Lowest prices for your stay
£79
London, United Kingdom

Quite a bad hotel

Review of Pingviman Hotel
2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 12 Apr 2019
We booked an "Executive Suite with pool access" and at first glance this hotel was lovely. The front of the hotel, the lobby, the area with the koi fish and the room itself all looked really cool - but the looks were concealing the reality, that this hotel is not good at all. It is obvious to me that the staff or management don't test the hotel on themselves and self-critique. From start to finish of our stay, little bits and pieces were wrong in every way which all added up to a frustrating waste of money and a bad experience.

Having already listed all the positives of this hotel, I will now list the negatives. It is my hope that the hotel read my review and act on all of these problems. They are mainly easy fixes. Currently the hotel is bad and I would not go again if I was paid to, but it is only a few steps away from being really good.

1) The hotel has a big mosquito problem. Before going to sleep each night I would have to dedicate 20mins or so to chasing mosquitos around my room and swatting them. After getting them all, I would then wake up each morning, bitten several times and with multiple mosquitos in the room. Either the room isn't air tight or they're coming in through the ventilation. I was eaten alive every day.

2) Having a pool access room was a terrible decision and it is not value for money. It was such a noisy room. Every hour of day time, the pool was full of screaming kids which not only meant that we were constantly disturbed in our room, it also meant that we completely avoided the pool altogether which is a shame as we wanted to use it initially.

Another issue with having a pool access room was security. The bolt on our room door was so short that given a tiny nudge, the bolt would come out of the bolt socket when padlocked and the door would swing wide open. This isn't great for a room that's about 1 meter away from other people at all times.

We came back one day during the cleaning of our room and waited outside until they were finished. I watched the cleaner closely and she left the room unlocked and unattended for a total of 7 minutes (...by the pool) while she went to get a replacement drink for the mini bar. I was so shocked by what I saw that I put it to the test and actually managed to sneak in to my own room, walk around in there for a couple of minutes and leave again - and they didn't even notice anyone had been in! Anybody could have stolen my belongings.

3) The WiFi is terrible, averaging around 5mb per MINUTE. They may as well not have it. I rely on good WiFi for my work and was not happy that I had to spend a lot of money on data and tether instead.

4) The room did not function.

From start to finish, our toilet did not flush properly meaning it was often unusable. I complained to reception and they did nothing but shrug their shoulders. We were forced to leave our room and use the reception toilets (which were full of mosquitos).

Two small toilet rolls is not sufficient for two people for 24hrs forcing us to make sure the room was cleaned every single day. In my opinion, a good hotel should supply you with enough stuff in the room so that you can miss a clean every other day and it not affect you.

No shower gel was supplied.

Bubble bath was supplied, but fixed in the shower and couldn't be taken over to the bath...

Only enough Coffee Mate was supplied for one cup of coffee per day. No milk. So basically, only one person can have a tea or coffee each day if they like milk with their drink.

5) The laundry service is ridiculously expensive. At 30 to 40 baht per item, it's not too bad for shirts, shorts and trousers. But also at 30 to 40 per item is socks and underwear. Brining the price of a 5 day wash to over 500 baht. It really adds up.

6) The restaurant room. Breakfast wasn't great to be honest. The least impressive out of all the Thai hotels we have stayed in on this 3 week trip. A lack of western options and on some days, nothing was labelled so you just had to guess what each dish was. Often, nothing was restocked at all or for long periods of time meaning dishes had either been sat out there for ages, or were just left empty.

We had the misfortune of buying dinner in the hotel's restaurant one night. This was terrible. It was the worst food I'd eaten at a restaurant in Chiang Mai. The satay chicken I was served was inedible gristle, terrible quality meat - and it was uncooked! Red raw in the middle. We had nearly an hour wait for our dishes to arrive, it was overpriced, poor quality food and again, the room was absolutely full of mosquitos.

7) The language barrier. The hotel has around 3 (from what I could tell) members of staff that speak good English. The rest of the staff, including the other receptionists, literally speak 0 English. So if you have a question or complaint and one of the English speaking members of staff isn't there, you may as well walk away and not bother.

Overall, I'm really shocked that everyone else's reviews are so positive. I give a fair assessment I believe and all in all, this was simply substandard compared to any other hotel we've stayed at in Thailand.
Date of stay: April 2019
Room Tip: Don't book the pool access room, it's a bad thing
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2.0 of 5 bubblesValue
  • Expedia.com
    £273
4.6 miles from Pingviman Hotel
View more hotels in Chiang Mai
All reviews spa bath carved wood old city beautiful oasis traditional thai hotel egg station pool area lovely hotel koi pond within the walls breakfast selection huge room lanna style spent nights here beautiful room the ground floor spacious rooms
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 April 2019

Went to Thailand in October and stayed at the Pingviman Hotel. We had an amazing experience there. I have traveled to many places and stayed at many hotels, and I must say that Pingviman has the best breakfast buffet I have ever had in my life. There are so many different choices of food and they include different areas of the world in their buffet. The rooms were beautiful. We stayed in a Deluxe Suite that had a cute balcony that led to their public pool. The room was huge and the bed was humongous. The headboard was incredibly ornate, but be careful because it is surely solid wood and if you hit your head, it does hurt. The bathroom was also humongous and very clean. I appreciated having the shower and the bath in there. There was a safe which was secure and we kept any travel documents and expensive items in there while we were out. The room was cleaned each day (unless we put up the sign) and the sheets were crisp and fresh. They even folded the pjs we had left on the bed. The pool was gorgeous. The only problem was that the trees covered the sun, so you had to be in the pool around noon to feel it. The nice thing was that you could order drinks and food poolside so it was nice to sit there and enjoy a quick meal or drink while relaxing. The hotel is located on the edge of the Old City right next to an entrance, so it made it very easy to get in and out of the wall. The front desk staff were very kind and friendly and would try to help with any questions we had. They even warned us from going to a certain area because we might not find anything to do and it took awhile to get there. The person at the tourist/information desk was incredibly helpful and helped us to arrange most--if not all, of our excursions and for a good price. We really enjoyed staying at Pingviman and would do so again in a heartbeat the next time in Chiang Mai.

Room tip: Deluxe Rooms offer poolside balcony
Date of stay: October 2018
1  Thank catmdino
Reviewed 27 March 2019

We stayed for 3 nights in this elegant hotel on the edge of the old city. It’s amazingly quiet considering it’s surrounded by the bustle of the local streets. The arrangement of the rooms around the lovely pool gives it an intimate feel. There is a gym which is adequate but it’s not the best equipped we have seen. The staff are very helpful. A short walk takes you to a variety of restaurants and bars. It’s easy to pick up a tuk-tuk or red taxi if you want to explore further.

Reviewed 26 March 2019

Gorgeous, sumptuous Northern Thai style hotel with lashings of dark shiny wood and intricate decor. We stayed for three nights and wished we could stay longer. The room was HUGE with air con and a lovely bed. The balcony overlooked the lovely pool and was a nice place to take in the stars in the evening with a glass of chilled wine. Bliss!

Room tip: We liked the upper storey rooms overlooking the pool
Date of stay: February 2019
Reviewed 25 March 2019

Last month was my second time staying here. The first time I stayed for 3 nights with my best friend and had a brilliant time, hence coming back.

This time I was here for 4 nights with my boyfriend, as part of a 3 week trip around Thailand. We both loved this hotel - the staff are so lovely, the hotel itself is absolutely beautiful and so peaceful and our room was enormous and had an amazing jacuzzi bath which we took full advantage of! It's also close to a number of great restaurants (we recommend the nearby Hua Kei restaurant for cheap eats) a short ride away from the night market and opposite a self-service laundry place.

I would definitely stay here again - for the third time! Thank you Pingviman for a lovely stay.

Reviewed 17 March 2019

We loved the hotel. Location was great for night market and temple hopping. Pool was great. Breakfast was awesome. Room was really cool. It had the feel of a traditional elegant Thai hotel, but new construction and amenities. We loved our stay at this hotel.