“"Pygmy Place"”
Review of Grand Residence

Grand Residence
Ranked #201 of 586 Pattaya B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2013

This hotel is emblematic of everything that is wrong with the Jomtien section of Pattaya: broken down, worn out, overpriced and of little use to anyone who wants to enjoys a quality vacation experience. Indeed, even many of the "girls" of the area exhibited the exact same characteristics just described and like the many tourists traps of the area, should have been put out to pasture a long time ago.

The one bright spot of this place was the front desk clerk, Koy. She is clearly the "go to" person when you who need had any question or other concern. And there were many. Simply put, this hotel's inability to consistently provide services without something going wrong left a negative impression to us. At the beginning, whatever days Koy was not there, were the days when our bedroom wasn't made up correctly; or some question was met with stern silence from the attending clerk because whoever was on the front desk that day didn't speak a word of English, or any other language for that matter, except Thia.

It was clear to us that the hotel owner (or owners) has a well known illness called "in absentia." Except for the front desk clerk, we never saw anyone would would even closely resemble management and from what we could see, the owners obviously simply don't care. For example, don't ask for a second key for a room that is to be occupied by two folks. After 3 days, we gave up asking for a 2nd key. Koy told us that she had to get from a management person. Who's running this place?

Nice try Grand Residence, but your name is a serious misnomer. It should be more accurately described and called "Pygmy Place."

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 April 2013

i have just done a tour of Thailand and i have to say that this is the best hotel that i stayed in. I don't have anything bad to say about the hotel and i paid approx £20 a night. the room was massive with a sea view, Ok it was a 7 minute walk to the beach, but well worth it.
One thing that i will point out is how well the staff was, from the lady on the front desk, to the cleaners, I had read bad reports about the staff on the front desk, But i was always given a nice smile and nothing was too much trouble, they even sprayed the room for mosquitoes. on a plus note, there is a 7/11 under the hotel with beer bars and street food only 2 minutes walk away. If your looking for Great value, then look no further. On a negative note, We have finished off our tour in jomtien but booked into the Chef at Home which was booked before our tour.

Room Tip: Book high floor for sea View, Nice to sit outside with a beer(from 7/11) and watch the world go by.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank malct
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Rooms are okay for the price but the curtains don't block all the light and the traffic noise is over the top. Unfortunately a lot of idiots in Thailand choose these racing exhausts for their 1.2 litre engine cars so thats what woke me up several times sleeping there.
Contrary to other reviews the staff were ok and even gave us a free extra bed.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The rooms are nice enough in the Grand Residence, with free wi-fi and a 7-Eleven convenience store on the ground floor and an excellent market with shops, bars and restaurants next door. The downside is that it can be very noisy and the front-facing rooms have no insulation from traffic noise. The reception staff are not the friendliest and their main aim seems to be to make sure you pay upfront for everything. It is a 10-minute walk to Jomtien Beach, but you can use the swimming pool at a sister hotel on the beachfront. This is a nice bonus. I would stay here again if the price was right, but I don't think it would suit too many other travellers.

Room Tip: High floors are the best, cheapest rooms have a strange shape, but are okay
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 December 2012

This was the 4th year I was back at this hotel. At the beginning was ran from 2 sweet Lady, especially Apple, doing special promotion to make sure that the costumers will spend their next holiday at this hotel, from my and other costumers testimony they never cheated us; room cleaning was scheduled 2 times a week, but Apple let them clean every day. The first year I was there for 2 months, the next years (as I was already retired), more than 3 months pro year. Last year 2011 I pay one month in advance for 2012 for the same room on 7th floor, far away from the noise street below, as I plan to stay 6 months, the receptionist Apple make a special price of 11000 Baht per month, Last march 2012 as I arrived there, with the reservation receipt, the new women at the reception, with the BIG BOSS Lady on the phone (from the Sarita Chalet and Spa Hotel in Jomtien), after seeing my name on the reception book. She announced me that the receipt was invalid, because signed from Apple and I must pay the full price of 17000 Baht for the room on the noise 4th floor. As I was almost calling the police and telling them that I will complain at the travelling agencies that work with them, she make me, only pay the difference of 6000 Bath for the noise 4th floor room, condition: that the next days I will go to the police station to denounce the poor Apple, that I never did. I stayed there less than 1 month. My opinion is that the Big BOSS Lady on the phone( that was calling from the Sarita Chalet and Spa Hotel in Jomtien), solved her financial problem and then blamed the innocent Ladies, especially the poor Apple in let throw her in prison(because she is poor and she has not money to defend herself). I suggest the travelling agencies that have this HOTEL in their web side, to go first they self and have a personal experience with this tyrant Lady Boss (especially over her poor workers), and then suggest this Hotel to the poor costumers, wishing to have a pleasant and relaxing vacation by the hospitable Thai people.

Room Tip: on the 7th floor the room are better for the see wiew
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2012

i checked in and paid 5000 bacht deposit only to be told when i checked out that the lady on reception who took had run off wih one million bacht including my deposit presenty taking legal action to recover this also rooms very bad tiolet leaking mattress rock hard would advise any one to steer well clear of this hell hole.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank robert p
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just checked out of the Grand Residence Hotel in Jomtien,Pattaya Thailand& must say it has been the worst experience ever in all my many years travelling.I checked in the day before my birthday& was told i would have to move rooms at 12pm the next day as someone else had booked that room.This is when my trouble started.The new room on a lower floor was bigger,but had not been prepaired for habitation at all.The tv was not working,the walls were dirty,the shower was broken& there was a massive cockroach on some big internal bedroom shutter doors.Also the door to my room would not lock from the outside when i left the hotel,it was one of those door handle button things that you press in from the inside to lock.It had another lock underneath this one& as you are supplied with two different keys I used this one& it worked.I returned back to the hotel at 1am the next morning after going out on the night of my birthday to find that my door would not open.I told the night porter on reception& after at least ten minutes of trying with a big bunch of extra keys,he could not open it either.I was taken back down to reception& told I would have to sleep in another room on the seventh floor& the engineer would be there in the morning to fix the door.I went up in the lift to this room only to find its door would'nt open either.I went back to reception& was now very angry.I was given another key to yet another room& after a struggle managed to get this door open& sleep in the room.I was then woken up at 7:30am by the same night porter& a maid telling me I had to swap back to my lower floor room.I complained about all this the next day to the receptionist& asked for a refund,but was told i could not have one.I then asked for a piece of paper& a pen& put a complaint in writing addressed to the manager& the owner.During this day I was also telephoned from reception to be told the the engineer would be coming to my room to fix the shower.He turned up with a new spray tube that you use in the toilet in Thailand to clean your bum with!He replaced the old one with that,but in fact there was nothing wrong with it.I could not sleep the next night because of the thought of all the problems I had had with this hotel& the fact that there are telephone cables right next to the bedroom windows which make a very loud& disturbing tapping sound every few hours throughout the night.Another thing which does'nt add to a good nights rest is the fact that there is a motorcycle crash on the sandy main road outside the rooms every night.There had been one each night I was there.I used part of my sleepless night to pack my bag,determined I would not spend another night in that hotel.
I checked out of this modern 1500 bhat hotel the next morning and found another older hotel nearby that had everything I needed& everything that worked for only 600 bhat.
Avoid the Grand Residence Hotel at all costs,it looks good from the outside,but you may well have trouble sleeping& the problems I had with the room& the staff tainted the image for me of 'The Land of Smiles'

Room Tip: Stay in a cheaper better value 600 bhat hotel on Soi 7 with more caring staff& a much greater ch...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo