“Luxurious Privacy”
Review of Conrad Koh Samui

Conrad Koh Samui
Ranked #24 of 317 Hotels in Ko Samui
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Although our trip was at the very end of August 2013, I still wanted to post a review because we really did love this hotel. I have visited Thailand several times and aside from a visit to Phuket, have loved every place we've gone. This is no exception.

My encounters with the hotel staff pre-arrival were excellent. We were arriving shortly after my husband's 30th birthday and this part of our trip was really celebrating that, so I contacted the hotel to arrange for a birthday surprise. I emailed with Tey, who set up champagne in the room (for which we paid) and offered a free birthday cake as well. They were also great about not putting the charge through ahead of time, as I didn't want to alert my husband to the surprise. They did an amazing job as not only did they set up cake and champagne, but flowers and cookies and treats, in addition to a happy birthday card signed by the staff. My husband was really pleased (although I don't think he realized exactly what it was when we arrived). A belated thank you all, as that was a wonderful surprise!

We arrived at the Koh Samui airport and were picked up by a hotel car - the driver was sweet and friendly, and offered bottled water. The drive felt pretty long, with some windy roads, and the hotel is located up a very large hill, so it really felt like we were going to a hidden hotel (I realize this is a giant chain hotel, but it felt like a secret hideaway!). Once we arrived, the view was stunning - we sat to check in and were offered welcome drinks and towels, and I just gazed at the view. The lobby is perfectly situated on the cliff with views of the islands and sea, and it's really a stunner.

Due to our Diamond Hilton status, we were upgraded to a Oceanview Retreat Pool Villa. It was so fun to take the golf cart to our villa (it felt like a ride) but we were able to walk to the restaurants/beach, although it was definitely exercise. I've been lucky enough to stay in some pretty nice places, and I was DELIGHTED with our room. The views are amazing no matter where your room is, and it really feels like you're the only one there (of course if you look sideways or up, that takes it away, but just stare straight ahead!). One of the most beautiful views I've had from a room. We had a pool (which was a great size, not simply a plunge pool, so you could actually swim in it) along with two tables, a couch, and lounge chairs. It felt very private and although, yes, you can see your neighbors' villas, you couldn't really see them,and we never heard anybody while there. The room itself is huge - large, comfortable bed, couch, and amazing bathroom, with two sinks, large mirrors and lighting, an enormous soaking tub, and a large shower. You can pull back the blinds and relax in the tub while looking out at the view if you prefer. I could happily live in that room!

As to the hotel setting - if you're looking for peace and quiet and privacy, this is your place. There is a pool near the beach, but you don't need it as you have your own, and the beach is not really accessible. I didn't care about the beach since I wanted to soak in the views from our villa, but if you want a beach, this is probably not the place to go (they do have a boat to take you to a separate beach if you'd like; we did not do this). This is the type of place to only leave for food (if you want! room service is the same price as eating at the restaurants). We spent all our days lounging on our terrace and it was simply lovely. I wouldn't recommend coming here if you want nightlife or excitement or loud guests. Everyone was quiet and respectful and it's the perfect place to relax.

We ate breakfast daily at Zest, which had a nice selection of Western and Eastern cuisine. My husband particularly liked the freshly made juices, although they do go fast! There are cats lurking around, although they don't get to close, but be aware of that if you have severe allergies (or just hate cats). We had dinner one night at Jahn; there were only a few couples there, but we did enjoy the food and were glad we tried it, although it's expensive. There are other restaurants you can go to outside the hotel, but you need to take a taxi- we heard great things about some of them but ended up just being lazy and spent 100% of our time at the Conrad.

The downsides? Not many! I can see how spending many days here might get repetitive, but I really enjoy 'disconnecting' (although the wifi was great!) and enjoying privacy. This resort is perfect if you like privacy and whoever you're traveling with, as it would be difficult to meet new people. There were not that many Westerners there, and the staff did have a bit of trouble with English, but I don't expect fluent English. I'm not sure how great a resort it would be for young children (we didn't see any), due to the hilly setting and villa layouts, but I certainly recommend for adults!

Was it expensive? Yes, for Thailand and Asia overall, definitely. The experience is wonderful, though, and if you're looking for luxury, privacy, and a gorgeous, breathtaking setting, this is the perfect place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jessica C
ConradKohSamui, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear Jessica C,

It was a delight to read your review - thanks so much for sharing it with us! Sometimes the biggest luxury of all when away from home is to relax in one’s hotel room with great hospitality, thus we absolutely love that you did just that. Thank you for sharing your experience. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Words cannot describe how picture perfect the Conrad Koh Samui really is - the villas are breathtakingly beautiful and set the standard of luxury that we will forever hold any other hotel to from now on. The staff are so friendly and welcoming, and the food is among the best I've had at any Hilton property. Although quite expensive, perfection and luxury of this caliber often comes at a price, and we cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts
ConradKohSamui, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Jason J,

I can’t thank you enough for your review and am truly elated that you had such a wonderful stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back Conrad Koh Samui again in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel towards the end of our Thailand travels. Our first impression when we arrived at the hotel was just WOW - the view from the reception was just beautiful and immediately reminded us of our holiday in Santorini a few months ago.

The hotel is built on a slope, which makes walking around a bit difficult, but we always used the buggy service which was very fast and reliable. The villas are great - spacious, nicely decorated and the private pool is great for watching the sun set while drinking cocktails.

The beach is not great, but the hotel operates a shuttle service to a nearby island with a proper beach - unfortunately we did not have a chance to try it. The pool is good, great for relaxing and the cocktail selection at the nearby bar is nice.

We only tried one restaurant in the hotel - Jahn - which is their flagship restaurant. The experience was not the best; there is nowhere to sit outside and the restaurant was practically empty when we arrived. The food was nice (we had the tasting menu), but quite pricey for what it was; had much better dining experiences in other places in Thailand. The service was good though.

Overall, the hotel was really nice, with breathtaking views, and villas were just great. We will definitely be coming back. Really enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher level for a better view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matej K

Dear Matej K,

Thank you for your review. We're thrilled that you had a wonderful stay and appreciated our service and facilities. The view never tires for us too - it's gorgeous year-round. It would be a joy to welcome you back to Conrad Koh Samui again in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

By now I've stayed at enough top-end resort properties to tell them apart. This is our 1st visit to Koh Samui and chose Conrad after reviews about the place. This place has all that you could ask for family stays, particularly if you chose the Residences. We had the 2 room villa with a private pool. The several reviews already speak quite well about these descriptions, so I will not repeat the same. This place reminds me of the Bulgari in Bali, although it's more modernistic.

Whilst the villas were well decked out and spacious, I had a great issue with the circular bed - it was not the most comfortable and the pillows slip away from position overnight. Despite this, I'd still give the property a great rating.

Location - Conrad is in the extreme SW corner of the island - it is at least a 45m - 60 m journey from the airport, so bewarned. There's nothing much to see or do, so make your choices carefully - we were contented in doing nothing during our 6 day stay, so the local tourist circuit was irrelevant to us - much preferred to enjoy the peace and comfort of the private villa than shopping or dining out, etc. Indeed, we did dine-in throughout the stay. Breakfast was very good and eco-friendly - non of that factory fast buffet style that you would find in large resort hotels. Of the 6 days, we spend a few hours with a hotel car/driver to explore the local sights, and returned unimpressed. Another morning we took the speedboat ride to nearby islands, which was also unimpressive. We really wanted to spend quality time with children and away from the rat-race of daily life, and we got that.

If you want to get out everyday and do something in this island, stay near the airport. If you want a great escape, romantic or family, this is a great place. A close neighbour in the SW is also the Four Seasons Hotel.

Room Tip: Get upgrades to the upper level villas.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank gul1957
ConradKohSamui, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Gul1957,

We truly appreciate your kind words regarding your recent stay at Conrad Koh Samui and are happy to hear you and your family have a wonderful stay and enjoyed our service and facilities. We only hope you will have the chance to return again in the future, it would be a joy to welcome you back to Conrad Koh Samui.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just returned from 6 nights at the Conrad. Really enjoyed the stay. The rooms are well appointed and the individual infinity pools are great with a fantastic view. Would recommend staying at level 2 as this makes walking to restaurants and pool etc more convenient than other levels. The buggy service provided by the resort to get around is very efficient and needed given the location on the side of a cliff. Staff are exstreamly friendly and helpful. Would recommend booking the hotel car as the cost was only marginally more than taking a taxi from the airport (1,500 vs, 1,100 Baht). Will be back in April next year for a friend’s wedding.

Room Tip: Level 2 rooms/suits more convenient
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PerthHoliday_10
ConradKohSamui, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear PerthHoliday_10,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Conrad Koh Samui experience with us. It’s a joy to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. I and the team are looking forward to welcoming you back, see you in April 2015!

Thank you for choosing Conrad Koh Samui.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Koh Samui has always been my second home. I come here twice a year on holiday and very familiar with all the luxury hotels of the island. My most recent stay at Conrad Koh Samui has surpassed my expectations. Apart from being remote from chaweng and lamai, there isn't much to flaw at the hotel.

We stayed at a 2 bedroom villa, which is one of the most generous on the island. Swimming pool is a full 18m long with 4 sun loungers and has abundant sun from 11am till sunset. And yes! It has the best sunset on the island because of its remoteness. If you check rates at other 5 star properties such as four seasons, banyan tree, or W, you will find Conrad to be cheaper. The villa is on two levels which includes dining / living and kitchen on top and the lower floor has two gigantic bedrooms and bathrooms. The pool is accessible from both bedrooms. The upper floor also has a lawn for cigar smoking or just gazing the stars at night. Also perfect for in villa BBQ.

The facilities include a large main pool and Conrad has since improved on the beach, though rocky it now has nice sandy areas with sun loungers and couple of cabanas for use. Very private too. There are also two hammocks in the sea. Very cute. Gym is excellent and there are 3-4 classes and activities per day including stretching, Thai boxing and yoga. There are 3 main restaurants. All day dining and breakfast at Zest. Woody the executive chef man the place and the food is good. I was told their new Thai menu will include many more authentic choices. Breakfast is good though selection is not as big. Banyan tree still serves the best here, but the quality is excellent, eggs are prepared beautifully any way you like. ( I swear not all hotels can so this. ) azure by the pool serves great pizza but again choices could be greater. Did not eat at jahn the flagship fusion dining this time.

The spa offers spectacular views and I saw they won award for best luxury hotel spa in2013 and 2014. My wife really enjoyed her massage as the pressure is quite strong. I do have to say that the sauna and steam should be left on all day instead of on request as I never had time to wait for the room to heat up... Takes at Least 20 minutes.

This time we brought our 11 month old baby and Conrad has made it such an ease by providing all that we needed in the room. Crib, blanket, potty, bath tub, set of cutlery, bowl, high chair, bottle steriliser..... Even baby slippers! Chef woody also helped us organize fish and veg for our daughter every day. He was most helpful and our baby was well loved by staff and guests! :)

Meantime I must also me mention the hotel's private speedboat which will take guest to the nearby islands for snorkelling and beach picnic. The ride is about 25 minutes away and though it may not be as pretty as Koh tau, it is much closer and an excellent half day excursion for te family. Best of all it is complimentary!!! They also have couple of jet skis for guests, so we easily stayed here all 4 days instead of going out given we travelled with a baby this time.

The staff here are the highlight of the hotel. Stefano and his team run the hotel professionally. Not only does he greet guests in the morning he cares of the hotel and have improved the facilities and activities much since my last visit here 18 months ago. Thank you Stefano, Simon, woody, Mimi, Mai, and many other staff which I may not remember the names. You guys have made this one of the very best holidays for us.

I can now recommend Conrad Koh Samui to anyone who wishes to visit Koh Samui in style. It may be the best Conrad in the world.

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Nelson204

Dear Nelson204,

I can't thank enough for your review. I and the team are delighted that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

Thank you for choosing Conrad Koh Samui.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Admittedly, our stay at the Conrad came off of a string of stays at the Four Seasons, so our expectations where high. The approach to the hotel is stunning—atop a mountain peak with expansive views of the water. The sunsets here are irreplaceable.
After check in you are taken via golf cart to your room… which is a nice trek, although depending on where your room is it can be a little long. There are few trees or extra landscaping and if you have a detail oriented eye you will notice a few areas of wear.
The rooms are visually pleasing, although a bit cold. Not in temperature but in feel. We found the bed hard and most surfaces too firm. It is purposefully designed with ‘clean lines’ in mind, but you may find it a bit too sterile.
Our air conditioning broke during our stay- they did offer us another room, but the thought of repacking and moving was more than we wanted so we just left our fan on.
The service is good, although not great. We had a few communication mix-ups (aka: we ordered a pot of coffee and they brought us coffee packets). There was no cream in the room so we had to order that separately.
The breakfast is well done – the restaurant very pretty and the selection ample.
The drive to the hotel is weird to say the least: a switchback of backroads and small neighborhoods. You really are isolated and taxis are more expensive than you think. I rented a car and found it economical and not as intimidating as expected.
As many have noted- this is a good place to spent Hilton points, but if you are spending cash at the top of the season I would encourage you to comparison shop. I stayed on ‘cash and points’ and felt like a got a fiar deal… but if I had spent all cash I would have felt short changed.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AdornoLou

Dear AdornoLou,

Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I have addressed your comment to all department concerns. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Apart from this I am delighted that you were enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcoming you back again in the future.

Warm regards,