This was our first trip to Thailand. My wife and I are Americans in our 50's and spent 5 days in late January 2013 at the Conrad Koh Sumui. We travel internationally about once a year, but consider ourselves budget travelers...this is so you can understand our point of view. For the hotel, what you notice immediately is solitude. It's a beautiful property with breath-taking views of the 5 islands off the coast, but the isolation also serves to limit your mobility and choices. The rooms each have a private, wall-shielded pool with a negative edge and spillover. You can sunbathe or swim around in the buff if that's your thing. We generally don't like to eat at resort restaurants, because I can't justify $18 hamburgers, but you will have to eat at one of the restaurants on site unless you catch a taxi to a very limited choice of restaurants 15 minutes away. My wife and I went to Nuch's Green Ta'lay Restaurant in a taxi. Taking into account the 500baht roundtrip for the taxi, the meal was so-so, but fresh. There is a 7-11 convenience store next to the restaurant.
Amenities at the hotel are first class, with excellent customer service. We were provided an hour complementary SPA session due to my Diamond Hilton status. SPA had great massage therapists for the deep tissue massage. My wife and I normally enjoy walking everywhere, but the pathways are generally too steep and narrow to walk. The driveway out of the hotel is a one lane switchback and definitely not for pedestrians. Golf carts are the main form of transport around the property. The Zest restaurant had excellent buffet breakfasts which catered to American, Thai and Japanese tastes. Best meal deal is probably the room-service pizza, which we had delivered to the main pool. The hotel has a chartered boat that makes multiple daily trips to a little island so you can swim around. The water was too murky and devoid of fish for snorkeling, but there was a beach with some shade and the boat provided bottled water, towels, straw mats and snorkel gear if needed. If you want to see fish, bring some bread down to the end of the floating pier back at the Conrad.
We were in room 222. The Conrad single rooms are large, finished with dark wood. I think that is why shoes are supposed to be removed at the front entrance. Someone had dragged luggage on our floor, marring it. The Toto toilet had the electric toilet seat and there was a large rain shower head in the two-person sized marbled shower. The 42" LCD TV is on an articulating arm for watching from the super comfortable bed. We had problems with the Bose 2.1 audio system, so we just disconnected it. The mini bar fridge doesn't leave much room to chill anything extra. We moved the Perrier in and out to make room. There was also an iPad, DVD player, board games and Phillips wireless headphones (too much static to use) in the room. The high-speed internet was very fast and reliable. The library near the Zest restaurant also had some paperbacks to read.
Infrastructure issues cause power to be down from 6pm to 8pm, but the Conrad has generators that kick in automatically, so normally you do not notice the switch.
Overall in terms of architecture, views and the private pools, this had to be one of the best hotels we've stayed in. The staff go out of their way to please. If you are looking for a place to get away from it all, this would be fantastic. The meal prices are in line with any other 5-star type resort, as well as the room prices, but if you would rather socialize or have cheaper options for food, it would be better to stay around Chaweng near the airport or the Lamai beach area, where there is a lot more competition for the tourist dollar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conrad Koh Samui is a luxury pool villa resort located on the south western tip of the popular Thai island, designed to ensure each private pool villa enjoys glorious panoramic views of the Gulf of Thailand and its astonishing sunsets. Consisting of 81 private pool villas with one, two or three bedrooms, 3 innovative restaurants, 2 lounges and bars, a private wine cellar and destination dining, the resort provides the individualistic sense of luxury that Conrad has become known for. The award-wining Conrad Spa combines international treatments and Thai spa techniques with distinctive design accents and world-class facilities to delight all of the senses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Expedia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, Agoda, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Conrad Koh Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Conrad Koh Samui Resort And Spa
- Conrad Koh Samui Hotel Koh Samui