“Still top of the class”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
bradford
“Still top of the class”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I always visit this place at least once whenever I am in Pattaya. This year was no exception. The atmosphere is second to none and the food is consistently the best in town.

The pate and the lamb 5 hours were superb and we had to leave some of the lamb to save room for the magnificent cheese board (still the best selections of cheeses I have had anywhere in the world).

Keep it up Jose - long may you reign!

• Visited November 2013

• Thai first
Bangkok
“Still the best French food in town”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Last night was my first visit to Au Bon Coin in about two years. I am not sure why it had been so long between visits, but that won't happen again. My memories of the food cooked by Jose matched the reality of eating it. Again, it is a case of "Close your eyes, and you are in France.". The food at Au Bon Coin is authentic French and ranges from the slow-cooked to the char-grilled. Proteins include, fish, beef, chicken, rabbit and different kinds of offal. The atmosphere is a pleasant change from all the overly modern and overly lit places in Pattaya.

The menu offers regular dishes and specials. Last night there were three in our group. For appetizer, one person ordered the rillettes (this comes in a large pot big enough to serve a small army and you are invited to take until full), another the onion soup, and I went for the beef tongue. The rillette is smooth and tasty, as was the onion soup - well at least that's what my fellow diners said. My beef tongue was superb! I guess tongue is not for everyone, but it certainly satisfied. It had clearly been cooked for hours as it was soft and creamy and accompanied by a piquant creamy sauce flavored with capers and vinegar.

Mains took a while to decide, but two decided on fish and I went for the rabbit. The fish was beautifully cooked and fresh . My slow-cooked rabbit was excellent. Most of us were full at this stage, but one called for cheese. Au Bon Coin's cheese plate is a thing of beauty. Again, the entire platter consisting of over 20 different soft and hard cheeses is deposited on the table, and the guest is invited to take as much as desired. While I resisted, it all looked and smelled great.

Service at Au Bon Coin is friendly and professional. Wine is available by carafe, or you can choose your own from its well-stocked wine room.

Au Bon Coin really is the best French food in Pattaya. Highly recommended.

• Visited December 2013
Sydney
“Lovely Place”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I go to this establishment quite often as it is one of the family's favourite restaurants. The restaurant has a nice setting, very quiet, a nice place to relax. If going there, I would recommend the 5 hour lamb which was marvelous. Do make a book as the place is almost always full.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Trendy G
Cholburi, Chon Buri, Thailand
“The Best ever in Pattaya.”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The best food, the best service, the best style, the best location in the city. The Au Bon Coin is in a private garden with light in all the tree, on a very silent location, 2 min from the city. We eat there more then 20 time and every time it is 5 star food.

• Visited October 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Very UNHAPPY WITH THE FOOD AND SERVICE”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Well where do I start from the beginning I guess,well me and a couple of friends thought we would go to our favorite french restaurant the Au Bo Coin,arriving by car which was a BMW Series 5 my friends car which was parked out in the lane way before jose had security watching over all the vehicles now there is NO security.

My friends sat at the bar the staff were slow to ask what we wanted to drink after 10 mins we pushed the issue for a drink,After that we asked to go to the table slow service aircon was on 28 degrees it was hot as hell in the restaurant we all noticed jose had fans going what a joke I was sweating and so were my friends jose was full of sweat under the arms and back.We asked for the aircon to be cooler with no response so we sat sweeting at the dinner table.Staff were not helpful I asked for water 15 mins later it arrived,dinner was of very poor quality sce was runny,steak underdone,the service was poor and well below standard,the food this time was unacceptable staff were very unprofessional in there duties.The salad was of poor quality.
I could not wait to leave the restaurant my friends will never return to the restaurant again im sure its time for jose to retire as the standards have dropped dramatically .

• Visited October 2013