Best Hotel in Chang Mai”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

The reputation of Shangri-La continues as a true 5 star hotel in Chiang Mai. We stayed in a Horizion Suite on the 11th Floor, I highly suggest staying in one of the Horizion Suite rooms because it gives you access to the Horizion Suite club. There is a Business Center there. 2 computers, printers and fax machines for free. Everyday there is a huge Breakfast with English, Chinese, or Thai food. The staff is wonderful. Hosts De and Robert were very helpful, in booking local tours and explaining which tours were better then others, the room was first class with 2 showers, huge bathtub, turndown service daily, 24 hour room service. We loved seeing the Old City on the Segway...Best way to see the city, the Eagle Track Zip Line was an all day event for the young at heart and taking care of an Elephant for the day at the conservation center was a real highlight. April is a very hot month, and the hotel has good food, but there are near by places to eat that are inexpensive with really good local cuisine. The Night market comes alive and is only a few blocks away. Everyone is friendly and we look forward to staying in Shangri-La Chiang Mai again. By the way, the hotel airport transfer is well worth the price only 550 baht to or from the airport which is only about 15 minutes from the hotel. Less then $20USD. This was the last Shangri-La we stayed at for our 3 week honeymoon. Prior to that we also stayed at the Shargri-La Bangkok and the Shangri-la Maldives, I hope everyone gets to enjoy the Maldives at least once in a life time, it was pure paradise !!!

2 Thank NiceGringo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newbury Park, California
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. It was perfect for our family of four. We ate room service and swam in their great pool. We LOVED our day trips to the Tiger Kingdom and the Golden Triangle. The Horizon Club was great and the attendants played with our 3 year old. But the thing that meant the most to me was upon check out. They let us check out at 5pm, so we could rest before a red-eye. Who does that? And THEN, we forgot my daughter's stuffed hippo (which has been to 22 countries with her). Upon realizing it at the airport, we called the hotel, and they sent her hippo on a taxi to get to us before our flight! That meant the world to me and my little girl, who was in tears. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, we would happily stay there again if we ever come back to Chiang Mai!

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank caseymoe
Nelson
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I was really looking forward to our stay in the Chiang Mai Shangri-La. This is one of my favourite hotel brands in one of my favourite cities. Granted, it had been a long time since I'd been here so I wasn't really sure if this would be a good choice or not, but lucky for us, it was.

The hotel itself is well located, close to the night bazaar and Tapae Road, it is very central and a short trip to anywhere (the airport and railway station are each about a ten-fifteen minute drive away). The mountain view rooms look out on Doi Suthep, as long as you're not there during the smoggy dry season while the local farmers are burning off their fields and it's near impossible to see anything!

Our room was very large and as mentioned above, had great views. The bathroom was also good, there was both a shower and bath (20th floor in a Horizon club room). The free wifi was appreciated, but very, very slow. I would not have been happy if we'd had to pay for it.

Aside from breakfast and cocktails in the Horizon lounge, we did not eat at the hotel, there was too much to try in the city itself, so I cannot comment on the restaurants. The lounge itself was good, not as grand as at some of the hotel's sister properties, but still a great place to have breakfast or a cocktail at night. The a la carte options at breakfast included waffles, pancakes or eggs. The lounge staff were excellent, very helpful and knowledgable.

The pool area was excellent and a fantastic way to spend a lazy afternoon in the sun recovering after tours or cooking classes! The pool was very large (and very deep in parts) so it didn't feel too crowded in spite of the large number of people there at times. Life guards were always present and a poolside menu was available for drinks and snacks. There is also a giant chess board!

The hotel spa was good, we enjoyed a very competent massage in very pleasant surroundings.

All in all a good stay, the only negative being the wifi. The hotel is like the city itself, a little laid back, almost provincial when compared to big sister Bangkok and hotels there, but it has nice character and we left feeling refreshed and glad we visited.

1 Thank TheCameleer
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 April 2013

From our arrival to our departure this hotel did not spoil my expectations of Thai hospitality. The staff from reception to the club paid attention to even the slightest details.

Walking distance to the night market down the street and many restaurants, easy transportation to many other areas of the city as well. The staff at the club level were outstanding in helping us plan our romps around town.

However... or BUt...... there were some aspects of our stay that surprised me. For example, the club room's hospitality closed a bit early. Also, the pool and spa closed at 7PM which for us and our touring schedule really put it outside the possibility of using it and that hot tub would most definitely have been used.

The food in the club room was varied and always good, the drinks generous. The club rooms were welll appointed and elegant, all areas of the hotel, gardens and pools were absolutely immaculate.

Room Tip: Face the pool and garden vs the street for a more peaceful view
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CJPSanRamon
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Being a diamond member continuously for the past 2 years, I've had the opportunity to sample Both Shangri-la and Traders hotel chain in various countries and never had any complaint till date.

It's my first night in Shangri-la Chiang Mai today. Since arrival today, everyone from Concierge to Reception and even in the Restaurants have been superb in terms of service. The room, a Deluxe room was nice. Pool view, high floor etc. Toiletries seems to be without Shaver and comb, something I've always found supplied in every Shangri-la and Traders hotel throughout.

Upon leaving for the evening Saturday night market (which was the longest Night market I've ever been to), I requested Guest Service to send Housekeeping to my room on the 8th floor to do the evening touch up or turn down service. Before leaving the room, I personally placed all used towels into the bathtub, indicating that these are dirty and need to be changed.

Coming back from the night market, I was disappointed to see the facial towel being hung to dry on the towel hanging rack. It definitely was not done by us because I personally placed it into the tub. This only means that they have ran out of facial towel and had intended to reuse it by hanging it to dry.

This was definitely unexpected from Housekeeping and it's a shame that one bad apple would have spoilt all the fantastic effort from the other members of your team.

Regardless of this my stay here has been so far wonderful and would definitely return again.

Room Tip: Depending on choice, go for high floor. I loved the pool view.
1 Thank Santawang
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights (16-19th April). We had a mountain/city view room that offered plenty of space, very nicely decorated, clean and surprisingly private which is great. The bathroom was big and light, with the complimentary toiletries being replenished daily which was a nice touch when you compare it to other 5 star hotels. The turn down service is something to remember ... !

The breakfast area has anything imaginable to offer - so great variety! The croissants left something to be desired though, so there is room for improvement here but that is the only slight negative comment as we really did enjoy our stay here.

The staff are very courteous, friendly and very helpful, from the bell boy to the waiter and the concierge to pool staff. The girl at reception was very friendly and always willing to offer any recommendations of where to go in the day/evening which we found to be a nice touch, although we had already planned what we were going to do each day (i.e.Elephant Nature Park and Flight of the Gibbon).

All in all I LOVED this hotel and can honestly say have fallen in love with the Shangri-La brand. I hope if we ever get the opportunity to stay at another one (hopefully this very one) we will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The lead in rooms - mountain view rooms offer you views of the sun setting.
1 Thank HappyTraveller2310
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2013

My wife and I stayed for a week in a Horizon Club room. A friendly and relaxed atmosphere coupled with the service and facilities we have come to expect from Shangri-La Hotels made our stay comfortable and enjoyable.

Unfortunately, due to a change in the flight time on our departure, we had insufficient time to fill in the "how do we rate?" card. Given the time, we would have mentioned that the Thai restaurant in the hotel offered a basic unimaginative menu that fell far short of that expected in a 5 star hotel, though the service was good.

The "Kad Kafe" offered an amazing range of buffet dishes, themed on various nights, but which failed to gel together. The sashimi bar could offer only two types of the three fish displayed as available, and had no pickled ginger; Mango and sticky rice had apparently "run out" (as in the Thai restaurant), and on the two occasions we ate in that restaurant, I sat with an empty glass for the duration of the meal once I had finished my one beer - a lost opportunity for the hotel, as I would gladly have had a second glass if offered.

My wife and I booked for a massage together in the "Chi" spa. We were disappointed, not with the massage, but that our one hour booking turned out to be a 45 minute massage in an un-airconditioned room, with the balance of the one hour taken up by walking to and from the treatment room and drinking the post massage tea. The management could learn something from the "Chi" spa in Bangkok.

Notwithstanding the above, we would still recommend the hotel.

1 Thank RichardP603