“Could not fault this hotel”
Review of Conrad Koh Samui

Conrad Koh Samui
Ranked #23 of 317 Hotels in Ko Samui
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The Conrad is one of the best hotels I have ever had the pleasure of staying in, everything about this hotel was 5 star luxury, from the airport transfer, to the enormous rooms with the spectacular view, to the faultless service.

The rooms are beautifully decorated with a truly rockstar bathroom, along with a large infinity pool, that faces out to a view you will rememeber forever. The villas are cleverly positioned on a hill side so that each are entirely private and secluded. I have read in some reveiws that the buggy system was late/slow, but we didnt experience this issue, and always found them to be very helpful and punctual.

The staff in general were wonderful, very attentive and friendly, and always keen to offer advice for things to see around the island and surrounding area.

We did not do any day trips with the hotel other than the comp. boat shuttle out to Mushroom beach, but I am sure they of a standard that befits this incredible hotel.

The hotel itself is positioned quite a distance away from Chaweng beach and the airport, we thought this was a bonus but if you are interested to see the busier side of Koh Samui, this may prove a little laborious.

I cannot praise the experience enough, it was was a wonderful few days that I often think back to when I am back at home in rainy London!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Allymac7175
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Allymac7175,

We truly appreciate your kind words regarding your stay with us and are happy to hear you had wonderful stay. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again at Conrad Koh Samui.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

As part of my birthday get-away from a frigid winter wonderland, I safely escaped from an ice storm from Washington Area. It was such a bliss being in a warm tropical sunny breeze the entire time of 5 nights/6 days.

Check-In: When I parked a rental car, the car was promptly picked up by valet. Because of the location, guests leave rental car keys at the check-in area. Whenever needed to use, they will bring you to the Arrival Lobby. Check-in was promptly processed. Was informed that the villa was not ready for another 15 minutes or so. Then, while waiting in the Arrival Lounge for about 5 minutes, I was informed that the villa was ready. A buggy service took me down to the Villa. My concierge explained the equipment, TV, and such in the Villa kindly when we got to the villa.

Villa Interior/Exterior:
Villas were constructed on steep cliff with narrow roads. Virtually, walking along the roads to the beach is very difficult (although it is possible). Buggy services are always available upon contacting the operator. Outside the Villa was impeccable as well as inside. A private infiniti pool is very convenient in front of the villa. Private fence was erected from other villas. 3.5 years since the opening, it is almost impeccable. Turndown service was professionally done every evening with the replenishment of water bottles. Any clothes left on the chair or floor were meticulously folded and placed. TV, Bose music system, Apple TV, and an iPad were equipped in my Villa (301- far end). The view could not be better with the Five Islands directly in front!

Dining
I enjoyed breakfast and drinks only. Although the selections may be slightly smaller than other resorts, there were plenty of choices of Thai, Western, pastries, continental options. Individually prepared juice and smoothies are available for your pick. I liked particularly a Thai noodle soup stand for daily breakfast. Upon request, traditional egg dishes can be prepared and served such as Eggs Benedict. Thai Eggs Benedict was particularly interesting.

One thing to note that the Exec Chef, Konrad Inghelram, is running around the dining and kitchen quite often. A very friendly gentleman goes around and asks guests how the dining experience is. I missed an opportunity to dine at the only reservation required restaurant, Jahn. I am sure it would be fantastic. Chef also recommended local Thai restaurants of his choices. I was able to enjoy at one of them. Certainly, a great choice. Very much appreciated, Chef!!!

Location
The resort is located to the southwestern tip of the island. There isn't much hang out place near the resort. Besides, the resort has to be driven over the narrow roads. So, the hotel has guards to inform the other end of the traffic to stop and wait until the roads get clear. In other words, only uphill or downhill traffic is allowed on the access to the road for a safety reason. This is a resort where you truly enjoy a serene tranquil atmosphere where you walk out the front door and look over the moon and the stars. A perfect get away from a city.

The resort has a small very narrow beach (which reminded me of Hilton Seychelles Northlome). Because the beach is not the most useful here, the hotel provides a boat service (2 or 3 times depending on a day) to a private beach on an island. Worthwhile to check out there to get some sun ray.

Check-out
At the Arrival Lobby, a portfolio was verified. There was a minor mistake in the bill, but that was quickly corrected before the final bill.

Overall, it is one of the most premier flag hotels Conrad boasts (Hilton certain does). Overall, the crowd is much younger than other resorts. Appears that many Asian honeymooners come here for 2 to 4 nights. There are only a few family vacationers with kids. Overall very quite upscale resort for relaxation and rejuvenation.

I truly enjoyed the stay there and if I could and would, I would love to return there for even 2 or 3 nights.

Room Tip: 300 series villas have great views of the Five Islands.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SamFairfax_VA

Dear SamFairfax_VA,

I am pleased to hear that you had great stay. I have shared your kind words with the team and to Chef Konrad in particular, they are thrilled. We take great pride in providing exceptional service and we certainly take guest feedback to heart.
Thank you again for staying with us and we are hoping to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Everything about this hotel is stunning. From the spacious bedroom/bathroom, magnificent view from every angle to the junior size lap pool att. to our room, this is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed at. Every staff is friendly, professional and attentive. Conrad brand really train their employee well.
The only thing left to improve is the restaurant. Food is pricy but not out of line in terms of 5 star hotel, the problem is they all taste the same. very much like airplane food, I mean economic class food, not business/first class food. Luckily there's Green Talay restaurant down the road which made our stay complete.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear T91776,

We truly appreciate your kind words regarding your recent stay at Conrad Koh Samui and are happy to hear you and your friends had a wonderful stay. Our team strives to make each guest’s stay special and we only hope you will have the chance to return again in the future.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

If you have stayed in many luxurious hotels around the world and have grown tired or use to the high level of services provided by these other brands, then please try out the Conrad Samui. These guys just knows it! Words won't be able to explain how wonderful and how comfortable they make you feel, not serviced, just like going into someone's home, as cozy and comforting! fine, one little down part but doesn't hurt is the location is a little far.....

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts
Thank Patrick Pui Sue... H

Dear Patrick Pui Sue H,

Thank you for your kind words on your recent stay with us. I am glad you were able to enjoy everything Conrad Koh Samui has to offer, we pride ourselves on delivering great service and I will let my team know they contributed to your wonderful stay.

It would be a joy to welcome you back to Conrad Koh Samui again in the future.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Perfect Getaway

Just came back from our 8 nights stay at the Conrad Koh Samui. Loved it very much. For some this resort could be considered a bit isolated, but before you book it, you should have learned that. We traveled with a 14-month baby, and all we wanted was a place to relax and to avoid the chaos of the big city, or places like Chaweng beach, so Conrad fit us perfectly.

Arrival:

We moved from the InterContinental to Conrad, which is the second leg of our stay during our trip to Koh Samui. Both resorts are located in the Southwest side of the island, and it took about 10 minutes to get to Conrad. While the view at the InterContinental is already great, I found the views at the Conrad more stunning. It’s closer to the five islands. For those of you who love photography, take a photo at the fountain with the five islands as the backdrop, and that’s such a lovely picture. We were the only guests at the Reception when we checked-in, and Conrad did an excellent job of making us feel welcome with cold drink and towels to cool off, and everyone was very warm, gave us the feeling that they were expecting us.

They very quickly gave us the necessary information at check in, and we were on our buggy to our one bedroom oceanview retreat pool villa, which is on the 3rd level. After a brief introduction of the facilities, they completed the in-room check in process. Quick and efficient!

Room:

We had room 314, which has pretty good privacy, relatively easy access to Zest restaurant, and it’s a very easy walk to the Spa. Even though it’s in a tropical region with pretty harsh environment, both the room and the pool are very well maintained. The rooms are stylish, comfortable, with amazing views from the pool, the living area, and the bathroom. The villa is very spacious, and the bed is extremely comfortable. The room comes with ipad, Bose surround sound, and a gamebox.

We love the bathroom, and it’s the size of a typical London/Paris hotel room. There’s a huge tub, and it has double vanity, rainforest shower, although I did note the faucet (American Standards) and shower heads (Toto) are not as smooth as some of the German products used by other high end hotels.

The resort graciously offered us welcome fruit platter, a bag of macaroons, and a bottle of wine, and there was a beautifully presented “towel heart” and flowers on our bed when we arrived. For our baby, they prepared a baby crib, high chair, bath basin, bottle sterilizer, baby soap, etc. This is really beyond our expectation, although I believe if the hotel has high chairs with tables, it would be safer for kids, and when the baby eat, it would be less messy. I communicated that with hotel management during one of the morning chat with hotel management, and they graciously took my feedback.

The pool is bigger than we expected. You could really do laps for exercise and more in it. As the sun was pretty strong after 11am, we did a lot of swim in the morning and in the evening. The view is very good, and we watched some of the most spectacular sunsets at our deck.

Housekeeping was great and they came twice daily. With a baby traveling with us, the room could be disorganized sometimes, but they did an excellent job everyday, very detail oriented and very efficient. Turn down service at night was nice, and they always brought a different type of cookie each night, and our baby loved the Conrad stuffed toy turtle. In fact, our baby learned how to say the word “turtle” during our stay as it became one of his favorite toys. The housekeeping also stock enough bottles of drinking water in the room, so no need for us to buy anything from Familymart or TESCO.

Dining:

Breakfast

As a Hilton HHonors Gold member, our breakfast was complimentary. This is such a great benefit. The breakfast spread is decent, with egg station to make omelet, waffles, or pancakes, and guest can also order from a menu for different types of Eggs Benedict. The specialty coffees were pretty good and there’s no additional charge. They also serve fresh coconut, which we almost had it everyday. The only suggestion is if they could offer more tropical fruit during breakfast, currently there are about four different types of fruit everyday.

Zest and Azure

We ate at Zest and Azure for lunch and dinner a few times. Overall experience was good. Service was quick and professional, and the quality pretty consistent. We met with the Executive Chef, Konrad, a couple of times, and he’s such a nice person to talk to, and he definitely works very hard trying to make guests’ stay more comfortable. On Chinese New Year Eve, he actually asked his team to make a special vegetable soup for our baby. One restaurant we didn’t try was Jahn. We love fine dining, but our baby could be demanding sometimes, we decided to pass it for this trip. Maybe next time.

Room Service

With a baby traveling with us and not wanting to disturb others, we ordered room service for many of our meals. We didn’t want to feed the baby any food with heavy seasoning or spice, and the kitchen could always honor our special request, such as steam the vegetable longer, vegetable that off the menu, no salt, no sauce, etc. Food quality was very good, and the delivery was often quick. Servers were polite and professional. One note on cost, as the baby eats free, our room service bill is often very reasonable, comparable to those restaurants at Chaweng, Bophut, or nearby Green Ta’Lay.

Beach:

There’s only a small beach, and it’s a bit rocky, so better to wear beach/water shoes, which the resort provide. This resort gets a lot of sunshine, and if you want to avoid the sunburn, there are shaded area at the beach. As it’s often windy, it’s pretty cool to relax over there in the afternoon. The Conrad offers a boat trip to a nearby island 3 times a day. We took our baby and went there once. The boat ride could be very bumpy if you sit in front. The island is undeveloped, no restaurant or bathroom. The beach is tiny during high tide, and don’t expect white sandy beach as it's mostly gravel. The only thing I liked was the water is crystal clear, much better than the hotel beach or most beaches we have seen on the main island, where you often see a lot of seaweed and trash.

Buggy:

The transport around resort is very efficient. During Chinese New Year, the resort was running at full capacity, but it never took too long to get a buggy. The longest wait for us was 10 minutes, which only happened once, but most time it’s around 3-5 minutes.

Others:

My wife and I loved the gym and library, where we killed quite a bit time when the baby is at sleep. They were never crowded. I didn’t try the SPA, but my wife did a two and half hour treatment, and she liked it. The resort also offers one free round trip transfer to Chaweng beach for every four nights staying at the resort.

People:

Overall, the staff working at this Conrad are great. Everyone at the restaurant, reception, buggy driver, housekeeping, gym, beach, security, gardener, whenever they met with us, they greet us with the genuine smile. You felt VIP everywhere you went. Special thanks to Ivy, who took extra care of our baby. Met with the GM twice, and he’s willing to listen and always trying to seek for feedback from customers.

Overall:

We really enjoyed our stay at the Conrad Koh Samui. It’s one of our best resorts we have stayed at, and both the hardware and the service receive high marks from us. Highly recommended if you are seeking a place of serenity and yes, I must say it again, it offers the best sunset view on the island.

Below are photos taken using my phone. Hope you like them too.

Room Tip: The rooms on higher levels have better sea view, but they all offer very good views. Rooms on 2nd l...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank AlanTam25

Dear Alan Tam25,

We truly appreciate your kind words regarding your recent stay at Conrad Koh Samui and are happy to hear you had a wonderful stay. Our team strives to make each guest’s stay special and we only hope you will have the chance to return again in the future, it would be a joy to welcome you back to Conrad Koh Samui.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed here towards the end of Jan 2014... it was truly wonderful from start to finish. We generally stay in nice 5 star hotels when we travel, but this one was a cut above all others. The private pool villas have the most fantastic views, and a wonderful infinity pool which we used every day. We never needed to leave our villa, we just sunbathed and relaxed in absolute privacy - perfect for our honeymoon. The bathrooms have huge bathtubs and lovely Aromatherapy Associates toiletries, which I loved.

The service is phenomenal, nothing was too much trouble. I was surprised to hear a few reviews say they had to wait for the buggy service - we ordered the buggy at least twice every day to and from the restaurants for breakfast and dinner. We rarely had to wait more than 5 mins, often they would be there within only a couple of mins!

Things to note - the hotel is quite remote, so it's a good idea to bring a few snacks etc. We often had a really big breakfast and then skipped lunch, so having a few snacks helped. Though room service always leave a little snack every day too - some cookies, or macaroons, or little muffins.

We didn't bother with a car hire, and I'm glad we made that decision in the end. All we wanted to do was relax for most of our honeymoon, so it didn't make sense to hire a car. We booked taxis on the few occasions when we wanted to venture a bit further, and that worked out much cheaper than the car hire cost would have. The hotel car service prices were very expensive, so I'd suggest booking an external car firm - we booked with a tour company Samui Explorer who charged nearly half the price to the airport (850 baht), than what the hotel were charging & were very efficient. It's definitely worth pricing around.

The daily boat tours to a private island are a nice free extra!

This hotel is a little bit of heaven, if I ever get the opportunity again, I'd love to go back. I'd recommend to anyone - you'll certainly not regret booking the Conrad Koh Samui.

Room Tip: We requested a villa with privacy and got one on an end of row - Room 202 I think it was, which had...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pinkpenelope

Dear Pinkpenelope,

It was a delight to read your review - thanks so much for sharing it with us! Sometimes the biggest luxury of all when away from home is to relax in ones hotel room with great hospitality, thus we absolutely love that you did just that. Thank you for sharing your experience.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you both back in the future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed here over Chinese New Year. Had 2 villas adjacent each other on second level. Very close to concierge and restaurant where breakfast was. Excellent views, etc.

Not sure I can say anything additional that it not repetitive of prior reviews. Suffice to say, it was beautiful and service was excellent.

Perhaps logistics might be of interest? On the southwest corner of the island about 45 minutes to an hour away by taxi from the airport. Was able to negotiate 1000 Thai Baht from near airport (beach area adjacent) but otherwise used the hotel airport transfers, which were very efficient. Not much to do nearby or on the island in general. For relaxing. Restaurants nearby were OK. Really liked Green Ta'lay though. Had the hotel shuttle us over to it based on their recommendation and was worth it. Not really anything close to walk to.

Villas have their own pools plus there is a main pool that was relatively empty. Hammocks on the beach and in water were excellent.

I've stayed at Conrads throughout Asia and they are all uniformly excellent. My only disappointment here was the lack of an executive lounge (in contrast to the Conrad Bali for example). That said, was only a minor issue and only relevant if you're diamond or gold.

Would I stay here again? Definitely if I was looking for a relaxing vacation away from it all.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LiangShanBo

Dear LiangShanBo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Conrad Koh Samui experience. It is a joy to read that you and your family have a wonderful stay with us.

Should your travels bring you back this way, I hope that you will stay with us again.