“Great New Hotel! Fantastic Location.”
Review of LK The Empress

LK The Empress
Ranked #52 of 465 Hotels in Pattaya
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The Empress is a wonderfully located Hotel. On Beach Road, Soi12, almost a neighbour to Mike's Mall and just a stones throw from Royal Garden Plaza.
Rooms are well appointed, all luxuries (including a Jacuzzi Bath tub in you very own room), coffee maker, micro-wave, bathrobe, Sea View balcony, personal digital safe, flat screen Sony TV & DVD player, etc. Very good house keeping and everything spick and span. Fantastic pool (very clean) on 3rd.floor with attached Gym.
Friendly Reception and good room service. Daily Breakfast Buffet is very boring (same menu - every single day, for all the 8 nights I stayed) Prices are pretty reasonable considering the Grandeur & Location. Security is very good and one would feel very safe here.
Would certainly recommend to friends.

Room Tip: They offer DVD Movies - free, but have only 3 titles, so I suggest you carry your own
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Raj1960

Reviewed 13 April 2012

We were excited to relocate from the Siam Bayview to the LK Empress as it seems to be a great value with a great location. Our first experience with the front desk staff was excellent as the lovely Ms. Fon was very cheery and and took great care of us. It turns out that there is little consistency with the quality of the staff and our experience took several negative turns which I'll get to later.

I'm not really into this gaudy French provincial motif (gold color paint on furniture), it's all facade. The walls are paper thin and the local Thai teens (under 17) who rented the room next to us had rowdy parties each night which dashed any hopes of slipping into "nocturnal bliss". We were assured by the front desk that they would check out the next day but they didn't. If we knew they would be there another night, we would have moved to another room or hotel.

The room we got was nice sized and pretty however the bed was rock hard and I was amazed that I could actually knock on it (gave me something to do when I laid there unable to sleep) and it sounded like a drum. The room was spotless clean and the cleaning staff was very nice and professional (as were the bellmen).

Ladies... bring your own lighting for makeup. The tiny overhead spotlights in the bathroom cast a scary lighting effect to the face which is reminiscent of the Universal monster movies of the 1930's (think Bride of Frankenstein). The light was so dim that my wife had to go out into the living area in order to do her makeup.

Other than the atrocious lighting, the bathroom was done nicely and the multi-head shower unit was appreciated.

The City view room actually looked straight into the side of a featureless building. Between the hotel and that white wall was what looked to be the remains of a demolished building with some of the walls still left, covered by a few random sheets of of aluminum roofing. It was covered with trash and looked like it was inhabited by some homeless souls. A depressing view.

Our package included the breakfast buffet which was pretty typical for Thailand... boring. Many hot trays of overcooked processed meats (sausages - actually poor hot dogs) some fresh fruits (sadly with the massive varieties of local fruits they only serve the usual... cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple and papaya. There is the usual omelet table however the cooks didn't know English so it was virtually impossible to make any adjustments to the order.

For us the biggest disappointment about the breakfast was the coffee as the Nescafe "instant" coffee/espresso machine produced a muck which was undrinkable. Whether one selects coffee or espresso it all tasted the same and I'm very curious as to what ingredients they use for the mixes as it was not reminiscent of coffee. Our solution was to start the morning with a stroll down Beach Road to Starbucks and return to the Empress to enjoy real coffee with our breakfast.

Although we were disappointed with much of the above, I would have been much more forgiving about our experience since this is truly a party town and it caters to a different clientele than you'd find in a lot of cities. What really soured me on the experience was the rude and uncaring treatment that we received at the front desk when we were trying to check out.

I informed Ms. Gay (Gai?) at the front desk that we were running late and would not check out until 2pm (they had told us originally that we had till 1pm). Ms. Gay refused to give us any leeway and spoke to us in a demeaning fashion. She said they would turn off the power to the room. I pleaded for a little compassion as my wife was in the shower and there was nobody waiting for the room yet. They turned off all the power to the room and my wife was left standing in a pitch black shower. She could not even see to get out of the enclosure. Luckily I was there to help her by opening the door/windows and letting a little light in. She could have fallen of course.

I went downstairs to complain to the front desk and Ms. Gai raised her voice at me and reprimanded me in front of the staff and other travelers. It was very embarrassing and uncalled for.

Bottom line.. I would not stay here again. I would like to repeat that Ms. Fon at the front desk was VERY professional and kind and I only wish she was on duty the day we checked out.

Room Tip: The city view looked into a trash pit. We didn't see the seaview rooms so I can't speak for...
6  Thank jkilthau
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This hotel has a fantastic location. right on the beach, and a short walk from 3 different shopping malls or walking street. The rooms are new, and were garishly decorated, but pretty large and definitely comfortable. The only real problem we had was that our air conditioning would stop working every other day or so. Maintenance was in our room on 4 different occasions to fix it, and the maintenance guy said that almost all the rooms had the same problem. Our room included a breakfast buffet, and it was pretty decent. It included western, as well as thai, items but it was not too varied. Pretty much the same thing every day. The swimming pool was medium sized, and had plenty of loungers and umbrellas. If you can get a good price, i would definitely recommend this hotel, especially after they get the air conditioning issues taken care of.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Pretty hotel, terrible customer service. Three ladies at the front desk are absolutely brain dead. They just stand around and smile. I tried to send a fax today through their fax machine. They kept telling me the fax on the other side wasn't working. I dialed the number on my cellphone and showed them that it was working. The lady kept saying, "It not workeeng...you go internet cafe." They really need a manager who cares about customers and wants to help the customer do their business. The three ladies just stand around and don't help anybody do anything. Really surprised at how poor the customer service is at a hotel that is trying to be an upscale hotel. Really disappointing.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't need anything from the hotel...they can't do anything but put you in a r...
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Excellent place to stay, good location , very good deluxe rooms sea facing.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Checkin: Amazing decoration and ambience of the hotel lobby, fresh flowers and welcome drink. Desk staff prepared with direct hotel booking and requests. No fuss and professional service even while training a new staff member. Bellboy service content and waiting to assist.
Room (beach view balcony) absolutely opulent with french overtones. Made for romance.
Full service kitchenette with stocked fridge and prices so cheap you wouldn't cross the road to a 7/11. Sexy bathroom in marble with 2 head shower and big spa tub. Pool located on 3rd floor and very comfortable and refreshing. Could use a bar service as a thought.
Overlooking beach road is very interesting. Comments and actions draw you to the balcony, even at 3.am. but room is very well soundproofed.
Buffet breakfast was good and as per expectation, staff attentive and wanting to assist. Buffet area manager is hotels downfall. Mean little man lacking customer service. Wanted a cuppa in my room with the amazing array of options there but only powdered milk provided. Asked the buffet manager for a small amount of milk in a glass and had to argue about paying him 70Bt to have it. Told him to stick it and bought a carton of milk at 7/11 cheaper. This man had contempt for guests. Noted on hotel report at end of stay. hope they actioned it. I will overlook him and absolutely recommend this hotel or any of the LK chain to all as first choice.

Room Tip: Balcony beachront for entertainment or back rooms if you have your own entertainment.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The LK Empress hotel seems fairly new, and the rooms are spacious and nicely furnished. The hotel is right on the main beach road directly across from the beach and less than a ten minute walk to the Walking Street. Ironically, I booked the room from Agoda who always has great prices and found I could have gotten a better price directly from the hotel (but that's the exception).

The hotel has a vast lobby---and---for whatever reason---the furniture is French Regency (??)(hence "LK Empress")---very ornate---which is very odd for a Thailand hotel and not at all---Thai. Obviously the owners seem to favor that kind of furniture but I can't say it doesn't feel---odd. But the rooms are a bit more restrained from the over the top furniture of the lobby. I think if Marie Antoinette took acid she might have furnished the lobby the way it was decorated. But considering that I only pass through the lobby on the way to the room---it was all fine as I realized I wasn't really in France as much as they'd like me to believe I was.

The hotel had a surprisingly good buffet breakfast---much better than I would have expected and you eat it on the downstairs patio in front of the hotel as you look out on the ocean.

All in all a greatlocation and a fresh clean and spacious room. And the staff was very nice. Price point dependent, I'd definitely consider returning.

Room Tip: The room sizes are apparently almost all the same (bathrooms change the most along with the view...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business