“Punjabi Perfection”

Price range: US$5 - US$80
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Indian by Nature is a refined and distinguished family run restaurant located in the heart of Pattaya. The restaurant excels in offering guests an array of Indian dishes that range from traditional regional dishes to innovative concept dishes designed to appeal to Thai and Western palates. Consistently ranked on TripAdvisor as one of the top three restaurants in Pattaya, Indian by Nature is a member of the prestigious Chaîne des Rôtisseurs, a historic international organisation dedicated to highlighting the most notable gourmet restaurants in the world. The food is complemented by an exciting list of new world wines, held in a glass, temperature controlled wine cellar.The restaurant founder and Head Chef, Mrs Av Khanijou has trained in New Delhi under notable chef Savitri Bhatia and as far afield as Switzerland with head chef of the renowned Ambassador Hotel, Rosie Straubhar.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I'm recommending this restaurant for five reasons.

1. The food ... obviously! We Brits have come to enjoy Indian food over the years and often talk of 'going for a curry': something nice to do but nothing out of the ordinary. Well, Indian by Nature is extraordinary. The secret lies in the subtlety of the flavours. Instead of hitting you over the head with a curry-rush, the food stays in your mouth and says, 'Wait just a moment, I've got something to tell you.'. Then, slowly, it begins to unwind on the tongue like fabulous wine. You sit there, and you chew, and you think, 'this isn't a curry, this is cuisine. The real deal. I want more and I want it often.'

2. The decor & ambience. Lighting a restaurant is so hard, but they have it just right. Then there are the interesting paintings on the walls -- modern in style but not overpoweringly so -- the antiques, the filmy drapes ... it all adds up to a room where you really feel you want to eat and linger. The neighbourhood isn't that great, so this counts as a haven. I noticed on both my visits how popular it is with couples seeking a quiet, romantic experience. I can understand that.

3. The friendly young staff, quick and attentive.

4. Mr. S. Satish Kumar. (Really he should be No.1, but I guess you want to know about the food first, no?) His card describes him as General Manager, but he's much more than that. He's the host. The 'spirit of the place', if you want to go all poetical (and after such a meal as this, you might well.) He will spend as much time as you need to explain things, then he's gone until you need him again, which he will sense without being told. Charming, witty, knowledgeable hosts in this sense are as rare as angels in Hades.

5. Stability. I first visited his restaurant in 2010. In June 2014 I walked into exactly the same restaurant, despite the recent military coup, despite the looming recession outside. Quality hadn't changed a bit. This too is a rare thing.

Do I have criticisms? No, but two observations don't belong in the list above. It's not cheap. However, I'm a big believer in 'you get what you pay for'. The value-for-money factor can't be faulted. I'd rate it as an outstanding 'Buy'. Second, I feel a slight tinge of sympathy for Mr. Kumar's youthful but immaculately trained staff. He runs a right ship, and rightly so. You will know Mr. Kumar when you see him. He's The Man.

Finally, check out the list of available gins. Unbelievable!

3  Thank John T
Aphirudee, Owner at Indian By Nature, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Mr. John T,

Your review is quite extraordinary in that it details just about every aspect which jointly make up a top notch restaurant.

As we all know, running a restaurant is no mean feat and I'm glad that you appreciate and laud Satish's effort in ensuring that operations run seamlessly.

Thank you so much for the superlative review! We look forward to seeing you again soon and a table will be ready and waiting whenever you feel like 'going for a curry'!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

From the moment I entered the Indian by nature restaurant in jontiem, the staff were very helpful the food was superb I really enjoyed my visit

2  Thank kev5561
Aphirudee, Owner at Indian By Nature, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Mr/Ms kev5561,

We are happy to know that you had a memorable experience at Indian By Nature.

Thank you for taking out the time to write.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were introduced to "Indian by Nature" very shortly after it first opened in 2004(?) and make sure to visit at least once on every trip we make to Pattaya, Our most recent visit in February must have been at least our 25th.

We have never been disappointed; All the food has been excellent; The staff are attentive and the overall ambience is great.

As I have said elsewhere, there is a group of top class restaurants in Pattaya/Jomtien which we try to ensure visiting each holiday and this is definitely one of them.

Filling in the "Customer Survey" after a recent visit we were asked "What can we do to improve your dining experience?", My reply, which caused amusement was "It ain't Broke, It don't need fixing"

Thank you Av, and your team, for always providing an outstanding culinary experience.

2  Thank ChrisDavison
Aphirudee, Owner at Indian By Nature, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear ChrisDavison,

Thank you so very much for the appreciative review which brought a warm smile and a sense of achievement to the hard-working Indian By Nature team.

Returning customers are happy customers. We thank you for being a constant patron and value your custom and opinion.

A table will be ready and waiting the next time you feel like visiting!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My friend and I visited this restaurant last week as part of a birthday celebration. We had both read about this place and expectations were high. Dare I say that it did not disappoint. The restaurant could not be faulted in any way. We received such a warm welcome from the doorman, the staff and the owner/manager. Food was excellent and the service to be commended; discrete and professional in every way The overall impression is that the restaurant obviously prides itself on the quality of its ingredients and high standards of presentation and taste. A fantastic find and an experience to be definitely repeated.

2  Thank David0ff1700

Dear Mr. David0ff1700,

We are delighted that we got it just right for you and yours!

Right from the onset - we opened our doors in March 2004 - we set very high standards for ourselves and have always worked hard at maintaing the quality of food and service.
We are glad that our efforts didn't go unnoticed.

We look forward to welcoming you again, soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I cannot believe that there are 4 restaurants in Pattaya that are better than Indian By Nature!! A wonderfuil meal, fabulous service and an ambience that was perfect. I would suggest that this is one of the finest indian styled restaurants that I have ever been to.

Dear Ms/Mr Moneybags2014,

Thank you so very much for the superlative review! You definitely made our day!

Please do make yourself known and join us in a toast the next time you visit.