“Perfectly located yet quiet and elegant”
Review of De Naga Hotel

De Naga Hotel
Ranked #32 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I find this boutique hotel affordable, perfectly located yet quiet. The hotel's decor is elegant and not under or over done. Breakfast is fantastic especially the home made jams and pastry. The pool is small but sufficient to cool you down if you are too hot from walking. I rented a car and surprised to find it has ample car parking spaces. Staff are very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 August 2011

I booked at the De Naga based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. When I arrived, they said they had upgraded me as I was staying long term (5 nights). This was a great start to my holiday. The De Naga is in an excellent location within walking distance of many shops and restaurants and the Sunday market. The staff were very friendly and helpful in writing out destinations in Thai to give to the tuk tuk drivers. However the bathroom was badly designed, with the shower over the bath, and despite trying the shower curtain inside and then outside the bath, every shower resulted in a flood on the floor, which then required using all the towels to mop it up. One morning it even seeped through the wall onto the wooden floor of the bedroom. Also take note that the shower curtain is on a rail which only balances between two walls and the slightest tug on it will bring the whole thing collapsing down on your head. This seems to be quite common in Thai hotels.

I had used the slippers provided during the 5 days I was there, so naturally put them in my luggage to take home. When they were checking my room as I was about to check out, the receptionist said in a loud voice "Have you taken the slippers?" I replied yes, as I had worn them. She said that doesn't matter as they reuse them. I said that she had never said I couldn't take them when she initially showed me the room, nor was there any sign in the room saying that the slippers were not complimentary. She admitted she had forgotten to tell me. She said I had the choice of paying 250THB (similar slippers are available in the markets for 50THB), or unlocking my luggage on the floor of the croweded lobby and giving them to her. She got her slippers, and I lost a lot of face.

If you decide to stay at the De Naga, here are some guidelines:
* Have a bath not a shower.
* Don't have two people in the room, as the second person will have to cope with a flooded floor and no clean towels.
* Don't tug on the shower curtain.
* Don't wear the slippers (others have used them before you).
* Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE THE SLIPPERS.

Room Tip: The longer you stay, the more likely you are to get an upgrade.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank TravelbugVietnam
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at De Naga for 4 nights and found it very comfortable, clean and a convenient location. The staff are amazingly accomadating and ready to assist in any way possible. The breakfast we preferred was the American breakfast made to order and delivered to our room included in the rate. This is perfect for a couple who prefer a slow start. We look forward to our next visit to Chiang Mai and will return to De Naga Hotel. The pool is more like a wading pool with a small resting area but does the trick when you wish to cool down.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

After spending 5 or so weeks backpacking through Vietnam and Laos, staying in budget accommodation, we arrived in Chiang Mai looking to splurge on a few days of extreme comfort. Carrying our packs, we wandered into the old city area and started the search for just the right place.
De Naga appeared only as a small sign at a driveway. We were so glad we took the time to investigate further, for at the end of the driveway was a very nice looking hotel. The reception staff were happy to show us the rooms they had available and negotiated a price we were happy to pay.
Our room was beautifully decorated with everything perfectly maintained. The bathroom was huge and presented like new.
The standard/ comfort of the rooms is what one would come to De Naga for. The ambiance of the hotel as a whole is serene, while Chiang Mai bustles on, just metres away. The pool is very nice for a cooling dip. Do not expect a big resort style pool or lovely views from your bedroom window and you will be sure to be impressed by this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I enjoyed my stay at De Naga very much. The friendly and efficient young staff was by far the best feature. The rooms and beautifully decorated in Lanna style, lovely use of Teak and natural materials. While the location is quite close to the moat and the busy TaePae gate, the hotel is tucked away just off the main road, enough to ensure peace and quiet at night with all the nightlife you could want within easy reach. Lovely little pool.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2011

There are plenty of other reviews saying how great this hotel is, and they're right. This is the second time I've stayed here, and I'll be back. There are a few tiny niggles that makes the places less than perfect:

* At breakfast one day they'd run out of tomato sauce. That's pretty unforgivable, given that there are two 7-11s within a couple of minutes' walk. Another day they had run out of two of the six types of jam they offer.
* They weren't very good at spotting that you'd finished your coffee at breakfast. Each time I had to ask for more coffee.
* They only provide one piece of soap in the bathrooms. (I like to have one for the sink and one for the shower.)
* They won't call for a regular taxi to take you to the airport. You have to use a particular travel firm which then provides a minivan at more than twice the cost of an airport taxi.

I'd also add that because the hotel is pretty cheap by western standards some of the guests look a little out of place. In fact, they look as if they'd be more at home in a bar in Pattaya or behind bars at Her Majesty's Pleasure than in a boutique hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ayutthaya_guy
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 days as part of our honeymoon throughout Thailand. The rooms were very clean and the staff was more than helpful, especially the concierge guy Mr. Thee. He made great recommendations for activities and thoroughly helped me understand the map. Even the cleaning staff didn't let you pass without a smile and a greeting. The breakfast was mediocre as far as variety goes, however they did have some great homemade jams and fresh fruit juices. The pool was more like a over sized hot tub, they probably should have just left it without a pool rather than opening the door for criticism. However, Chiang Mai is a city where you should be out and about, not at your hotel pool.

The location of this hotel is phenomenal. It is located right in Old Chiang Mai (the city center) and you're a short motorbike ride to the all the happening spots and attractions. You can even walk to the temples in the inner square as well as walk to restaurants and bars in the area.

The rooms were as clean as could be. I saw them clean the room once and it was like a team of 3 people so they are very thorough. The hotel was tastefully decorated with modern Thai decor and it gave you a real Thailand feel rather then big chain hotels.

To sum it up, I would recommend this hotel for anyone who is active and needs a place to stay in Chiang Mai, but not for people who just want to relax poolside. Thank you De Naga for a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple