“Always Delivers”

Sripoom House I
Sripoom House I
Ranked #329 of 788 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Great place to stay that always delivers. Located in Soi1 inside the moat, this guest house is within close proximity to all the major attractions in Chiang Mai. It is far enough away from the rabble but still has some nice little bars that are less likely to be of the "girlie" nature. The rooms are big and always clean. They are equipped with cable TV, refrigerator, great bed, air-con and hot water shower. Everything you really need at a really good price with trustworthy honest owners. Recommended highly.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank PhnomPenhVern

Reviewed 1 December 2012

I usually stay around the corner at Tri Gong Guesthouse but it was full during Loy Krathong. Sripoom House 1 was slightly less expensive than Tri Gong and the rooms were almost as nice.

The best parts were: good mattress, small balcony off room and bigger balcony in front (shared hallway), nice staff. The room was clean, the towels oversized, and location excellent. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank paulacorno
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We can not agree with most of the reviews considering the bad experience that we had. We can not recommend this place at all.Sripoom House I, lives on an old reputation, there are better alternatives within the same area.We have booked this place after reading the reviews which so far were good. We were perhaps out of luck but we want to share the bad experience we had at this place.
The room was not available before 5 p.m. it was supposed to be as from 2 p.m. We just had been on a night bus journey and really were expecting to have our room in due time. The lady at reception did not understand any english. She had to call the owners to come back. The owners were out of the guesthouse most of the time during our stay. We were given a 'kind' of room which used be the old massage room. We understood that the room we were supposed to have was still occupied by another guest. I think they tend to practice the overbooking.We saw a client who booked quite a long time ago being requested to sleep somewhere else for 1 night. I think that this guesthouse lives on its reputation and does not make any further efforts.We have rented the owner's scooter for one day. It has been a nigthmare since it looked that it had not been serviced for some time. First of all I was asked to put some pressure in one of the tyres (I quickly understood why... as it already had a start of a puncture). The brakes have seen better days. We ran out of motor oil. So said, we had to walk quite a distance and pushed the bike to a garage. One does not like to be in charge of servicing a rented scooter. When I mentioned this later on, the owner made a joke which we did not appreciate at all: "Some walking is very good for your health".... It took us alltogether more than 2,5 hours to get it sorted out. We have been reimbursed of the repair expenses which is fair, considering our negative 'room experience' and the one with scooter we would have expected to have the rental cost reimbursed also but this was not the case.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2012

This place caters to folks who are doing extended stays. If you're expecting Western-style service, you're going to be underwhelmed. I liked my room, a top-floor double with a small patio and view, but the service was erratic at best. Sometimes they forgot to come in to give me water and they never made the bed or changed the towels. The owners were generally nice, but their English wasn't that good and I had a hard time getting some simple questions answered (I ended up going over to the Funky Monkey quite a bit). I don't think I'd recommend this place if it's your first time in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank IndependentTravelGuy
Reviewed 30 October 2011

my wife and i have stayed at sripoom house 5 times in the last 3 years and find it to be the best value accomondation in chiang mai.we have stayed in many places and for value for money its number one.the rooms and facilities are comparable if not better than some of the big expensive hotels.the rooms are big clean and nicely furnished,the aircon works perfectly,plenty of english language channels on the tv,fridge and great location-very close to thapae gate and the walking market.the staff are always polite and helpful.we love this place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gaewtaa
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This is a backpacker dream, it is basic no frills you get what you pay for but spotlessly clean and the family who run it are soooooooooooo friendly. We stayed there 4 nights after leaving our original guest house down the road as it wasn't very clean.

They offer a TV, fridge, AC and hot water in the room. There is an electronic gate for security after 11pm. And there was wifi available in the rooms and the location is pretty good.

But really the couple who run it are what made the stay so nice, they would offer us fruit when they were having it or tea and coffee. They had great local information and always ready to chat without being annoying or intrusive.

I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rosie_D53
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I stumbled upon Sripoom House (At intersection of Moon Mueng Soi 8 & Sripoom Soi 1) by accident after checking out other properties in the area. This guest house delivers for less than the competition. Security gate with keycard access to rooms area, hot water, aircon, minifridge, free wifi in rooms and lobby, satellite TV with many English language channels, and small balcony.

The pleasure of staying here is in the details with clean white sheets and towels, wood furnishings of night stand, bureau and writing desk, a work lamp, well-lit bathroom, multiple power points, free coffee, and a solid construction to give you privacy from neighbors and also make any roosters in the vicinity a faint noise. While a firm mattress, it is soft enough to fall asleep in any position.

High season rates Oct-March: 500 & 600B/night 12,000/month.
Low season April-Sept: 450 & 550B/night 10,000/month.
The corner rooms are the more expensive of the two room types because of additional windows, some overlooking Doi Suthep and surrounding mountains.
Multiple day bookings can save you 50-150B/night. Just ask reception.
Example: I paid 400B/night for corner room in Sept. '11 for paying for 4 nights upfront.

• Stayed: September 2011