“Excellent value and a good location for night bazaar”

Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai
Ranked #20 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Stayed for 3 nights, big hotel with clean and welcoming entrance lobby - rooms well furnished and very comfortable. Arrived late at night, check in was speedy and faultless.

The breakfast buffet was very good with plenty of choice and good quality food, both western and Asian available.

Huge swimming pool with separate kids pool in the shade, drinks and ice creams bought round regularly. Didn't use restaurants in the evening but easy to get to night bazaar or the centre of the town.

For the price would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bowens_11
Write a ReviewReviews (2,106)

Reviewed 28 August 2014

This hotel is really what you expect to get from a shangri la but more,the service was amazing and the horizon lounge another lovely experience.
The pool area and it's staff members are lovely and very helpful, great location with easy access to everything from night market to local shops and more.
Highly recommend a horizon club room

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Great Hotel in my destination City

I have been visiting Chiang Mai for 12 years as one of my best friends live here. There are many great Hotels in Chiang Mai but I love the Shangri-La due to its Asian feel and hospitality. It is located a 5 min walk from the top of the night bazaar and close to my favourite Italian restaurant, so it is in a great location.
The rooms are large and well maintained and beautifully appointed. The service was great and the breakfast was very good with an extensive range of food.
The pool area is the best I have seen out of the Hotels I have stayed at in Chiang Mai as it is a resort style pool with lounge service. The day spa was also excellent.
I would highly recommend this Hotel if you are looking to stay in Chiang Mai

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We spent Christmas 2012 at the Shangri-La in Chiang Mai (earliest I could select for the review was Sep 13) and the hotel was perfect in every way. Our room was luxurious, comfortable and spotless, and we enjoyed every night we spent here - we didn't want to leave!
From the moment we checked in to the moment we left, the staff did everything they could to be helpful and polite.
We enjoyed lazing by the gorgeous swimming pool, and spent Christmas day sipping cocktails in the outdoor jacuzzi. I would recommend the executive rooms which give you use of the executive lounge - a lovely touch.
The only slight disappointment of the stay was our meal in the hotel restaurant (I believe it was the Chang Garden.) Especially at the price it was, the meal was not up to scratch - service was slow, long delays between food (eg. rice coming out long before main courses, and when we asked for fresh rice that took forever in itself etc.) However after my boyfriend advised the manager upon check-out, the meal was taken off the bill which I think is just the kind of gesture that summarises the customer service level you can expect at the Shangri-La.
We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Great hotel. Stayed as a family with our two children under 12. We had a club room.
Our names were always remembered by staff. There weren't many children staying at the hotel so my kids were always fussed over.
Pool area is beautiful and well designed. Quiet but not too stuffy for kids.
Very easy to get transportation to the Night Market and we walked a lot too. Great location.
The hotel recommended a tailor to me (I can't remember the name), which was just up the road. I am used to Asian tailors and the clothes they made for me are far superior to others I've used. The tailor came to the hotel for the first fitting.
3D art museum was amazing. Walkable from the hotel and well worth a few hours. My kids loved it.
Children loved the juice/smoothie bar by the pool. Kad Kafe was reasonably priced and food quality great.
Would recommend without a doubt.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel is as good as all the reviews suggest. From the moment we stepped off the plane and were met by hotel staff at the airport we were made to feel really welcome. Nothing was too much of a problem. The building itself is beautiful and the rooms are amazing. Nothing was too much hassle. We had rooms in the Horizon Club where the staff were always attentive and available to answer our questions. When we came back from a two day trek they were superb in ensuring that we got cleaned up and our clothes washed as fast as possible. And when there was an error on the bill they corrected it immediately. I cannot recommend this hotel enough. Its great for families. Brilliant location, large pool, decent fitness room, excellent food and top quality staff. Made out stay in Chiang Mai really memorable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SJL1605
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My family and I stayed here for 4 nights at the end of July and had a great time. The service was superb and the staff were so lovely from the moment we were met at the airport by a hotel limo until the moment we were reluctantly taken back to the airport at the end of our stay.
My husband and I had a premier room in the Horizon Club, whilst our grown up daughters had a deluxe room in the Horizon club. Both rooms were lovely but the Premier room was worth paying the bit extra for, it was huge. The Horizon club was great. There were free cocktails, drinks and canapes for a couple of hours every evening and it was a lovely place to relax at the end of a busy day. A special mention has to go to George, the Concierge in the Horizon Club, he was so helpful and spent a lot of time with us planning our days and booking trips for us whilst we were there.
We ate in the Kad Kafe for three of our nights, we had only planned to go there once but the food was so good and the choice was so extensive that we kept going back! It was also very reasonably priced. We did eat in the Shang Garden one evening,and although the service was great, we much preferred the selection of food in the Kad Kafe.
The hotel is in a good location and we enjoyed walking to the Nightmarket a couple of evenings. It is also a 5 minute walk to the 3D art museum, which is well worth a visit.
The pool is lovely and behind the pool is the spa which is so peaceful and inviting. My daughter was the only one who had a treatment and she said it was the best massage that she'd ever had! There was some building work going on next door to the pool but this didn't bother us.
We all loved Chiang Mai and will definitely stay at the ShangriLa next time we visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family