“Very good value”

Ranked #428 of 755 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Very good value”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed here with my wife for 2 weeks in February. The value for this place was really good. There are quite a few guest houses in the area, but it was really nice to be so close to everything happening. The night bazaar was only a 5-10 minute walk from here. Someone wrote that the place was quiet, at night time it seemed to be. A rooster will wake you up in the morning. You get used to it. Overall a very good stay in Chiang Mai.

Tips:
If you get tired of eating out, the communal kitchen was great to go cook eggs and cut up some fruit for breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brady N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
England
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed one month, so discount daily rate was fair. Cleanliness left a lot to be desired. Service poor and linen / towels changed only once a week (often needing reminders). Not good enough.
The place is run down. Little or no routine maintenance since new 8 years ago. (stayed then and it was smart and well run).
The electronic access gate at the foot of the stairs is a potential disaster waiting to happen. Just pray there isn't a fire - it's the only way out and it's locked at night.
You have been warned.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank jimjamjim
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at Sripoom House for 5 nights in the beginning of November. The location and prices are perfect! The owner is nice and friendly. Chose this place because they are pets friendly and allowed us to stay with our cat :) The bed was comfortable, we slept very well (very quiet place in spite of central location), cool night hang out at the balcony. Maybe just bathroom could be a little bit bigger...
Will recommend this guest house for everyone who needs to stay in the center for several days and wants to save some money on accommodation.

Room Tip: Better choose the corner room, it's a little more expensive but bigger and with nice balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TatianaKolotushkina
Robina, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Great place to stay that always delivers. Located in Soi1 inside the moat, this guest house is within close proximity to all the major attractions in Chiang Mai. It is far enough away from the rabble but still has some nice little bars that are less likely to be of the "girlie" nature. The rooms are big and always clean. They are equipped with cable TV, refrigerator, great bed, air-con and hot water shower. Everything you really need at a really good price with trustworthy honest owners. Recommended highly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank PhnomPenhVern
Pai, Thailand
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I usually stay around the corner at Tri Gong Guesthouse but it was full during Loy Krathong. Sripoom House 1 was slightly less expensive than Tri Gong and the rooms were almost as nice.

The best parts were: good mattress, small balcony off room and bigger balcony in front (shared hallway), nice staff. The room was clean, the towels oversized, and location excellent. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank paulacorno
bassilly
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We can not agree with most of the reviews considering the bad experience that we had. We can not recommend this place at all.Sripoom House I, lives on an old reputation, there are better alternatives within the same area.We have booked this place after reading the reviews which so far were good. We were perhaps out of luck but we want to share the bad experience we had at this place.
The room was not available before 5 p.m. it was supposed to be as from 2 p.m. We just had been on a night bus journey and really were expecting to have our room in due time. The lady at reception did not understand any english. She had to call the owners to come back. The owners were out of the guesthouse most of the time during our stay. We were given a 'kind' of room which used be the old massage room. We understood that the room we were supposed to have was still occupied by another guest. I think they tend to practice the overbooking.We saw a client who booked quite a long time ago being requested to sleep somewhere else for 1 night. I think that this guesthouse lives on its reputation and does not make any further efforts.We have rented the owner's scooter for one day. It has been a nigthmare since it looked that it had not been serviced for some time. First of all I was asked to put some pressure in one of the tyres (I quickly understood why... as it already had a start of a puncture). The brakes have seen better days. We ran out of motor oil. So said, we had to walk quite a distance and pushed the bike to a garage. One does not like to be in charge of servicing a rented scooter. When I mentioned this later on, the owner made a joke which we did not appreciate at all: "Some walking is very good for your health".... It took us alltogether more than 2,5 hours to get it sorted out. We have been reimbursed of the repair expenses which is fair, considering our negative 'room experience' and the one with scooter we would have expected to have the rental cost reimbursed also but this was not the case.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 January 2012

This place caters to folks who are doing extended stays. If you're expecting Western-style service, you're going to be underwhelmed. I liked my room, a top-floor double with a small patio and view, but the service was erratic at best. Sometimes they forgot to come in to give me water and they never made the bed or changed the towels. The owners were generally nice, but their English wasn't that good and I had a hard time getting some simple questions answered (I ended up going over to the Funky Monkey quite a bit). I don't think I'd recommend this place if it's your first time in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo