“feel like home”

Ranked #37 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Saint Louis, Missouri
“feel like home”
Reviewed 28 April 2011

A place that feel like home. My first time in Chiang Mai is a very good time with our temporary guide, a oldest son of the owner of the hotel. He is very friendly at the first time we met. We went there for three days and the weather was so bad. its raining all day long so we have to change our program while we there. But it's just only the weather that was bad the rest is good, especially their service. Not only the service that was good. their restaurant, their room, and their location were good too. My favorite food when I stay is the sticky rice with fried pork. So I am highly recommended if you wan a place that "feel like home"

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank ploisongsaeng

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 16 April 2011

We were at Chiang Mai during April 11-13. We were quickly greeted by youngest son of the family who owns the hotel once we were out of the baggage claim (airport pickup was free). The conversation in the ride to the hotel was very friendly, and full of tips of how to best spend our time in Chiang Mai.

Once we got to the hotel, his mother greeted us with equal friendliness and helped us plan our schedules for the stay. She made a great recommendation to do a whole day tour to do elephant riding, bamboo rafting, trekking and visiting the hill tribes (if you do stay there, make sure you do this tour too!). She made us the booking for the next day. The tour turned out to be awesome and we enjoyed it very much, and we were most unlikely to be able to find this tour group by ourselves without their help.

During the stay, the entire family looked after us very well. Their middle son was so friendly and charming, and offered to give us rides everywhere - to the "song taew" bus stop to go to Doi Suthep, to go into the moat area to play Songkran etc.

The hotel itself is actually two houses, and between them, there are 3 suites and 2 rooms. They were built with golden teak wood in a traditional Lanna style - very charming. Our suite was very spacious, clean and we were happy with our room. The fact that it was actually a house made the stay felt even more comfortable and friendlier.

And the food was soooo delicious! Out of all the restaurants we went to in Chiang Mai, we enjoyed thier food the best! They do offer a variety of Thai, and Northern food dishes, and most of the dishes impressed us. In hindsight, I regret going out of our way to check out restaurants in Chiang Mai for some of our lunches and dinners, most of which turned out to be disappointing. And I also must say that I am Thai (I was traveling with my foreigner friends) and was raised in a family of people who love food and cooking with passion, so I do know my Thai food.

A little downside to this hotel is that it's quite out of the way and is in a residential area. This was compensated with the fact that the hotel gives us free transportation everywhere within reason, not just to and from the airport. But with that being said, if you decide to stay at this hotel, do plan your days well so that you don't have to come back and forth to the hotel too often during the day. It wasn't a big deal for us, since the family were so nice to take us to out with their hotel and personal cars anyway.

All in all, the service was what impressed us the most. When our trip ended, and we left Chiang Mai on the first flight to Bangkok, they've arranged us a car to leave for the airport at 5.15am, and one of sons of the family was ever so nice to wake up to see us off at 5am instead of letting their staff do their thing for us. And to finish off the touches, our free breakfast was neatly packed in a bag for us to take to the airport. As groggy as I was at 5am that morning, I remember thinking to myself that although I have been to many 5 star hotels, the service at Ruen Come In had surpassed all of my expectations.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank AmyEam
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Stayed for 9 nights. On previous trips to Chiang Mai we have been more centrally located but wanted to be out of the hustle & bussle of the city this time. The residence is beautiful and sits in a lovely garden across the road from Wat Jed Yot. Location wise, yes, it is out of town ( that's the whole point ), but hardly a problem when you can pick up a tuk-tuk or sawngthaew to get into the city in no time at all.
The owners are wonderful, very attentive and helpful in anything you may need to know or do.
We had breakfast each morning in the garden, good choice of food all freshly cooked and more than enough to set you up for the day.
The restaurant in the evening is an experience, the garden is lit with lanterns that really show the beauty of the teak built building, and the food is superb. The specialities are Northern Thai dishes.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and have no hesitation in recommending that you do the same.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul4Mouse
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2011

This is a home away from home... A little paradise in Chiang Mai.. I enjoyed my stay here.. The owners make you feel so welcome and do everything they can to make sure you enjoy your stay in Thailand and at their motel.. They really make you feel like family, it's really the best place to stay in Chiang Mai..

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland, OR
Reviewed 10 January 2011

After spending three weeks traveling in Thailand the highlight was my visit to Chiang Mai and I really do believe that staying at the Ruen Come In played a part. We were greeted warmly at the airport (although the driver thought we were on a different airline so it took about fifteen minutes for him to find us) and driven to our beautiful accommodations. The grounds are very attractive but the you cannot fail to appreciate the teakwood mansion that dominates the compound.

Our suite was large, comfortable and extremely clean (your feet might squeak on the wood floors they are so highly polished). The furnishings are very nice although the duvet is a little reminiscent of something my grandmother had on her bed since the 70s. However, each room has its own air conditioning to supplement the numerous windows when it gets too warms.

Others have noted that it is a little out-of-the-way and it is but seeing the old city at night with its crowds and the noise I would rather stay here. They will provide transportation although it is a little more expensive than a tuk-tuk but probably on par with taking a taxi. There is a gas station across the street/alley which has a decent convenience store for snacks and drinks and the room has a largish mini-fridge so stock up there.

The restaurant is very good, I think of the six nights we stayed we ate there three times and every meal way excellent. They do a wonderful deep-fried fish with fried garlic on top, I high recommend it! Breakfast was a little eclectic and they served us a slightly unusual version of a continental breakfast (which was still good and way too large) until we requested a Thai breakfast which was equally large but even better.

The owners are very sweet and extremely attentive. There was alway someone around to answer our questions or to help out if needed. I even got some good honest shopping advice (I wanted to buy some jewelry for my sisters) without any concern about the typical tourist kickback deals.

It was an incredibly nice stay, much like staying with family. I really couldn't ask for more and expect that I will be staying with them again when I return to Thailand.

* The Rosewood Deluxe rooms were being completed during our stay. They are very nice but probably half the size of the suites and a third the size of the grand suites. It's worth the upgrade to a suite unless you're traveling alone or are a couple. There were three of us in the Ruen Come Suite and it was very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank vulferius
San Francisco
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Ruen Come In is a true Lanna-style B&B. It's a complex of buildings surrounded with tropical foliage and spaces that are open to the outdoors. The staff is the most accomodating of any I've ever experienced. Most of the staff -- if not all -- live on-site, so you'll begin to feel like family.

Likes:
-Immersive Lanna lifestyle
-Large rooms
-Very accomodating staff
-Free Wi-Fi
-Included breakfast that can be customized to your tastes

Disslikes:
-Location is very challenging and there is nothing of interest in the immediate vicinity
-Rooms do not have locks
-Couldn't find a truly comfortable lounge space for reading

Overall, I was very pleased with Ruen Come In because it immerses you into a Lanna lifestyle. That said, my biggest gripe was that I, personally, had a hard time lounging at the hotel because I couldn't find comfortable seating in or out of our room; the surfaces outside were all very hard and straight-backed while inside suffered from the same in addition to poor lighting. The TV contained almost no English channels, there wasn't a radio in the room, and I mistook the pictured fish pond on the web site for a pool (my mistake). These aren't faults of the hotel, but rather my own personal preferences. The staff at Ruen Come In have done everything they can to ensure a homey Lanna experience, but I think it's important for potential guests to understand that there are some Western frills that don't jive with the Lanna style. I thank them wholeheartedly for making our stay enjoyable and for welcoming us into their home.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brad A
Huencome, Owner at Ruen Come In, responded to this review, 15 January 2011
Dear Brad2k,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your review, and wish you a happy new year in 2011!We are really appreciate that you write a good review about us, however there is something that I would like to clarify, so that other readers understand more about us.

1. There are locks to every room at Ruen Come In, there is however one room (the Ruen Come Suite) where the keyhole is at the bottom of the door, so guest may overlook it. We apologise for not showing you around on this.

2. We have cable TV, so there are many foreign language TV programs, english (a few channels), japanese (NHK world), chinese (CCTV), korean (Arirang). Again we are sorry for not showing you the channel, we will improve by printing out the program list and put it in guest rooms.

3. Regarding location, it is true that even though we are in Chiang Mai city, we are not in the middle of old city wall (inside the old moat), guests have to catch taxi in front of the street to get inside the old city or use our transport, however we are close to something else. The Nimmanhemin road, where many young locals and foreigners hang out is only 5 min by car and 15 min walk (though walking is a bit rough as the road is too wide, car driving at high speed). The Wat Jed Yod and Chiang Mai National Musuem is just opposite the road, so 5 min walk).

4. We will improve on the lighting and more comfortable lounge. On the time of your arrival I guess we were actually building new rooms and a new lobby, which is now finished. This section is now opened. We will make sure to add in comfortable seating for guests in the future.

I hope that my reply help and thank you very much for your review so that we understand more about your needs and we will try our best to improve on the point that we can do.

Best Regards,

Owner-Management Team,
Virginia
Reviewed 31 December 2010

A fabulous small hotel (almost like a B & B--just exquisite). Food is the best around Chiang Mai. Nid, the owner, is an award-winning Thai chef in addition to innkeeper. She can also show you around. The rooms are large with beautiful appointments--Thai antiques, and wonderful celadon pieces, especially the elephants. Located near the Center of Chiang Mai but requires a car, tuk-tuk or other form of transit to get back and forth. Nid can make recommendations for, or arrange, anything you would like.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple