“Paradise on Samui”

Ranked #21 of 317 Hotels in Ko Samui
Bangkok
“Paradise on Samui”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The view and the "Villas" are fantastic. One of the rare hotel rooms, where everything is as it should be, from the lightings control & placement, bathroom layout & amenities, wonderfully comfortable bed, the private pool overlooking the sea.... the professionalism of the house keeping, and all staff make you feel you are really welcome. Not a greeting where they were told to do, but that comes from the heart. We have not felt like this in Thailand for a long long time. The downside is the very small beach, and people afraid of height should be aware as the resort is on the mountain, so quite steep & hilly but this makes the view amazing and probably the best place to watch sunset over some cocktails.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ThecindyBKK
ConradKohSamui, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear ThecindyBKK,

Thank you for your kind words. We're thrilled that you had a wonderful stay and appreciated our beautiful villa, infinity pool and the view. The view never tires for us too - it's gorgeous year-round. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again at Conrad Koh Samui.

With warm regards,
Stefano Ruzza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Zurich
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We have just spent a week at the Conrad Samui. We were looking for a hotel to relax, no night life, just a luxury place to rest. The Conrad was the perfect choice. It is nestled on a hill where you have a great ocean view to the Gulf of Thailand with stunning sunsets. The villas are modern with some thai elements. When we arrived, we have received a warm welcome and a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine was brought to our villa. This was a perfect start after the flight from bangkok. Sitting in your private pool, enjoying the stunning view to the ocean and drinking ice cold sparkling wine. You just have to be very carful not getting sunburned as you don't feel the heat when you spend hours in the pool. The hotel offers a nice breakfast buffet with indoor and outdoor possibilities. The buffet offers all you need for a good start. Fresh fruits, cereals, all different kind of cereals, pastries, meet, asian dishes, etc. In the same restaurant, you can also have dinner in the evening after you have enjoyed the happy hour cocktails next door - also with a great view to see the sun set. There is also another restaurant called "Jahns". We had dinner once, it is more elegant than the other restaurant but has only indoor seating. We have tried out the set Thai Menu which was quite good - but I personally preferred the other restaurant. Eventhough the Conrad is a luxury five star resort, we as men were not required to wear long trousers and could easily go for dinner in nice shorts. We also had two treatments at the SPA which is also very nice and recommendable. In general, the staff were very friendly at all times. There is also a private beach, however, it is rather a small beach adn I have seen nicer ones in the past. However, I preferred to stay anyway in the villa and just enjoy the view, a nice beach is good to have, but not important for us. All in all, it's a fantastic place if you like luxury and we hope to get back to the Conrad soon again.

Room Tip: The hotel offers beach villas and ocean view villas. The beach villas are closer to the beach, but I...
3 Thank Henry S
Midwest
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Five flights and countless hours later, we arrived in Paradise. It was well worth the time and effort. Much has been written about the gorgeous views and the stunning villas, so I will focus on some other aspects of this resort.

Breakfast at Zest:
We arrived at the Conrad Koh Samui before 9:00 a.m. Since we had not notified the hotel of our early arrival, our villa was not ready. The receptionist suggested that we go to Zest for breakfast. The breakfast buffet offers a variety of Western and Asian dishes, plus an omelet station. In addition, one could order egg dishes off the menu. That first morning, I ordered a delicious Thai Eggs Benedict. My favorite breakfast item was the noodle station with glass noodles, minced chicken, pork slices, and vegetables. There are some bowls already prepared with all the ingredients and one simply adds broth and condiments. However, I always prepared my own bowl with my preferred quantity of each item.

Aside for breakfast and the cooking class (more on that later), we did not have any other meals at Zest. Do ask if you don’t see something on the menu or the buffet. If available, the staff will bring it. I had a daily fresh coconut juice and Thai iced tea. Later when I developed a cold, I switched to ginger tea. The Zest staff gladly prepared a box of sliced ginger, lemon wedges, and honey so that I could make ginger tea throughout the day in our villa, which comes with a coffee maker and a hot water heater.

Cooking Class at Zest:
The class occurs daily from 3:00 to 5:00. At booking, we selected one item from each of three categories. We chose a spicy minced chicken salad, a pad Thai, and a curried duck dish. The kitchen staff chopped and assembled each ingredient in advance. All we had to do was throw the ingredients into the pot in the proper sequence. This is definitely a low effort cooking class and I loved it. After all, who wants to cook while on holidays?

After the first two dishes, the chef asked if we wanted to eat before preparing the third dish. We opted to eat. We managed to finish the pad Thai. Since we had no room for the chicken salad and the curried duck, the restaurant staff offered to refrigerate the dishes for us. That night, they delivered the chicken salad to our villa. The following night, they delivered the curried duck. At 2,500 Baht per person, the cooking class was a real bargain because we got three meals out of our efforts. Plus, we got to keep our apron as a souvenir.

Tasting Menu at Jahn:
We had the tasting menu on our last night. At booking, I had mentioned that I wasn’t fond of raw oysters. The restaurant had no problem providing us with a substitute starter. Each dish was well presented and tasty. Service was good and low key. I had worried about the “formal attire” requirement for Jahn, but the hotel said that it was meant to keep out bathing suits, T-shirts, and shorts. Business casual attire was completely appropriate for dinner. As it was our last night, the staff decorated the final dish of petit fours with “Have a Safe Trip” – a very nice touch.

Truffle Dinner at The Cellar:
This dinner was advertised as a Thursday event. We were leaving Thursday morning and I mentioned to Simon, the Director of Operations, that I was sorry to miss this dinner. Not a problem. Simon immediately made a phone call and arranged the dinner for us on a Tuesday night. (Hint: Ask and you will be pleasantly surprised.)

The Cellar is on the cool side and I was glad I brought a light jacket. The Cellar is a small room with bottles of wine on all four walls. As it was a Truffle dinner, every course included truffles. The ceviche of scallops was excellent; however, my favorite course was the artichoke and truffle soup. The risotto with truffles was a bit too al dente. Risotto is difficult to prepare well and The Cellar might consider replacing it with a linguine with truffles – much easier to prepare.

The main course was tournedos with a huge piece of foie gras. The foie gras was excellently prepared, but I found the Madeira sauce on the tournedos to be overwhelming. Others might want to request the sauce on the side. And for once, I was unable to finish dessert, which was followed by a plate of chocolates.

The Cellar dinner was our favorite meal. The setting was an intimate table for six, but we were the only guests. Cha, the sommelier, was an excellent server. She left us alone while we ate, but was available whenever we had a question. At over $100 per person without drinks, I would still rate it a bargain meal for the quality. If you can afford one special meal, The Cellar dinner would be the recommended one. The personalized menu (i.e. with our names) makes for another nice souvenir.

Daily Happy Hour:
Happy Hour takes place at either Azure, the pool bar, or at the Lobby Bar next to Zest. Drinks are “buy one, get one free” during a two-hour period (4:00 to 6:00 at Azure and 5:00 to 7:00 at the Lobby Bar.) In addition to beer, there is a limited choice of cocktails. I much prefer the drinks offered at the Lobby Bar.

At Azure, we had to order two of the exact same drinks to get the second one free. At the Lobby Bar, we simply paid the price of the more expensive of the two different drinks. As I developed a cold halfway through our stay, I enjoyed the Ginger Prosecco – very strong and spicy. I also liked the Vodka watermelon granite, which was very soothing on my throat.

Spa Treatments:
The spa offers specials and I took advantage of the “get the second massage for 50%.” I had a 90-minute massage on arrival day and had the second one two days later. I had the same masseuse the second time because “she already knows your preferences.” I was also in the same treatment room both times – a lovely view with two beds so that couples could get massages at the same time. Each time I requested coconut oil instead of one of the scented massage oils - heavenly and I am now addicted to the lovely smell. Each treatment room includes its own shower and steam room. I spent about 30 minutes in the steam room after my second massage and never felt pressured to vacate the room.

Mosquitos, Ants, and Buggies:
I am allergic to mosquitos and am happy to report that I did not get a single mosquito bite at this resort. I don’t know if the lack of bites is due to the hotel’s spraying process or pure luck.

We encountered very few ants. At arrival, we requested that the hotel empty the mini-bar fridge. The hotel had provided us with a plate of mangos, which we stored in the fridge to prevent ants. After eating each mango, we put the peels in a plastic bag and stored the bag in the fridge until we could dispose of it. If other guests did the same thing, they could avoid ants, also.

The hotel was aware of my love of macarons. Turndown service includes a bag of cookies from the hotel kitchen. I always got a bag of macarons instead and I would put them in the fridge if I didn’t eat them that night. One night I got a plate of macarons covered with plastic wrap. I didn’t put the plate in the fridge and the next morning the ants had gotten through the plastic wrapping. What a waste of delicious macarons! Lesson learned - put all food in the fridge.

The buggies (nothing to do with bugs!) always arrived promptly, usually within five minutes of our call. The driver would ring the doorbell upon arrival. If we had inadvertently left the “do not disturb” light on, the hotel would call to say the buggy was outside our door. With 52 buggies, the service is highly efficient.

Misc.
This hotel is popular with honeymooners and the hotel sprinkles rose petals in a heart-shape on the bed for them. At arrival, I was delighted to see the hotel had spelled out the word “WELCOME” with rose petals for this old married couple.

We did not meet Stefano, the GM, who was away on business. He asked Simon to take care of us, and Simon did an excellent job. My husband delighted in torturing Simon with minor complaints, but Simon always followed through with a smile. In fact, his youthful exuberance is contagious For example, one day my husband decided that the recessed ceiling light was not at the proper angle for reading while sitting on the sofa. Two workmen arrived within five minutes to re-set the light.

The hotel is in an isolated location. However, it offers several activities. The spa has a few complimentary DIY events that I, unfortunately, did not take advantage of. The fitness center offers early morning yoga and Thai boxing classes and mid-afternoon core workout sessions. I only took advantage of a Thai boxing class one morning and wished I had exercised more.

Do ask to see the two-bedroom and the three-bedroom villas. I am already saving my pennies so that I can book a three-bedroom next time.

Finally, do not miss turndown service on your last night. That is when you get your souvenir turtle. This resort is truly perfection in every aspect. All that is missing is a rubber ducky! : )

9 Thank bamboola
Chatsworth, California
Reviewed 28 March 2014

PROS: The resort is absolutely stunning!!!! Set on the side of a cliff overlooking the water, each villa is beautifully decorated, immaculately clean with a private pool & fabulous views. The service could not have been any better, the food was delicious & the "buggy service" was prompt. I enjoyed the spa so much that I went back a second time with my husband! The resort offers free transportation via a boat to a small island for "beach time" which was very nice. There is a small loaner library with a number of books you can borrow, a couple of gift shops & of course a choice of restaurants.

CONS: While the place is stunning, it is NOT a resort you can really just "walk around". While the location is what makes the views so fabulous, being built on the side of a mountain (hill, cliff, whatever you may wish to call it), the only flat parts of the resort are the pool area & a very small beach (which was not great) The buggies are prompt & will take you wherever you want to go on the property but the roadways are not built for walking. Also, the tranquility of the resort is achieved by being located a distance away from anything else. We did rent a car which I highly recommend to anyone wishing to stay here.

Room Tip: All rooms face the water & the "Five Islands"
1 Thank lorrie56
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here on our last night in Koh Samui, after a 10 day trip of staying in sub-par hostels and miscellaneous hotels. We wanted to splurge for our last night, and splurge we did!

Our room was just a one bedroom villa, 200-something. It was absolutely stunning. The bed was super lush and comfy and the villa had a free pillow service so you could pick a different pillow if you wanted to.

We used the walkout pool quite a bit, and the water temperature was perfect. I was a little disappointed the sun only hit our pool at a certain time of the day (I think we missed the prime times) but the hotel can't really help that!

We LOVED the shower, private toilet area, and HUGE oversized tub. We also liked the complimentary fruit, macarons. ice (on-call), shower supplies, and bottled water. We took two cokes and the rum out of the mini bar, and I can't remember exactly how much it was but it was pretty expensive. Next time I would definitely bring my own liquor!

The villas are all on a very windy hilly side of a mountain, so they send golf buggies to move you around every time you want to go somewhere. I could imagine if the power was out this would be frustrating, but we never had that problem and we called them quite a bit! They were always fast to get us.

We ate at two restaurants there, Jahn & Zest. We had the best dinner of our lives at Jahn (though we spent about $200 for apps, entrees, dessert & drinks), and the breakfast was pretty good at Zest (it was included for us).

We also used the beach a bit, which was never crowded. My husband took out the free kayak one day but it was too windy so he didn't go far. Unfortunately the sand under the water is rocky and shell-y, so they provide free water shoes if you want to walk around in the water. They have several nice beds on the beach to just relax in.

The views are absolutely stunning, the food is delicious, and the weather was perfect. I would absolutely visit again.

Things that could have been better: For the price of the room, the mini bar should have been complimentary. Similarly, we paid 800BHT ($26) to get there via taxi (though we had to find someone who would do it for that) and the taxi the hotel sent us back with cost about 1500BHT ($48). I think the taxi from the resort to the airport should have been complimentary as well for the cost of the room.

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing.
Westerham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I was lucky enough to win my Honeymoon at this hotel in BRIDES Magazine! It was the epitome of luxury! I thought that the staff would treat us differently to other 'paying' guests but we could not have been more wrong!
We got a stunning villa on a full board basis and visited the brasserie and fine dining restaurants for dinner. The rooms are stunning and spotless. Mini bar, Movies everything you could want. Staff come to get you on golf buggies no more than 5 minutes after you call, and are always on hand to take you back to your villa after dinner. We used the spa for couples massage which was heavenly. The pool restaurant & bar was great, staff always on hand to replenish your cocktails or see to your needs!
We were there for 6 days, we were offered boat trips etc but it was quite rainy and we just wanted to chill out. We visit Nikki Beach which was also lovely and much cheaper than European ones! Taxi drivers friendly and cheap too, even from the hotel.
Overall this hotel was amazing and would recommend to anyone, and would hopefully go back one day!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 March 2014

As both an avid traveler and a Dubai resident for the past 13 years, I felt that very few places in the world will be able to provide such attentive and high quality service to guests as that found in Dubai's many establishments. I especially didn't expect to find such service on a tiny island off the coast of Thailand. I'm so glad that my expectations were so far from the truth. The Conrad Koh Samui's staff are kind, well informed, and helpful with all things Conrad and Koh Samui. We rented a one bedroom ocean-view villa with a private pool. From cozy full-body hugging king-sized feather-bed to the wonderfully large bathroom (huge jacuzzi-like bathtub, large shower stall, closet area, etc), and from the perfectly cool private-infinity pool to the ocean-view that words cannot describe, the villa is nothing less than comfortable. The only three "not-exactly negative" observations of our stay was that, 1) despite the quality of the food being a solid five-star standard, the variety of the breakfast buffet was quite repetitive by our 4th day there (we stayed for 8 days), and 2) getting around from your villa to anywhere on the hotel grounds requires a call for a golf-cart buggy driver, which really isn't so bad once you get used to it, although we felt strange at the beginning calling for a buggy whenever we wanted to just pass by the pool/beach, head to breakfast, or hit the island on our motorbike or car parked at the main lobby, 3) if you're like us and like to discover your surroundings, the Conrad is at the southern western tip of Koh Samui. That means, if you were to visit Chaweng or Lamai (the pretty active districts for nightlife/beaches/etc), you'd need a 30-45 minutes trip going and coming back. But to be honest, we made the trip almost every day. And despite the distance/time (both on motorcycle and in car), we would not change it for the world. The drive up and down the coasts (east and west) in itself was an experience, stopping at different shops, restaurants, and cultural sites along the way. In the end, the distance to and from the "happening" places was a blessing in disguise, allowing us to take different routes and really explore the beautiful island at our own pace. Oh, and make sure your GPS Map on your smartphone is working. That'll make your life so much easier for the first few days till you start learning your way around the island. Other than the aforementioned observations, this was such an amazing trip. I cannot stress how amazing the Conrad staff are: such well trained, well informed, and kind people, reflecting the best of the already wonderful citizens of Koh Samui. Looking back, if I were to choose between our first choice of "a hotel" in the Maldives or the Conrad Koh Samui, I'd definitely choose the Conrad Koh Samui again.

Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts