“I will certainly be back at some point to take my advanced diving course.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dive South East Asia - CLOSED

Dive South East Asia
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive South East Asia is one of the longest standing members of the Pattaya dive community with over a decade in the industry and a team of friendly staff who live and breathe diving. We speak many languages and accomodate all divers and snorkelers of any experience level, from beginner all the way to PADI proffesional Dive South East Asia can take you there!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Cromer, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I will certainly be back at some point to take my advanced diving course.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I wasn't recommended to ‘Dive South East Asia’ by a friend or lured by any fancy flyers or advertising.
I was passing on the Baht bus and hopped off when I saw a sign.
I called in to the shop and was met by Joe, who expertly talked me through what I wanted to know.
-No hard sell.
We arranged a date for my 3 day open diving course and that was that.
There is a six hour video to watch and Joe lent me his personal video player to take to my hotel to enable me to watch the video at my leisure.
Joe's driver duly collected me from my hotel and dropped me at the shop.
Conveniently, there is a bar/restaurant adjacent as part of the dive shop, so time for a quick coffee and some toast before we begin.
There are five other persons diving today and Joe brings along a fellow instructor.
After a preliminary safety talk we don equipment, go through the buddy checks and away we go......
We jump into about 3 mtrs of water and swim to the shallows.
We are taken through the basic shallow water safety training and we go for our first dive.
Back on the boat we have a short buffet lunch and I am put through my paces again, testing my tread water and swimming abilities.

Day two:
I discover my nemesis - partial and full mask clearance. For some reason, I struggle with this exercise. Joe spends a lot of time on this with me and I admire his dogged patience as we go over and over and over again.
We decide to move on and come back to this on day three. So off we go for further training and my first deep water dive.
That was pretty awesome – so much to see underwater, you just don’t realize what is down there.
We do several of the required training actions whilst in the deep.

Day three:
Make or break for me, if I can’t complete the mask exercises, then I cannot get signed off for my open water.
We get all our equipment on, do our buddy checks and in we go. We swim to the shallows and it is straight into mask exercises. We spend way too long on this, because I am still not getting it.
I can see Joe getting frustrated, but he doesn’t lose his cool. Time and time again we go through it.
Eventually, it clicks into place – how the hell was that so difficult?
I hope I can complete it in the deep water trial….
Back on the boat for a spot of lunch and some banter.
In we go, deep water time.
Down the anchor line we go-deeper and deeper.
At the bottom we go for a little swim. Then it’s time….. we go through our ‘out of air exercises’, cramp, buoyancy tests and partial and full mask clearance.
That’s it, done. What was the problem?

We continue our dive, which is amazing then back on the boat and back slapping all round!

Time for a spot of sunbathing on the boat on the way back in, then a few cold beers in the bar whilst I complete my written exams.

I would certainly recommend ‘Dive South East Asia’. It’s a no fancy thrills way of learning to dive.
What you see is what you get. I enjoyed my 3 days of diving; the company was good, the teaching was delivered in a thorough, but casual way, must of all I had fun.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Grahamgrash

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Third class diving with first class price”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Was bad. One kind cheap meal on dinner, boat was basic no comfort ,boat staff angry everytime. On diving zone many speed boats tours dangerously. Never again . One good thing was instructor mr G .

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Cem3165
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Another great experience...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Will always enjoy coming back...Did my Rescue diver course the last time I returned to Dive SEA in September 2012 with instructor Mr Deejay Sullivan, loved it. Always look forward to returning, very charming staff and great instructor. See you soon Dive SEA!.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Jeremy B
Mumbai
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“BAD Experience !!! Go somewhere else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

I took the beginners dive in Oct 12 along with a group of friends. We were super excited about the dive and Deejay was a nice guy. The dive team was friendly and good. It was the off season they gave us a discount of 250 bahts per head on the diving costs. They then convinced us to take underwater photography as a part of the packkage and charged us 300 Bahts etc PER PERSON extra for that. Problem began when we went underwater for the dive and discovered that the camera was out of battery. Deejay took 2 pics and then says he is out of battery. He asks US is we are carrying spare batteries. Really? Carrying spare batteries is not top of my list when I am doing my first dive. we paid a total of 1500 bahts for 5 persons for the photos and these guys didnt bother checking their batteries. It got worse later when we went back to shore. Deejay was apologetic but claimed that if we asked for the money back then he wouldnt get paid. The owner was very rude and completely unapologetic when we discussed this and said that since we had got a discount initially we shouldnt have got the photo package anyways. Extremely unprofessional and clearly thought that his job was to just take the money in and not provide service. He then gave us some kind of waterproof bag as a free gift to compensate us since he didnt want to refund the money. Whole incident left a very bad taste in the mouth. They didnt even email us the 2 group pics that were taken despite follow up.

Also-we had told them a day before that we were vegetarians but for lunch they had only veg rice for us (with egg) and no veg main course. When they proudly proclaim that package includes lunch the least they could do is give us a decent meal. We requested for 5-10 mins general swimming in the water post the dive-just to have some fun in a group. They said this would be chargeable EXTRA!!

Overall experience was not good at all. WOuld not recommend anyone else to take this up. When you do these activities with friends the idea is to have fun and not get into these kind of money issues spoiling the trip

Visited October 2012
5 Thank DBSMumbai
Knutsford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great day out for all the family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

This has to rank as one of the best features of our Pattaya experience. Our son took his Junior Open Water course here after a great confidence building discover scuba adventure with a truly dedicated instructor. Could not fault any part of the whole day(s) for all the family. Memories like these are very hard to find - cannot wait to get back there and sample some more of the top rated atmosphere. You do a great job and make everyone else feel good by enjoying it yourselves! A top class team effort!

Visited August 2012