“Great hotel and great service”

Oriental Siam Resort
Ranked #50 of 388 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The hotel provided us with a driver who was extremely helpful. He got us to the temple early enough in the morning so that we avoided the crowds and traffic. He also assisted me when I went to the hospital and waited outside while I had my appt.

As for the room, it was spacious and very nice. We each got our own lodge which was actually too much for one person. Very nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mikelboe
There are newer reviews for Oriental Siam Resort

Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights here and had a lovely and relaxing time. The staff couldn't have been nicer and the lady that owns it was very concerned that we had a lovely time, making sure we were well looked after and had everything we needed. The grounds are very pretty and well kept and the room was comfortable.
We were offered a driver for excursions who was excellent - one slight downside was the tours offered - we went on an elephant tour to Maetaeng Elephant Park and I would recommend anyone to book a different tour as this was not good.
I would urge the hotel to offer a different trip as it didn't do the overall hotel experience justice. When we told the owner of the hotel our view of the tour she was quite upset and went out of her way to make it up to us....so perhaps the tour feedback hasn't been negative before.
So, if you're looking for somewhere low key, beautiful and just outside Chiangmai to spend a few days relaxing....choose here!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank james c
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We spent 4 nights at this family owned and operated boutique small hotel. Located outside of the city, it is a quiet oasis set in lush well tended gardens. Villa style rooms were large and comfortable and hot and cold breakfasts made to order served on your porch or in the communal area were a great start to the day. Being outside the city car/taxi service is needed to get to town easily arranged at the hotel and very reasonable. If you are not going into town for dinner, there is a good restaurant nearby that is owned by another family member, a short drive away (which they will provide) or walk. Pongsri, her husband and staff were all so helpful with activities and welcomed us like we were family. Highly recommended for a more quiet and homey experience for your stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hotyogaval
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I loved this hotel. It was one of the necest in terms of service and food and accomodations in all the places in Thailand. The people are absolutely great and I would stay here again.

There are two reasons this place does not get five stars. The first is the location. It was difficult getting back to this place from town even with the maps they gave us. We usually made it back (don't take a Tuk-tuk) and it was always a great experience, but it was hard at times. Also costs a lot to get there from town. We paid between 350-450 baht to get back and about 200 to get there. This was a little more than you will pay elsewhere.

The other reason is because we had a bad cab driver leaving. I had let my gaurd down the first day because of how friendly the people were (100% my fault) and asked to get food before we went to a tailor in the city. The tailor was highly reccomended and I knew where I was going.... When we arrived to the place for lunch, which was on the other side of town, and the driver said he would wait. I thought this was nice, and he showed me the outside of some shops, but again, I thought nothing of it. Once we were done with lunch I directed him to the tailor and he said we needed to stop at one of the 'silk factories' right outside of where we ate lunch. I said no and to take us to where WE agreed on before. He ended up taking us there, but the price changed from 200 baht to 600 baht. I told him to call the hotel and see what happened and why the price changed. The explaination was because he 'waited for us.' Regarless, we ended up paying the 200 and he brought us to the shop I asked for. I have a great review for the tailor and I am happy I was thinking on my feet when I said no to the silk factory. Here is the kicker: this guy called the tailor 30 minutes later and demanded a commision which they refused to pay.

Positives:

Great breakfast, coffee when I asked for some (was good too!), room service was great; had my clothes washed and they called several people for a tour I wanted, and brought more fruit at breakfast!

Reccomendations for Chiang Mai:

Patara Elephant Farm and A lot of Thai cooking class. BOOK EARLY!!

Room Tip: Great Breakfast, great serive, location is out of the way
3  Thank Giro S
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Just about to leave the Oriental Siam after staying 3 very p,wasabi nights/days
In this place.

All the staff including the owner/manager "Pongsri" as well as the other staff "Top" just
And driver "Mr Pom" have been extremely nice and helpful.

The quality of the room is great. As previous reviews said not 5 star but it is not trying to be.
The food is good not a huge selection but what you get is very nice. Had the Tom yam goon
Soup and in my opinion as good as I had anywhere else.

I will definitely return here with my husband later in the year.
The people who previously didn't like it probably should have their expectations checked
and check into a large resort.

For what it is and where it is it's excellent.
Thanks to the staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jaws550402
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Hotel is small but beautifully created...cool and calm. The owners ( couple) are very kind and lovely people. They take care of every guest personally. Peter (owner) personally takes care of the garden. Breakfast is good and made to match your taste buds. Only a little negative about this property is that its at 15 minutes drive from the night bazar & downtown. Otherwise everything is perfect. Good for couples & family. All staff are very helpful and smiling.

Room Tip: all rooms are good
1  Thank Hotelanalyser
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is a very nice place with particularly nice staff.

We really enjoyed our stay over Christmas 2013. It is not a 5 star resort and was surprisingly compact on arrival, but once you relax into it it feels plenty spacious enough. The owner and staff are very nice and helped us a lot while we stayed. You can have a masseuse come to you room to give a very good massage. They sorted train and bus tickets for us. Picked us up from the airport.

Positives: staff are extra-ordinarily smiley and attentive.
Lovely gardens, if a bit smaller than expected.
Quiet and peaceful.
Very nice breakfasts and evening meals.
Mr Pom arranged our train and bus tickets for us.
Very kind and attentive when they knew my girlfriend was feeling unwell.
Close to a good mall for a spot of shopping, cinema or dining.

Slight negatives: sub-urban setting
No welcome booklet in the room to let us know the services and so on without having to ask. I quite like browsing through those things on arrival.

Room Tip: All seem pretty good. At least one has a small kitchen.
1  Thank Alex B