“Right at home at this quiet Chiang Mai oasis”

Oriental Siam Resort
Ranked #48 of 375 Hotels in Chiang Mai
New Jersey
“Right at home at this quiet Chiang Mai oasis”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We spent 4 nights at this family owned and operated boutique small hotel. Located outside of the city, it is a quiet oasis set in lush well tended gardens. Villa style rooms were large and comfortable and hot and cold breakfasts made to order served on your porch or in the communal area were a great start to the day. Being outside the city car/taxi service is needed to get to town easily arranged at the hotel and very reasonable. If you are not going into town for dinner, there is a good restaurant nearby that is owned by another family member, a short drive away (which they will provide) or walk. Pongsri, her husband and staff were all so helpful with activities and welcomed us like we were family. Highly recommended for a more quiet and homey experience for your stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hotyogaval

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I loved this hotel. It was one of the necest in terms of service and food and accomodations in all the places in Thailand. The people are absolutely great and I would stay here again.

There are two reasons this place does not get five stars. The first is the location. It was difficult getting back to this place from town even with the maps they gave us. We usually made it back (don't take a Tuk-tuk) and it was always a great experience, but it was hard at times. Also costs a lot to get there from town. We paid between 350-450 baht to get back and about 200 to get there. This was a little more than you will pay elsewhere.

The other reason is because we had a bad cab driver leaving. I had let my gaurd down the first day because of how friendly the people were (100% my fault) and asked to get food before we went to a tailor in the city. The tailor was highly reccomended and I knew where I was going.... When we arrived to the place for lunch, which was on the other side of town, and the driver said he would wait. I thought this was nice, and he showed me the outside of some shops, but again, I thought nothing of it. Once we were done with lunch I directed him to the tailor and he said we needed to stop at one of the 'silk factories' right outside of where we ate lunch. I said no and to take us to where WE agreed on before. He ended up taking us there, but the price changed from 200 baht to 600 baht. I told him to call the hotel and see what happened and why the price changed. The explaination was because he 'waited for us.' Regarless, we ended up paying the 200 and he brought us to the shop I asked for. I have a great review for the tailor and I am happy I was thinking on my feet when I said no to the silk factory. Here is the kicker: this guy called the tailor 30 minutes later and demanded a commision which they refused to pay.

Positives:

Great breakfast, coffee when I asked for some (was good too!), room service was great; had my clothes washed and they called several people for a tour I wanted, and brought more fruit at breakfast!

Reccomendations for Chiang Mai:

Patara Elephant Farm and A lot of Thai cooking class. BOOK EARLY!!

Room Tip: Great Breakfast, great serive, location is out of the way
3 Thank Giro S
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Just about to leave the Oriental Siam after staying 3 very p,wasabi nights/days
In this place.

All the staff including the owner/manager "Pongsri" as well as the other staff "Top" just
And driver "Mr Pom" have been extremely nice and helpful.

The quality of the room is great. As previous reviews said not 5 star but it is not trying to be.
The food is good not a huge selection but what you get is very nice. Had the Tom yam goon
Soup and in my opinion as good as I had anywhere else.

I will definitely return here with my husband later in the year.
The people who previously didn't like it probably should have their expectations checked
and check into a large resort.

For what it is and where it is it's excellent.
Thanks to the staff.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Jaws550402
Delhi
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Hotel is small but beautifully created...cool and calm. The owners ( couple) are very kind and lovely people. They take care of every guest personally. Peter (owner) personally takes care of the garden. Breakfast is good and made to match your taste buds. Only a little negative about this property is that its at 15 minutes drive from the night bazar & downtown. Otherwise everything is perfect. Good for couples & family. All staff are very helpful and smiling.

Room Tip: all rooms are good
1 Thank Hotelanalyser
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is a very nice place with particularly nice staff.

We really enjoyed our stay over Christmas 2013. It is not a 5 star resort and was surprisingly compact on arrival, but once you relax into it it feels plenty spacious enough. The owner and staff are very nice and helped us a lot while we stayed. You can have a masseuse come to you room to give a very good massage. They sorted train and bus tickets for us. Picked us up from the airport.

Positives: staff are extra-ordinarily smiley and attentive.
Lovely gardens, if a bit smaller than expected.
Quiet and peaceful.
Very nice breakfasts and evening meals.
Mr Pom arranged our train and bus tickets for us.
Very kind and attentive when they knew my girlfriend was feeling unwell.
Close to a good mall for a spot of shopping, cinema or dining.

Slight negatives: sub-urban setting
No welcome booklet in the room to let us know the services and so on without having to ask. I quite like browsing through those things on arrival.

Room Tip: All seem pretty good. At least one has a small kitchen.
1 Thank Alex B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed here in the honeymoon suite during mid December for 5 nights and from the moment we arrived we were made to feel like one of the family.
Sure, the hotel is a little out of the way of the town (20 minutes) but for us this is not a problem as we take day trips regularly and Mr Pom (the hotel driver) is very friendly and speaks great English. We took regular trips to town for dinner and were always met with a smile when we can back by the security guard who takes you back to your room.
The food here was great and very reasonably priced, along with drinks.
Breakfast and dinner out on the veranda over looking the pond is idyllic.
The resort is well put together and very clean. We will definately stay here again if we come back to Chiang Mai and will recommend to all.

1 Thank Saracoles2001
Huizen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Me and a friend have been touring SE Asia, our last stop being Chiang mai and our stay at the Oriental Siam Resort for our last 4 nights in Thailand, was a wonderful ending to our tour. We needed a rest and some peace and quiet and we got that and more. The resort is beautiful, charming villas in a tropical garden, in a quite environment. That was perfect for us as we had had enough of the hassle of trekking around busy city centres.
Our Villa, Leelawadee Villa, had a large bathroom with a bath tub and separate shower. There was also a lovely terraced area at the front and a nice relaxing terrace corner at the back as well
There is a satellite TV and video but we did not need it as we prefer to enjoyed nature and being outside in the lovely garden and swimmingpool,
Every morning we had an enjoyable breakfast at the restaurant overlooking the pond and we were well looked after by the helpful restaurant staff.
Everyone was so friendly, we felt we were a part of the family.
The next time we go to Thailand we will certainly visit this resort again.

Room Tip: Been shown around in the resort and to me all rooms look excellent! Would be hard to pick one of the...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends