“Great Tigers”

Ranked #88 of 154 things to do in Ko Samui
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited here on 10-04-14. It is a bit run down but a great place to visit, particularly for kids. The aquarium is fun and we enjoyed the tiger show. The best part was having our photos with the tiger. She is big and very much alert. You could also have photos with a tiger cub that day. Enjoyed the day very much.

3  Thank Ian W

Reviewed 23 April 2014

OK after reading the reviews on here we very nearly didn't visit however I'm so glad we did. We had a fantastic time and found the staff very friendly, they greeted us with the usual Thai warm welcome. After visiting various animal attractions in the UK and America we felt the animals were well looked after. All the cages were extremely clean, with fresh food and water. Yes some of the cages are maybe are too small in some peoples opinions but at least the animals were well looked after and not being badly treated. People keep pets in smaller areas than this and don't get criticised but this place gets knocked for it.
Whilst at the Tiger Zoo we swam with a sea-lion, this was an amazing experience and the staff gave us 2 photo's and a CD for our swim with 107 top quality photo's on it. We had our photo's taken with an otter, owl, eagle and toucan. We also had lunch by the beach which was yummy. We had our photo taken with the Bengal tiger and we fed a 3 month old tiger cub, again I must stress the animals were well looked after and showed NO signs of not being happy or drugged.
We witnessed a keeper hosing a tiger enclosure out and the tigers engaged by jumping up to the fence and chasing the water spray, they looked happy and very lively. If these beautiful creatures were living in the wild they would be hunted for pleasure so at least here they are safe.
The aquarium had a huge range of fish and the tanks were very clean. We loved looking at fish native to the Koh Samui shorelines.
We are glad we choose to ignore all the negative comments and make our own minds up. If you choose to visit I hope you aren't disappointed. I believe the staff looked after the animals very well, after all it is in their best interests too because otherwise they wouldn't haven't jobs.
If I'm honest the only part of the day I didn't really like was the tiger show, I would be happy just to see these beautiful creatures, I don't need to see them perform as they did in old circuses, that is my only criticism.
Samui Aquarium and Tiger Zoo thank you for a wonderful experience and day.

5  Thank TracyDommett
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Dont go there it is a dated place the animals are kept in very small cages no room to move they charge a lot of money to get in and looks like something from years ago we did not stay for the tiger show could not bare to see what they did it reminded me of a circus this place needs the WWE to look into it

3  Thank dariandoreen
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The zoo is very small and price expensive for what it is but the kids very enjoy it.
The beach on the back of the zoo is beautiful.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This place needs to be closed and should not call itself a zoo and I have seen better laid out and equipped home fish tanks than this aquarium. I could only feel sad for the fish, birds and animals, especially the big cats (see my pic of a beautiful leopard). My partner was almost in tears at the squalid conditions they keep those beautiful creatures enclosed in. Last I knew, concrete was not that prevalent on the African plains and Indian jungles. I know that people get their wages from this place, but I cannot endorse this as a way to make a baht. Koh Samui is not known for big cats, so its not as if we are supporting or seeing anything native to Koh Samui and supporting a breeding programme. This is just plain voyeurism at its worst. Let them all go. You can have your pic taken with the beautiful tiger, but it is caged and there was a tiger cub, mewling and separated from its mum, on its own in a concrete pen just waiting to be put in the lap of a tourist. Just awful. Better off giving your money to the world wildlife fund and spending more time on Samui's beaches. As for the fish. There are not even any notices telling you what you are staring at!!! Needless to say, the tanks are bare, with a couple of rocks and all these are doing is holding down the air pipes. All in all a sad place and I do not recommend it at all...even for kids.

5  Thank Andypth