“Simply Thai divine!”

Nuch's Green Ta'lay Restaurant
Ranked #108 of 1,355 Restaurants in Ko Samui
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2012 via mobile

After booking at Conrad, we had identified this restaurant as a must go due to the reviews and being number 1 in koh samui! What luck. We knew hotel prices would be expensive and they were, albeit fantastic food served in hotel. However we were looking for something to match our excellent Bangkok and other Thailand places culinary experience.

This restaurant has a true Thai wizard in the kitchen. Arranged a table through Dave from Boston (not Scotland as I had presumed via the accent! I'm showing my age!) and upon arrival we were warmly greeted and sat at our reserved table outside. Dave is very knowledgable and proud of all his dishes on the menu (vast selection!!!). For starters, lovely tempura prawns ( so fresh and batter is light and tasty) with papaya salad made to our less spicy taste (or at least for her good self). The papaya salad is a must!!!! Absolutely beautiful and best I have tasted. We went with Daves selections for mains : fish with taramind, red curry (spicy!! Yum!) and the sweet and sour prawn with some steamed rice. Good suggestion on wine to accompany our dishes. The food was out of this world! Seriously........

After we had some cocktails which were made by their excellent lady waiter and only in the ritz or Waldorf will you get a G'n'T similar. She is a real star and asset to the establishment. So Dave's wife, the chef deserves the greatest plaudits. Whilst we unfortunately never got the chance to meet her, I have only the highest of admiration for her ability in the kitchen. Prices very reasonable. Food is extremely reasonable and beers and cocktails the same. Wine is normal pricing which you would expect as imported. However meal for two including wine less than £20 per head.

It was so good we returned the following evening!!! This time changing mains to include duck panang curry, fried prawns with garlic and pepper, green curry and sweet and sour pork (her good self loves a nice non MSG sweet and sour). With beers and cocktails less than £15 a head and this included ordering a second dish of the panang curry ( prawn) as the first was just way too good!

Everyone in the restaurant is so nice and friendly and this is a real gem. Not only no1 in koh samui but a contender for Thailand thanks to the chef!!!!

Just to add, restaurant is close to two supermarkets - 7/11 and another Thai (cheaper!) and an ATM that works with no problem and not a rip off!

Can't say enough good things about this restaurant except : SIMPLY DIVINE!

2  Thank WorldwideTravellerRo

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Hi All

Dropped in for a dinner the food was very good but the evening got of to a shaky start, we drove into the restaurant grounds where we were quickly told we should not be driving.

After tensions cooled we had the best thai food on the island. Food can be prepared with different levels of spiciness for those whom don't like it hot. Evening turned out to be very enjoyable. Prices are very good for the quality.

a must visit if you looking for great thai-food.

Just don't park on the grass.

1  Thank Stiaan D
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We had dinner at this restaurant as it was close to where we were staying. We have eaten a lot of Thai food in Thailand and elsewhere, so based on the ecstatic reviews we read on Tripadvisor we were looking forward to being blown away by the quality of the cuisine. Sadly, the opposite was true. The food was tasty and well presented but by no stretch of the imagination did it match the gushing reviews we had read. Perhaps it was the dishes we ordered, Steamed Snapper with Ginger and Mushrooms (bland), Green Thai Curry with Chicken (overly sweet despite being described as “spicy”), Stir Fried Cabbage with Garlic and Oyster Sauce and Stir Fried Duck with Chilli (tasty). I would also correct the impression that the restaurant moved under duress from its beach front location to make way for a ghastly building. The American owner is very pleased to have moved, he told us it was he who sold his property to the developers who are constructing a hotel. Part of the contract of sale is that the hotel is not permitted to have its own restaurant so that guests can eat at the Green Talay!

Finally, if you wish to dine there be advised that the restaurant does not accept debit/credit cards, but if you are short of cash there is an ATM at the 7/11 next door.

2  Thank tarkastad
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This place has the best tasting Thai cuisine available. The service is awesome and the freshness and flavors of the dished are amazing. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody.

1  Thank Lisa2012485
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I stayed at the Conrad resort and went for dinner. I went with expectation and it turned out to be beyond my expectation. Besides the cheap price, the food was so good. I do not know if it is authentic Thai food, but I do know it was so delicious. I and my wife ordered tempura shrimp, coconut chicken soup, baby cabbage, chicken curry and tamarind deep fried fish, all were very yammy. The host was very welcoming and passionate to introduce and recommend their dish I have never seen before. Although the guests kelp coming beyond what they could possibly handled and made guests wait for their foods for a long time, it was still worth waiting considering the tasty foods. We wanted to say goodbye and thank you for their wonderful food when we left, but we couldn’t because the host was already so busy and kelp running around. Beware to follow our tips: go early to enjoy the food and leave before the guests start gathering.

1  Thank CHENCHIAHUNG