“A Treasure hunt to find the place, but what a meal ! Best Beef in town”
Review of Au Bon Coin

Au Bon Coin
Ranked #79 of 1,033 Restaurants in Pattaya
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have known the original "Au Bon Coin" restaurant for a long time, back in 1998 when it was right across Mike Shopping Mall downtown. Back in the days, this restaurant's main specialty was Rib Eye steak and homemade fried with pepper steak- a simple but yet French delicacy.

16 years later, I decided to make a comeback and take my wife for a romantic wine out dinner.
I had heard the place had "become the place to be in Pratumnak Hill".
Also, It was perfect timing as my wife offered me a top notch GPS for my birthday- and - Believe me that place was bloody hard to find. After turning and turning around Pratumnak hill, we eventually found our Holy Grail with a flashlight ! Right about time as I was starting to get the munchies and almost gave up the hunt.

First good impression: Located in a nice villa surrounded by lush trees and plants, that place gave me the feeling that I could be anywhere BUT in Pattaya ! Very relaxing.
Secondly, they let us in with my little Jack Russel doggy (in its bag) which was a relief for my wife.

Then the food.

Told you about the beef. Told you I could still recall the tenderness of the rib eye steak 16 years ago. Well, I was not dispointed at all. I almost weeped when they brought the wooden plate - unchanged since 1998 ! Rib Eye was perfect. Really really good, tender, generous portion, fries were homemade and the sauce, Mama Mia !

Trust me on food, I am French.

A nice Chardonnay to go with the Beef and I then indulged myself into Chocolate profiterolles for pudding. Please note they do it French way (filled up with vanilla ice cream, not whipping cream)
A nice spirit to digest this great meal : Armagnac liquor , and a Nespresso what else !
and I was ready to rock the boat !

i would definitely recommend this restaurant for the quality and freshness of the products they use. Homemade French food but yet not sophisticated French food.
Located in a cosy and romantic place. Price is on the medium high but it worth it.

In case you don't have a GPS and a flashlight, just google the address before you go !
The owner can be a bit grumpy when it comes to booking a table. Just don't give up !

1  Thank Renaud76200

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Difficult to find, but worth it. Great feel, and polite service. No problems and the 5 hr lamb was superb with some to spare to rake home. Grand rumbaba appeared at the end too. Looking forward to next visit.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Have visited this restaurant several times and although the service has always left a bit to be desired the food was always very good and good value for money however on our last visit the food can only be discribed as disgusting and unfit for human consumtion, the starters were average but after a lengthy wait the mains arrived...i got off lightly as my beouf bourginon was just stone cold but my husbands fish dish was a differant matter, after a few mouthfuls he said this just doesent taste right and he gave me a forkful of fish to try and thank god i smelled it first as it just smelt rank..it smelt so off i nearly threw up! normally we would have complained but any of you that has visited this resaurant and met the owner will understand we decided it would just be less trouble to pay our bill and leave but how my husband wasent ill i will never know, we will never set foot in there again!!!

5  Thank toffeepops1
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I am been told to visit this restaurant for authentic French food.

Difficult to find, down in a street in Prathunak. But, after all, isn't a big deal.

The atmosphere is what I loved the most, in a wood house with a warm and friendly decor. The food was great; I had Foie Gras with fruits, awesome. Well, french they know how to do it.
As for main, I had a Rib-Eye, good too.

Wine selection is massive and good value for money.

I will be back.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We have been several times, we found it hard to find, not friendly, food average, veal looked like lamb shank, still not sure if it was veal.
No mint sauce allowed.